PDA

View Full Version : Sh4....slowly getting there!!

ReallyDedPoet
05-07-07, 08:03 AM
Been playing SH4 since it came out.

Like many here, there have been ups and downs, some due to the bugs in the game, some due to my own ignorance and lack of patience:yep:

I have GWX installed, along with some other games, but I have to say that I keep coming back to SH4. I have installed and uninstalled various mods, tweaked a few myself and the game has gotten to be pretty enjoyable. This is dam good considering the game is just over 2 months old, and yes unfinished when it came out.

Current Mods:

- Ducimus's FTT 2.4 ( did a few of my own tweaks with it: wanted external cam plus deleted the zones.cfg file, I am ok with the stock version ). This is a great mod, read me explains it well.
- Ultimate Sound Mod, by Gunther Hessler.
- Captain Cox's Silent Service Mod 1.0, I have not updated to the current one, like this one for now .
- TORPEDO +25% more powerful by CaptainKobuk.
- Captain Midnight's CBS New Mod by Captain Cox. Great radio mod.
- Battle Stations & Silent Running on all Hud Stations by Iceburg
- Various Sub-skin Mods:up:
- Various period songs\speeches on the grammaphone , about 25-30 selections.

Like the new eye-candy in the game, the various missions ( no longer are you just going to a grid patrolling for 24 hours ) you have tasks to do now, of course you still get to sink some tonnage. Also loved the Atlantic Theatre, but it is nice to have a change.

Anyway, hopefully we will see the third patch soon, and the great modders here will continue to do their thing:yep: Plus with time there will be a SH4 Super-mod, so there is great potential for this game going forward:up:

RDP

Mush Martin
05-07-07, 08:59 AM
I Totally agree its worthy and I am glad to be back in the Pacific
I love the american boats above all others of those years.

as far as it goes I use some different mods than you.
but what im doing now is making two compilation
mods.

the first compilation is repairs to the game like the
american torpedo bomber flight profile or being able
to open all tubes.

the second would be a version of all the stuff I like like
new periscopes Gui changes and such as well as extending
the career to begin earlier in december, and also including
a reduced pearl harbour attack, etc.

above these two "Base mods" repair and enhancement then I
intend to do my boat mod beyond those things.

Brigs
05-07-07, 09:01 AM
Yep, absolutely agree.

This is gonna be a great one....."There's power behind it".

TDK1044
05-07-07, 09:08 AM
Nice post.:D

If we get a patch 1.3, and with continued modding from the community, I can only see SH4 getting better and better.

ReallyDedPoet
05-07-07, 10:01 AM
Nice post.:D

If we get a patch 1.3, and with continued modding from the community, I can only see SH4 getting better and better.
Thanks. Although I mentioned the mods that I currently use, folks should check out the others as well:up:

RDP

FAdmiral
05-07-07, 01:05 PM
After 2 months into SH4, the modding is further along than SH3 was at
2 months and you know how it turned out after time.....

JIM

CaptainCox
05-07-07, 01:16 PM
Can only say that i never ever played a SP or MP game this intense, and I used to be a hardcore Battlefield (all versions) gamer. Love to play it love to mod it ;)
Mods I am using at the mo
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/CaptainCox/MODS.jpg
I am working to port my favorites to be used with Real Fleet Boat...for personal use of course.

-Pv-
05-07-07, 03:08 PM
The torpedo power mod is not neccessary. All you have to do is play long enough to get a powerup boost to the crew and the torpedos become more destructive.
-Pv-

cdrsubron7
05-07-07, 03:16 PM
Have to agree with all the comments here, I can see SHIV only getting better and better. I've enjoyed SHIII immensely, but the Pacific is my place to play. :yep:

cdrsubron7 :up:

CaptainCox
05-07-07, 03:23 PM
The torpedo power mod is not neccessary. All you have to do is play long enough to get a powerup boost to the crew and the torpedos become more destructive.
-Pv-LOL...I know, just took a screeny of what I had at the mo. I keep changing that on a daily basis ;)

Ducimus
05-07-07, 04:00 PM
Ive conceptualized new a new fix for campaign games. From tests that ive done, it looks like i can make it so that i can script out the patrol assigments of the entire war from start to finish. With each patrol area , and type of objective different then the last patrol. Im really excited about it, i just need to get to work on the files. Wish the wife would go back to work full time, id get more time to get stuff done :88)

donut
05-07-07, 05:29 PM
Hoping peaceful home-front liberty for you,& yours. We will be looking fwd.to[REL]:up:

Ducimus
05-07-07, 05:59 PM
Ive already laid out the framework for scripting the primary objectives your given for the entire war already. What i havent done yet is mess with the acutal patrol objectives.

Now an objective is given a generic name. Say, "Honshu" for example. Theres several objectives associated with the ID handle of "Honshu". Photo, spy insertion, patrol, sink tonnage, etc. Making "honsu" a group of missions, randomly chosen by the game. The problem is the game more often the not, defaults on "patrol". Theres two ways you can increase the frequency of getting other missions besdies patrol. One is to alter the probabilty of getting other missions and decrease the probabilty of getting a "patrol" objective.

OR

Change the ID handle name. For instance, i could change the IDhandle from "Honshu" to "HonshuPHOTO" for all photo missions (thereby creating a group of photo missions randomly chosen by the game), and then, using the new ID handle, assign that mission type to any date of my choosing in the flotilla.upc

You can do the same for insertions, supply, guard, etc. Id be surpised if no one else is already working on this.

U56_Dragon
05-07-07, 06:09 PM
I have too been at it since release. I do really enjoy the sim. The mods from all the fine people here made it even more enjoyable. I have had minimal bugs after tweaking and want to thank everyone here for their support.
Have a great day:D

ReallyDedPoet
05-07-07, 07:01 PM
Ive conceptualized new a new fix for campaign games. From tests that ive done, it looks like i can make it so that i can script out the patrol assigments of the entire war from start to finish. With each patrol area , and type of objective different then the last patrol. Im really excited about it, i just need to get to work on the files. Wish the wife would go back to work full time, id get more time to get stuff done :88)

You gotta do this Ducimus:roll:, can we all band together here and form a subsim support group for our wives:yep:

RDP

Old Dog
05-07-07, 10:14 PM
Ive already laid out the framework for scripting the primary objectives your given for the entire war already. What i havent done yet is mess with the acutal patrol objectives.

Now an objective is given a generic name. Say, "Honshu" for example. Theres several objectives associated with the ID handle of "Honshu". Photo, spy insertion, patrol, sink tonnage, etc. Making "honsu" a group of missions, randomly chosen by the game. The problem is the game more often the not, defaults on "patrol". Theres two ways you can increase the frequency of getting other missions besdies patrol. One is to alter the probabilty of getting other missions and decrease the probabilty of getting a "patrol" objective.

OR

Change the ID handle name. For instance, i could change the IDhandle from "Honshu" to "HonshuPHOTO" for all photo missions (thereby creating a group of photo missions randomly chosen by the game), and then, using the new ID handle, assign that mission type to any date of my choosing in the flotilla.upc

You can do the same for insertions, supply, guard, etc. Id be surpised if no one else is already working on this.
I applaud your efforts Sir, as well as the efforts of the other modders here.

Might I 'put in my two cents worth' ?

How many "Insert a spy" or "Photo a harbor" missions were launched '42 - '45 relative to the number of "Patrol" missions ? (Or later in the war, "Pick up non-flying fly-boys").

Personally, getting unusual missions makes the game feel un-real. I can see a resupply mission to the troops on Bataan, but to follow that with a 'photo shoot' makes the game seem like a comic book.

I suggest that you go with your first alternative, modifying the random number call as you see fit. I think that might be the simplest course, allowing you to keep both Subsimmers and Mrs Ducimus happy, as you work on the "Honey - do" list.
Newly retired myself.

Old Dog

P.S. The Navy targeted Japanese oil tankers in particular. Can that be modeled ?

Ducimus
05-08-07, 12:09 AM

Personally, getting unusual missions makes the game feel un-real. I can see a resupply mission to the troops on Bataan, but to follow that with a 'photo shoot' makes the game seem like a comic book.

True. But, when i think about it, thats the intent. For a realistic version, well, its already done. All i have to do is seperate it into its own mod. Because realistcally, a sub probably only got a mission other then to sink ships, maybe a few times in its service. Find em, chase em, sink em, was the primary mission, and one that historically, youd see, 90% of the time - which is already the case.

My desire to make something thats a deviation from that stems from being jaded. I've played "Go to this location, hang out for awhile, and sink anything you come accross" for a long time now. In SH3 its all you did, so things in Sh4 are quickly becoming the same routine that ive done for the last few years, and its making me lose intrest, because I may as well be back in a uboat.

At any rate, ill be releasing two versions of this mod, and i really think they take SH4
closer to being "there", which is ultimatly the goal.

DS
05-08-07, 02:33 AM
I agree with what others have said. SH4, while not yet 100%, is doing just great in it's first 2 months of life.

I'm running 1.2 with some great mods and now 100% CTD free. Having a great time, and looking forward to new patches and mods to make a great thing even better.

Honest constructive feedback (good and bad), patience, and dedication to the sim and the genre is key to encouraging a larger community with more buying power and better dev support. Negative nellies can be blown out the aft tubes as far as I'm concerned.

And yes, I do love the Pacific theatre. After SH2 and 3, it was high time for drinks at the Royal Hawaiian.

ReallyDedPoet
05-08-07, 08:23 AM
Honest constructive feedback (good and bad), patience, and dedication to the sim and the genre is key to encouraging a larger community with more buying power and better dev support. Negative nellies can be blown out the aft tubes as far as I'm concerned.

And yes, I do love the Pacific theatre. After SH2 and 3, it was high time for drinks at the Royal Hawaiian.

:yep::yep: