PDA

View Full Version : Selecting targets for the Deck Gun...

Chief of the Boat
05-06-07, 10:47 PM
Did I miss something? I can't seem to ORDER those guys on that deck gun to fire at the target *I* want taken under fire...Unless I go down there and do it myself. I want those guys doing the job, and getting better at it as we go...

COB

sean705
05-06-07, 10:53 PM
Did I miss something? I can't seem to ORDER those guys on that deck gun to fire at the target *I* want taken under fire...Unless I go down there and do it myself. I want those guys doing the job, and getting better at it as we go...

COB

COB,

Unfortunatly no. There are only a few commands that the gun crew will acknowledge, but none deal with targeting the boat you wishg to engage. :-?

Coolhand01
05-06-07, 10:53 PM
USe the binoculars..B key...Find target and press the spacebar...All there is to it...It's the simple things that seem so hard sometimes...Good Hunting...CH

sean705
05-06-07, 10:54 PM
USe the binoculars..B key...Find target and press the spacebar...All there is to it...It's the simple things that seem so hard sometimes...Good Hunting...CH

Learn something new every day! :rock:

Cpt Calavera
05-06-07, 10:56 PM
Go to the bridge and use the binoculars to zoom in to the target. If you look at the bridge menu, the option to tell the gun crew to fire at your target should be available (it's usually greyed out). Put the binocular crosshairs directly over the target and hit the button to tell them to target it.

- EDIT -

Or, you can do it the easy way.

Mudrik
05-07-07, 07:13 AM
It's always worth keeping an eye on what the deck gun crew are doing. Ammo is in very short supply and they can end up wasting quite a lot by still shooting at targets which are dead and choosing for themselves which target to engage next while under "fire at will" conditions. There is nothing worse than finding that the gun crew are engaging a small cargo ship when there is a more valuable target nearby.

Chief of the Boat
05-07-07, 11:38 AM
Yeah... that works great! Oh, yes... there is always some rock to look under with these things, Mate !

COB

Soundman
05-07-07, 11:46 AM
Nice to know that...Another item not explained in the manual.

Bane
05-07-07, 11:50 AM
Spacebar huh? D'oh! In rough seas it's a fight to hold the binocs on the target long enough to click on the button. Kinda fun though!

I think the binoc's crosshair has to turn red before the button lights up. I could be wrong though as I've been GWX-ing lately.

jerryt
05-07-07, 02:33 PM
I think the binoc's crosshair has to turn red before the button lights up. I could be wrong though as I've been GWX-ing lately.

Yep needs to go red.

SteamWake
05-07-07, 02:39 PM
Some thing I have noticed in doing this (using the binocluars).

The gun crew seems to have target fixation. If there firing on one ship they are stubborn and more or less refuse to switch targets.

Also I always get the messate "Seas to high to man deck gun" regardless of the sea state. Shortly after the message they start firing away :doh:

ps; Cheif of the Boat I know of one guy around here that may take issue with your user name ;)

-Pv-
05-07-07, 03:14 PM
Another way to direct targeting is the crew automatically selects the ship that's closest. Try getting closer to the prefered target when the waves make using the binocs too difficult. While you are dong this, keep the fire at will button off to save ammo.
-Pv-

CaptainHaplo
05-07-07, 08:37 PM
And since ammo is not too plentiful (and underpowered in my opinion) - be sure to flip off the (fire at will) toggle as soon as YOU think that sufficient damage has been done.

Be warned - I don't think these guys abilities "buff" like they did in sh3 - so a killer deck gun crew may not be all that possible.