PDA

View Full Version : New forum?

macky
05-10-07, 03:45 AM
I suggest creating a new forum to shove the argumentative posts in...something like SH4 Complaints forum (aka troll forum)...

Getting a little peeved of coming here looking for constructive and fun posts only to be fooled by topic titles and wander into a flaming session. Either posters flaming the complainers, or the complainers flaming the fan boys.

Otherwise, I think subsim may start to lose the maturity that was once prevalent in these boards...only to be left with pointless posts that subject the reader to prolongued headaches.

So I suggest moving these posts to another sub-forum in here because we have to move on...leaving this forum for those who are interested in the game and have viable constructive comments. Any flamers wandering onto a constructive post should be removed imo

vindex
05-10-07, 03:54 AM
As someone who has been tempted into a few flame wars myself, despite my better judgment, I think it's not a bad idea.

Having said that, I do think it's hard to police the boundary between reporting an error and expressing some frustration over that error, which is how a lot of these threads get going.

I also think there is a positive role this forum can play in discussing the future of gaming and how the industry should be servicing its customers. The issue of bugs, patches, mods, and moddability are all hot topics not just on this site but ones devoted to other games. I have a sense that the old business model is starting to break down under the pressure of technology improvements and rising customer expectations, and I suspect that communities such as these will play a major role in what will eventually replace that model.

I mean, in one corner you have very talented devs who don't always know the subject matter deeply and don't have any marketing resources. In another corner you have publishers, which are essentially sales organizations that care neither about the subject matter nor, sadly, any long-term relationship with the customer. They want to turn a fast buck, which means making the cheapest possible game in the quickest possible time for the largest possible audience. I really wonder whether they're going to keep making PC games at all, when it's so much easier to do console games for the masses. Then in this corner you have a rag-tag group of highly motivated customers who bring a wide range of skills and knowledge, and in their spare time, free of charge, are able to cobble together significant game improvements, to the point where they are almost a new release of the game. Rome Total Realism was the first mod that really hit mainstream (it's the first one I ever saw reviewed in a magazine) and completely rejuvinated a game title. Grey Wolves did the same for SH3. I suspect something similar will come out for SH4. So what does all this say for the future? I think the answer is pretty interesting, and worth discussing.

:hmm:

danlisa
05-10-07, 04:23 AM
LMAO

Just give it time.;) Things will get back to normal.

I could probably say with 99% certainty, that there will not be a separate forum for compliants or flaming. If it was created, it goes against everything Subsim stands for.

You are correct that there are certainly more 'personality' clashes these days but that is to be expected with the amount of people joining & the amount of people feeling a little let down by SH4.

It just needs a few people to be the 'bigger man' and ignore the trouble makers.

McBeck
05-10-07, 05:34 AM
It was like this when SH3 was released too....

It will die down on its own...Subsim is strong enough to withstand this!

joea
05-10-07, 06:50 AM
It was like this when SH3 was released too....

It will die down on its own...Subsim is strong enough to withstand this!
Yes it was. :yep:

TDK1044
05-10-07, 07:42 AM
Each new Silent Hunter game has a journey to make. The Moderators know that it goes something like this:

1. The game is near release. Much excitement and anticipation. Everyone looking for screen shots.

2. The game goes 'Gold'. Christmas morning is nearly here. The excitement builds.

3. The game is released. Now we get a mixture of "where's mine? Why is it not here yet?" and "Installing now. I'll let you know".

4. Week one. People finding out what settings their system can play the game at. People finding genuine bugs. People thinking that their finding genuine bugs when they're not. People complaining about the state of the game at release. People wanting the first patch. People wanting instant mods. People threatening never to buy a Ubisoft product again. The Dark Side Of The Forum invade as many posts as possible complaining about the game, Ubisoft and the Moderators for doing their job.

5. Week two. Same as week one with the Modders now hard at work seeing what can and can't be done.

6. Week three. The same as week two but a little less intense.

After week three, it becomes a mixture of anticipated mods and patches and some general griping about ubisoft. Usually during week four or five we get the first threat of a lawsuit against ubisoft. Each new patch and mod represents a thermal layer and the attacks become less frequent.

After 3 or 4 patches and numerous mods, the game is what it is and people start to ask about the next version of Silent Hunter, demanding that it's in better shape than this one when it's released.

McBeck
05-10-07, 08:47 AM
Each new Silent Hunter game has a journey to make. The Moderators know that it goes something like this:

1. The game is near release. Much excitement and anticipation. Everyone looking for screen shots.

2. The game goes 'Gold'. Christmas morning is nearly here. The excitement builds.

3. The game is released. Now we get a mixture of "where's mine? Why is it not here yet?" and "Installing now. I'll let you know".

4. Week one. People finding out what settings their system can play the game at. People finding genuine bugs. People thinking that their finding genuine bugs when they're not. People complaining about the state of the game at release. People wanting the first patch. People wanting instant mods. People threatening never to buy a Ubisoft product again. The Dark Side Of The Forum invade as many posts as possible complaining about the game, Ubisoft and the Moderators for doing their job.

5. Week two. Same as week one with the Modders now hard at work seeing what can and can't be done.

6. Week three. The same as week two but a little less intense.

After week three, it becomes a mixture of anticipated mods and patches and some general griping about ubisoft. Usually during week four or five we get the first threat of a lawsuit against ubisoft. Each new patch and mod represents a thermal layer and the attacks become less frequent.

After 3 or 4 patches and numerous mods, the game is what it is and people start to ask about the next version of Silent Hunter, demanding that it's in better shape than this one when it's released. And we are past week 3 and before patch 3...so lots of griping, but mods are plentyfull :D I love this phase, because I dont gripe and theres news mods all the time!! Oh Happy day!! :up:

Soon the battle between the off. forums and Subsim will start :(

Chock
05-10-07, 08:48 AM
I've turned up the gain settings on my sonar, and it now detects flame threads from a range of about 4-5 threads (further in calm weather). :D

macky
05-10-07, 09:15 AM
I've turned up the gain settings on my sonar, and it now detects flame threads from a range of about 4-5 threads (further in calm weather). :D

:rotfl::rotfl:can i get the name of that mod:up: