PDA

View Full Version : Absolutely absurd

5blade
05-09-07, 11:24 PM
I’m new to this sim but not to ship’s of WW2. I have NEVER even heard of any Japanese ship capable of making a consistent 38 Knot speed after sustaining two torpedo hits along with more than 15 deck gun hits. It was a destroyer for crying out loud!!! I AM NOT IMPRESSED with the level of “realism”. What is going on with this “simulation”? Also, what class of US Sub has EVER had TWO deck guns? After SH3 this one leaves MUCH to be desired. But really guys, this is ridiculous. BTW, I'm using the unmolested version of the game.

Off my soap box now. The graphics are VERY good, especially the night sea passages (brings back good memories).

Rick Martin
05-09-07, 11:34 PM
For 5blade: I agree there's some tweaking to be done. I made some comments earlier about SH4 gameplay but there are some fixes. As far as US subs with 2 deckguns. I believe US sub skippers were allowed more latitude than in most other navies. Seems there is a book out titled US Submarines in Action and another by the same people (Squadron/Signal publications) titled GATO submarines in action and in one of those I think I read that one or two skippers may have had another deckgun installed. I do know that the fleet boats were built so that a deckgun could be mounted fore or aft. Might be wrong about the 2 guns but I know they weren't built with 2 guns

U-Bones
05-09-07, 11:43 PM
I’m new to this sim but not to ship’s of WW2. I have NEVER even heard of any Japanese ship capable of making a consistent 38 Knot speed after sustaining two torpedo hits along with more than 15 deck gun hits. It was a destroyer for crying out loud!!! I AM NOT IMPRESSED with the level of “realism”. What is going on with this “simulation”? Also, what class of US Sub has EVER had TWO deck guns? After SH3 this one leaves MUCH to be desired. But really guys, this is ridiculous. BTW, I'm using the unmolested version of the game.

Off my soap box now. The graphics are VERY good, especially the night sea passages (brings back good memories).

Mister, what were you thinking ? Do you have a death wish sailor ? That deck gun is to be used on helpless targets, not to duke it out with surface combatants.

tater
05-10-07, 12:05 AM
That's an odd report since most times people here have observed DDs to be way too easy to kill. A few HE rounds and any of them are ablaze from bow to stern in my experience. That said there have been some wierd issues with ships making way even with their decks totally awash, so there are lcearly some issues.

ccruner13
05-10-07, 12:33 AM
yes they start on fire easy but if you dont hit em below the water line they dont sink regardless of how many towers of flame they are spewing. ive also hit a DD or two with more than 1 torp to not have it go down but ive also easily dispatched several of them with just 1 or a handful of well placed shots from the deck gun. id have to say im satisfied

5blade
05-15-07, 12:55 AM
Got it guys. Here's the poop. Completely removed the game. Reinstalled. Installed both pathces in order. Only then did I try to run it. Now when I torp a tin can it sinks. No more jumping to 38 knot after two or more torpedo hits. However, I have noticed they are way too easy to take out. I also agree that a deck gun on a sub is a bad idea. They are subs, not gun boats.

I'm still taken with the graphics at sea, especially at night. WOW!!!! It looks so much like the real thing I just can't get over it. I spent the better part of my life (26 years) at sea and this sim is hands down outstanding when it comes to aquatic graphics.

All is well in Mudville again.

BTW, I added the Captain Midnight NBC Radio mod and now I'm in hog heaven. The broadcasts are top notch. Nothing like a late night run on the surface listening to Fibber McGee and Molly while keeping the old orbs peeled for targets. Gotta love it! ;-)

CaptainCox
05-15-07, 01:00 AM
You could also check out these as you are in to the "real" water thing... ;)
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=114402
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=114167
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=111720

Also updated the "Captain Midnight's CBS Mod with 103 more news broadcasts (161 in total).
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=108756

Of course banging the drum here :p

Von Hinten
05-15-07, 04:19 AM
And you should, these mods are well worth looking into. :up:

Capt. Shark Bait
05-15-07, 05:28 AM
And you should, these mods are well worth looking into. :up:

QFT:rock:

AVGWarhawk
05-15-07, 02:49 PM
BTW, I added the Captain Midnight NBC Radio mod and now I'm in hog heaven. The broadcasts are top notch. Nothing like a late night run on the surface listening to Fibber McGee and Molly while keeping the old orbs peeled for targets. Gotta love it! ;-)

Quite something to find these and put them in game for some immersion. Fibber McGee was good stuff back then and still is very good now:up:

MaxT.dk
05-15-07, 04:44 PM
Awwwwww, how nostalgic :P Are you guys from 1940s by any chance? :roll: Just joking ;)

tater
05-15-07, 05:10 PM
yes they start on fire easy but if you dont hit em below the water line they dont sink regardless of how many towers of flame they are spewing. ive also hit a DD or two with more than 1 torp to not have it go down but ive also easily dispatched several of them with just 1 or a handful of well placed shots from the deck gun. id have to say im satisfied

Not at all true for me, I've concentrated on hitting them with HE on the superstructure and had them blow up and break in half.

AVGWarhawk
05-15-07, 06:49 PM
Awwwwww, how nostalgic :P Are you guys from 1940s by any chance? :roll: Just joking ;)

Not at all infact quite far from the 1/2 century mark. I just like old things and old radio. You know, when a good laugh did not require a four letter work said 9 times in one sentence. It was a much simpler time.

AirborneTD
05-15-07, 07:13 PM
[quote=5blade] Also, what class of US Sub has EVER had TWO deck guns? /quote]

The Narwhal had 2x 6" guns. I believe the Nautilus and Argonaut had 2 also. The first Gato to have 2 was the Sennet. She was part of a wolfpack that included the Haddock and Legato (which both had 2 also). After these successes, US skippers were given the option to mount 2. Lacking proper fire control, 2 guns weren't all that popular.

Seaman_Hornsby
05-15-07, 09:21 PM
Also, what class of US Sub has EVER had TWO deck guns?
Like Airborne says, not only did the big pre-war subs (Argonaut, Nautilus, and Narwhal) have two 6" guns each, but late war Gato, Balao, and Tench-class boats often carried two of the 5"/25 guns on patrol. As targets got more scarce and smaller, there was more opportunity to perforate 'em on the surface. :arrgh!:

By the way, 5blade, glad SHIV is growing on you. I've spent plenty of time gawking at the nighttime scenery while pursuing contacts myself. This game does have a way of pulling you in. :rock:

5blade
05-16-07, 11:01 PM
My humblest apologies to the Captain. I said NBC instead of CBS. BTW I like the songs of the 40's so I'm keeping them. Also going to add my own.

As for the "subs with guns", I didn't know all that before. Hey, "subs with guns" sounds almost like some kind of rock band or such. ;-). Anyway, I'm VERY glad there is such a following in this arena.

Happy hunting guys.