PDA

View Full Version : conning tower upgrades

pythos
05-07-07, 09:33 AM
I am patrolling in a sugar boat in sept 1942, still with the pre war tower, no AA post. I simply have not gotten the option for one.

Now, I looked in the upc files for the Sboat, and found that the tower upgrade becomes available April 1942. Am I to assume that there is the signs of another bug. One reason I play these games is to see the different appearances of the boats through their lives, even if the improvement proved bad (aka the U flack mod for the type VII) Or down right fatal (Metox) With SH4 I have had the same tower since the start of my carrier back in 41.

Is there a fix for this?

shad43
05-07-07, 09:46 AM
Go to Data\Submarine\NSS_s18 open the subs .upc file right near the top
you will see this:

[UserPlayerUnit 1.UnitPartSlot 1]
ID=S18ConningSlot
NameDisplayable=Conning Tower Mount
Type=NULL
AcceptedTypes=SConningTower
IDLinkUnitPartIntervalDefault1= NULL, 1942-09-15, SClassConning1 << Change to 2
IDLinkUnitPartIntervalDefault2= 1942-09-16, NULL, SClassConning2
ExternalNodeName3D= Z01

for the 42

ID=S18ConningSlot
Type=NULL
AcceptedTypes=SConningTower
IDLinkUnitPartIntervalDefault1= NULL, 1942-09-15, SClassConning1 << change to 3
IDLinkUnitPartIntervalDefault2= 1942-09-16, NULL, SClassConning3
ExternalNodeName3D= Z01

this will give you the cut down AA conning towers all the time
you will probly need to be at port before this will work in your current game.

Nightmare
05-07-07, 10:31 AM
Is this a bug introduced in 1.2? I got tower upgrades in 1.1 just fine. On my new careers with 1.2 I have yet to have a tower upgraded.

shad43
05-07-07, 08:00 PM
Is this a bug introduced in 1.2? I got tower upgrades in 1.1 just fine. On my new careers with 1.2 I have yet to have a tower upgraded.

I think, yes...I've noticed the same thing as you, cant find anything obviousley wrong in the files...so must be a code bug.

GSpector
05-08-07, 12:22 AM
I'm using the Gato with an Aft AA Gun. Is there a fix to make the gun usable. Every time I try to use it, the view is blocked. Is there a way of placing my view behind the gun closer or just removing the siding?

UnSalted
05-08-07, 12:43 AM
The screen is removed in a later "upgrade" to reduce the silhouette of the Gato sub. It happens in Pearl during a stopover.

I HATED that screen around the AA gun...couldn't do much of anything except get frustrated.

GSpector
05-08-07, 03:58 AM
Is this a MOD I should download or is this just something that just happens overtime?

UnSalted
05-08-07, 06:49 AM
It's built in to SH4. I haven't used any mods so far.

Nightmare
05-08-07, 10:35 AM
Well it should happen on preset dates in the game. However after further testing last night and looking in the game files, the conning towers are not being upgraded (cut down) after the dates specified within the file. This appears to be a bug introduced in the 1.2 patch.

I'm running a Gato in 1943 with a 1942 conning tower. It looks like the date of the upgrade to the 1943 tower and skin (boat is no longer painted black and gain a forward AA gun) is between late March and early April. This should pretty much mean that the conning tower should be upgraded when you return from your first patrol. However, I finished another patrol last night, which puts the date at June 28th 1943.

shad43
05-08-07, 11:24 AM
There seems to possibly be a bug concerning tower upgrades, I think I remember Ducimus touching on this subject at some point...at any rate its quite easy to
manually get the tower you want for any sub...

in your data\submarine\NSS_insert sub name here, folder
open the subs .upc file and look for this right near the top

ID=TamborConningSlot
Type=NULL
AcceptedTypes=TamborConningTower
IDLinkUnitPartIntervalDefault1= NULL, 1942-09-01, TamborConningMedWar
IDLinkUnitPartIntervalDefault2= 1942-09-02, 1942-12-31, TamborConningMedWar
IDLinkUnitPartIntervalDefault3= 1943-01-01, NULL, TamborConningLateWar ExternalNodeName3D= Z01

note the highlighted text, it could be latewar as well.

the FTT mod also does this for all boats, as you can see doing it yourself for just
the boat you are going to use is easy.

Nightmare
05-08-07, 11:36 AM
Is there a way to make that change in a saved game file? I really don't want to make a general edit to those .upc files because I run multiple careers, sometimes with the same boat class but in different years. I have my main career (mentioned above) in 1943, however I'm running a 1942 career in which I just took command of a new Gato. I really don't want to be running a 1943 conning tower in 1942 because I had to make a general edit to get the correct tower in my 1943 career.

shad43
05-08-07, 11:44 AM
Is there a way to make that change in a saved game file? I really don't want to make a general edit to those .upc files because I run multiple careers, sometimes with the same boat class but in different years. I have my main career (mentioned above) in 1943, however I'm running a 1942 career in which I just took command of a new Gato. I really don't want to be running a 1943 conning tower in 1942.

I don't have any saves to refer to atm, but Im gonna say yes it is possible.

UnSalted
05-08-07, 12:06 PM
Weird, I'm running 1.2 without any mods and got my Gato with the old skirted AA pit and then got an upgrade the next time I went home from a patrol.

Nightmare
05-08-07, 12:33 PM
Weird, I'm running 1.2 without any mods and got my Gato with the old skirted AA pit and then got an upgrade the next time I went home from a patrol.
So that would be the Gato 1941 tower to 1942 if I remember correctly. Perhaps it's an issue with going from 1942 tower to 1943 with the Gatos?

UnSalted
05-08-07, 01:11 PM
Could be. My tower lost the skirting for improved silhouette reasons in 42. I may have to start studying this stuff before I'm thru enjoying this game. :rotfl: