PDA

View Full Version : SH IV Too many bugs

Rick Martin
05-07-07, 12:01 PM
OK, been doing subsims for a while now and really got some gripes about SH IV. Been waiting for a Pacific subsim for years and this is what I got:
1. Not always able to finish a war patrol--after returning home the "dock at Manila/dock at Brisbane, etc" doesn't always appear making my sub an underwater version of the flying Dutchman.
2. After getting my patrol orders and getting underway for my designated patrol area (i.e. "Patrol Luzon Strait" I rarely get a "objective complete" although I can find and engage enemy ships all day long.
3. Lookouts sometimes report "ship sighted bearing 315, etc." but I can't locate the ship with the binocs or the TBT. Note: after 20 years in the Navy I know the Captain knows all, sees all, and hears all, just like our mothers did.
4. Radio music really sucks---sounds like a funeral dirge.
5. In career mode all the missions seem like one way death/suicide missions. Early in the war the Japanese (juse like the allies) weren;t that good at asw. There was a steep learning curve and many Japanese DD skippers thought it beneath their dignity to trifle with asw. Seems they all wanted to make that big torpedo attack against enemy Battleships.
6. There's some problems with voice responses too. When I click on "return to course" I often hear "yessir returning to course---yessir returing to course---yessir plotting search pattern---yessir plotting search pattern. Also when securing from battle stations I can hear "relieve the watch" with a different voice right under the secure from battle stations announcement.
7. Last but not least that annoying map movement when the cursor is near the edge of the page is still there, left over from SH III.
8. Gotta say that SH II (Pacific Aces) was at least enjoyable enough to keep me playing it for a while.
Sorry for the long-winded comments but just had to vent--SH IV has the potential to be very good but the customer (thats us folks) shouldn't have to pay a large amount of money for that many bugs and I probably haven't found them all yet.
:damn: :damn: :damn:

AVGWarhawk
05-07-07, 12:02 PM
Rick, please look at the bug thread sticky.

joea
05-07-07, 12:16 PM

Well that was one of the first things modded and is really not a bug, it was meant ot be swapped out. As AVG said, everything else is noted check it out and don't lose faith!! :up:

FAdmiral
05-07-07, 12:57 PM
The nitty-gritty is that the modders made SH3 so good that we expect a
better SH4. Once the main bugs are quashed by patches (like in SH3)
then the modders will get into modding the big stuff (like new ships and
redone camapign layers) to get SH4 up to the level of SH3...

JIM

mookiemookie
05-07-07, 02:51 PM
Thanks for creating another thread on this topic. I guess you never can have too many of them! :roll::88)

rduffy34
05-07-07, 03:37 PM
Thanks for creating another thread on this topic. I guess you never can have too many of them! :roll::88)

I second that, sheesh :dead:

pocatellodave
05-08-07, 08:36 AM
Most everything you complained about,now has a fix.Do a little research,and you will find out that SH IV is coming around just fine.
Pocatellodave

kikn79
05-08-07, 10:13 AM
OK, been doing subsims for a while now and really got some gripes about SH IV. Been waiting for a Pacific subsim for years and this is what I got:
1. Not always able to finish a war patrol--after returning home the "dock at Manila/dock at Brisbane, etc" doesn't always appear making my sub an underwater version of the flying Dutchman.
2. After getting my patrol orders and getting underway for my designated patrol area (i.e. "Patrol Luzon Strait" I rarely get a "objective complete" although I can find and engage enemy ships all day long.
3. Lookouts sometimes report "ship sighted bearing 315, etc." but I can't locate the ship with the binocs or the TBT. Note: after 20 years in the Navy I know the Captain knows all, sees all, and hears all, just like our mothers did.
5. In career mode all the missions seem like one way death/suicide missions. Early in the war the Japanese (juse like the allies) weren;t that good at asw. There was a steep learning curve and many Japanese DD skippers thought it beneath their dignity to trifle with asw. Seems they all wanted to make that big torpedo attack against enemy Battleships.
6. There's some problems with voice responses too. When I click on "return to course" I often hear "yessir returning to course---yessir returing to course---yessir plotting search pattern---yessir plotting search pattern. Also when securing from battle stations I can hear "relieve the watch" with a different voice right under the secure from battle stations announcement.
7. Last but not least that annoying map movement when the cursor is near the edge of the page is still there, left over from SH III.
8. Gotta say that SH II (Pacific Aces) was at least enjoyable enough to keep me playing it for a while.
Sorry for the long-winded comments but just had to vent--SH IV has the potential to be very good but the customer (thats us folks) shouldn't have to pay a large amount of money for that many bugs and I probably haven't found them all yet.
:damn: :damn: :damn:

1 - I have not expierenced this yet. Have you tried docking manually?
2 - I have yet to not complete a mission. You have to stay within 100nm of the icon for 48 (Gametime) hours.
3 - If the ship is just out of visual range, it will occasionally float in and out of range. Best thing to do is head in the direction of the sighting. Again, I have not experienced this bug.
4 - There are some great mods for this. Check out the mod section @ subsim.com
5 - I've yet to not complete a mission and I'm on my 9th patrol. I recommend reading the sticky on how to complete the missions in SH4. It helped me a ton.
6 - I get the repeating messages, but since things are repeated multiple times in the Navy, I think it adds to the realism. I haven't experienced them going off on a tangent yet.
7 - There is a fix for this in the mod section. Check the mod sticky for the link.
8 - Yes, SH2 was enjoyable. I played the heck out of it. I never got into the U-boat war as I personally am only interested in the war in the Pacific. But, I've got to say that I really enjoy the game. Are there fixes needed? Yes. But with the modders and 1.2, most of the annoying ones are gone.

If you want more difficulty like in Sh1/2, I recommend the FTT mod by Ducimus. I have yet to try out the RealFleetBoat mod, but that is next on my list.

Other things fixed by the FTT mod are the forced career endings and radar along with many other things.

Check out the mod section and mold the game into exactly what you are looking for.

Chuck

Kant Schwimm
05-08-07, 10:23 AM
Correction.. Its 100KM, you'll prolly find 100NM strays you to far from your patrol zone:know: but follow the rest of his advice below and you should'nt go far wrong:up:

"1 - I have not expierenced this yet. Have you tried docking manually?
2 - I have yet to not complete a mission. You have to stay within 100nm of the icon for 48 (Gametime) hours.
3 - If the ship is just out of visual range, it will occasionally float in and out of range. Best thing to do is head in the direction of the sighting. Again, I have not experienced this bug.
4 - There are some great mods for this. Check out the mod section @ subsim.com
5 - I've yet to not complete a mission and I'm on my 9th patrol. I recommend reading the sticky on how to complete the missions in SH4. It helped me a ton.
6 - I get the repeating messages, but since things are repeated multiple times in the Navy, I think it adds to the realism. I haven't experienced them going off on a tangent yet."
7 - There is a fix for this in the mod section. Check the mod sticky for the link.
8 - Yes, SH2 was enjoyable. I played the heck out of it. I never got into the U-boat war as I personally am only interested in the war in the Pacific. But, I've got to say that I really enjoy the game. Are there fixes needed? Yes. But with the modders and 1.2, most of the annoying ones are gone.

If you want more difficulty like in Sh1/2, I recommend the FTT mod by Ducimus. I have yet to try out the RealFleetBoat mod, but that is next on my list.

Other things fixed by the FTT mod are the forced career endings and radar along with many other things.

Check out the mod section and mold the game into exactly what you are looking for.

Chuck[/quote]

kikn79
05-08-07, 11:04 AM
My bad. Thanks for the correction!! : )

Chuck