PDA

View Full Version : post processing effects

DanCanovas
05-10-07, 05:55 AM
does this option (making it look like an old film) cause a drop in frame rate? im not convinced I like using the feature so if I can bump up performance by not using it then I will. thanks in advance.

Dowly
05-10-07, 05:58 AM
Yes the FPS takes an hit if you use the post processing filter.

t0maz
05-10-07, 07:05 AM
Go to external camera, or periscope. If the card is too weak there will be frame drop and u will see that coursor move is not smooth. Go then to video options and try off/on different effect. Game will change it at the moment and u will see how it impact your cursor movement and what effects affect fps most. That way it is easy to find some optimal video settings. For example my radeon x1900 only valumetric fog is frame killer rest i set up to the max ;)

Hope this helps players to quick find optimal video settings

DanCanovas
05-10-07, 07:41 AM
thanks guys, much appreciated

TDK1044
05-10-07, 07:59 AM
With Volumeric fog and the event camera disabled, my mid range system with a 7600GT video card gets great results with this game, and everything is very smooth with the graphics maxed out.

DanCanovas
05-10-07, 08:02 AM
yeh I think im going to disable post processing effects and possibly volumetric fog. i think i might buy a new computer on pay day at the end of the month cos im in need of one anyway!

AVGWarhawk
05-10-07, 08:04 AM
That fog is a game killer. I use the PPF on my mid range system but only set the AA to X2. I get 15 FPS or better. Game very playable 15 FPS or better. I am, however, a big fan of PPF with this game.

DanCanovas
05-10-07, 08:10 AM
yeh ill try both and see what happens!

Galanti
05-10-07, 08:32 AM
I think it's about 2-3 fps hit on my 7950GT, so it's doable. But it's way to contrasty and grainy for my personally as is.

However, the effect parameters themselves are in a simple text file, so I may have a look at toning them down a bit.

DanCanovas
05-11-07, 07:33 AM
well i've taken them both off and it does run a bit better. i have decided i don't like the post processing effects, it makes me feel as though i'm not there if that makes sense.

SteamWake
05-11-07, 07:48 AM
The only thing that brought my system to its knees was "Enviromental Effects".

I play with PP filter off simply because I prefer it.

EE would be okay untill I come accross alot of active objects (when you need performance the most).

AVGWarhawk
05-11-07, 08:01 AM
Last night I turned off the PPF. I gained about 3-4 FPS. I then played with gamma setting as it was to washed out looking. I dropped the gamma to what looked like mid-day light with the sun and no clouds to me. I then set my AA to 6X. The picture looks pretty good and I like it just as much as the PPF. The bonus here is I gained the 3-4 FPS with this set up. In TBD view the FPS is 20+ which lets my mouse become much more fluid. The bridge view is 16+ on the FPS. For me 15 or better FPS is very playable to me. I like the fact my mouse is now fluid and much easier to work the TDC.

Bilge_Rat
05-11-07, 08:18 AM
I can't quite put my finger on it, but has anyone noticed that the post processing filter effect is more subtle in 1.2 than in 1.1?

I like the effect in 1.1 better, since I thought it had a richer looking texture. I think they probably had to chuck some HDR effects overboard to implement FSAA, that might also explain why everyone's FPS has gone up.

t0maz
05-11-07, 09:37 AM
The only thing that brought my system to its knees was "Enviromental Effects".

I play with PP filter off simply because I prefer it.

EE would be okay untill I come accross alot of active objects (when you need performance the most).

Do you use 1.2 patch? With 1.2 u can disable volumetric fog individualy and keep enviromental effects on.

Julius Caesar
05-11-07, 03:42 PM
just press ctrl+F8 and you will see your framerates

Hartmann
05-11-07, 05:13 PM
I donīt see differences in FPS using post processing filter... or noticeables, but i never used it because i donīt like this effect.

Ducimus
05-11-07, 05:57 PM
Id use PPF if it didnt look so grainy on the sub interior. Outside, i love it, inside, blech.

Payoff
05-12-07, 03:48 AM
well i've taken them both off and it does run a bit better. i have decided i don't like the post processing effects, it makes me feel as though i'm not there if that makes sense.

It makes me feel like I have sand in my eyes. Shut it off and never went back.

Canonicus
05-12-07, 03:58 PM
Love the PPF!......Make me feel like I'm right inside an old photo left inside a submariners scrapbook from WWII.

I don't suffer any FPS hits too. :up:

Sulikate
05-12-07, 07:46 PM
PFF doesn't seem to affect my frame rate, but I think it is a bit exagerated. I like to use it while "outside" my sub and to turn it off when "inside" (too grainy in my opinion).

DanCanovas
05-13-07, 10:37 AM
PFF doesn't seem to affect my frame rate, but I think it is a bit exagerated. I like to use it while "outside" my sub and to turn it off when "inside" (too grainy in my opinion).

I agree, outside its nice but i don't like it inside the boat

AVGWarhawk
05-13-07, 12:57 PM
Go grab the mod that removes the grainy look but still use PPF. It is awesome. The shader effect is there and the colors come alive. See it in the mod forums!

DanCanovas
05-13-07, 02:40 PM
Go grab the mod that removes the grainy look but still use PPF. It is awesome. The shader effect is there and the colors come alive. See it in the mod forums!

got it and its fantastic, thanks mate ! :up:

-Pv-
05-13-07, 04:23 PM
Video options are there in the first place because they have the potential of lowering the frame rates below what MIGHT be tolerable for the player on weaker systems. Of course there's a frame hit when you enable them. Just because your frames go from 105 to 100 doesn't mean the game is unplayable when you use them. Despite the horsepower needed to use them, the devs thought some people might enjoy them.

Don't take other people's advice as to what options to use. Try them and make up your own mind.

I like the PPF effect (the water is more colorful and appears to have more depth of texture) and my system is strong enough the game still plays crisp with it enabled.
-Pv-