PDA

View Full Version : Why don't refits take time?

vindex
05-07-07, 04:14 AM
Why are refits instantaneous in game time? Shouldn't refueling and rearming take a couple of hours, or even a day? Am I the only one who finds this hokey?

I'm such a nerd I actually dock at Midway, and at Pearl on my return ... I just feel like I'm cheating if I hit the magic refit option 30 miles (or whatever) from port.

Grothesj2
05-07-07, 04:39 AM
There may a file you can modify to change the turn around time. Maybe the modders can help.

Chock
05-07-07, 05:51 AM
I guess in the grand scheme of things - i.e. most people whizzing across the Pacific on accelerated time and compressing it to a few minutes - the few hours that a refit would take (or more correctly re-arm and refuel) doesn't really matter that much.

Unless you could simulate half a day's liberty for your crew and give em some fun and a morale boost :D

Come to think of it, you could do that, just pause the sim at the port, go out, get hammered on Jack Daniels, oh, and make sure a cab driver overcharges you for the trip to the bar, then go and pick up a dose of the clap. You could also simulate trying to sneak some booze onto your sub by buying something ridiculously expensive (say the latest graphics card, or a nitrous kit for your car etc) and trying to sneak it in the house past your wife/girlfriend. If she catches you, it will further add to the realism, as you will probably be forced to paint or repair something around the house as a punishment.

ReallyDedPoet
05-07-07, 06:45 AM
I guess in the grand scheme of things - i.e. most people whizzing across the Pacific on accelerated time and compressing it to a few minutes - the few hours that a refit would take (or more correctly re-arm and refuel) doesn't really matter that much.

Unless you could simulate half a day's liberty for your crew and give em some fun and a morale boost :D

Come to think of it, you could do that, just pause the sim at the port, go out, get hammered on Jack Daniels, oh, and make sure a cab driver overcharges you for the trip to the bar, then go and pick up a dose of the clap. You could also simulate trying to sneak some booze onto your sub by buying something ridiculously expensive (say the latest graphics card, or a nitrous kit for your car etc) and trying to sneak it in the house past your wife/girlfriend. If she catches you, it will further add to the realism, as you will probably be forced to paint or repair something around the house as a punishment.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Egan
05-07-07, 07:06 AM
I asked this and the dev answer was they wanted to legnthen the time it took but it wasn't possible at the time - I don't know what the problem was, though. IIRC, all the settings for that, time in port etc are hardcoded this time. Maybe they will externalise them in a patch like they did with radio messages in Sh3.

Vindex: I always 'dock' during a refit too, :D , and let the TC do it's thing. 6 - 18 hours for a quick layover up to several days if I think the situation warrants it.

7Enigma
05-07-07, 07:23 AM
I always require at least a couple hours since most refits are a full restocking of torps. Since the refit button only refills your spare slots, I refit, sit in the harbor as my crew loads the tubes, and then refit again so I'm fully stocked. I've never kept a close eye on it, but I'm sure its a couple hours works on heavy TC?

Sailor Steve
05-07-07, 10:24 AM
I think the whole idea is silly anyway. I could be wrong, but I'm unaware of any subs restocking torpedoes and going back out for an extended patrol. Pulling into a strange port should allow you to take on enough fuel to get home, and that's it.

SteamWake
05-07-07, 12:12 PM
I think the whole idea is silly anyway. I could be wrong, but I'm unaware of any subs restocking torpedoes and going back out for an extended patrol. Pulling into a strange port should allow you to take on enough fuel to get home, and that's it.

Got agree with Steve here.

I also found the instantanious turn around a bit odd.

But thats about all I thought about it.

Imagine if you dident get a fresh stock of torps what the bitching and whining would be like. Hell they already complain that they dont go ahead and load up the tubes for you as well.