PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Mission

catalan
05-06-07, 01:01 PM
Hello everyone,

In order to finish a mission, do I have to sail my submarine back to my home port or can I just exit the game without the mission failing in the middle of the ocean?

Thanks.

sean705
05-06-07, 01:15 PM
You have to return to your home port. Once you get close enough, you will be prompted to either Refit, or end your patrol.

Mudrik
05-06-07, 01:28 PM
This really caught me out at first. I'd expended all my ammo and headed for the nearest friendly port (let's face it, they're all thousands of NM apart) to end my mission, only to find that all I could do was resupply and then head for my home base (yet another few thousand MN).

Surely it would have been, and should be, possible to end a patrol at any friendly port?

sean705
05-06-07, 01:32 PM
This really caught me out at first. I'd expended all my ammo and headed for the nearest friendly port (let's face it, they're all thousands of NM apart) to end my mission, only to find that all I could do was resupply and then head for my home base (yet another few thousand MN).

Surely it would have been, and should be, possible to end a patrol at any friendly port?

Negitive, no patrol was ever considered over until everyone got to go home (what ever that home may have been) :D

Mudrik
05-06-07, 02:08 PM

Negitive, no patrol was ever considered over until everyone got to go home (what ever that home may have been) :D

So, does that mean that there are thousands of service man and women who have never finished a patrol because their comrades never made it home from the fields of Flanders, the jungles of Vietnam or the deserts of the Middle east? I think not.

sean705
05-06-07, 02:20 PM

So, does that mean that there are thousands of service man and women who have never finished a patrol because their comrades never made it home from the fields of Flanders, the jungles of Vietnam or the deserts of the Middle east? I think not.

It's one thing to finish a patrol, and quite another to be KIA or MIA (Which it seems your speaking of, correct me if I'm wrong). No service man or woman was, or is finished with their patrol or mission/deployment until they return home. Pulling into a friendly port or returning to a friendly city, town or base dose not constitute finishing your deployment/patrol. You may finish a mission, but not the deployemnt (which was what a submarine patrol was). Speaking from experience here (I served onboard submarines for 8 years, during conflict and peace), we may have finished a mission, and pulled into a friendly port for a short R&R period and a quick refit, but our deployment wasn't finished until we got back home.

sean705
05-06-07, 02:40 PM
cataln,

I think I misread your post now, in order to finish a mission see this guide http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=111509

I thoght you were talking about finishing a patrol, my apologies :oops:

Mudrik
05-06-07, 03:17 PM

It's one thing to finish a patrol, and quite another to be KIA or MIA (Which it seems your speaking of, correct me if I'm wrong). No service man or woman was, or is finished with their patrol or mission/deployment until they return home. Pulling into a friendly port or returning to a friendly city, town or base dose not constitute finishing your deployment/patrol. You may finish a mission, but not the deployemnt (which was what a submarine patrol was). Speaking from experience here (I served onboard submarines for 8 years, during conflict and peace), we may have finished a mission, and pulled into a friendly port for a short R&R period and a quick refit, but our deployment wasn't finished until we got back home.

I was just trying to point out that if to end a patrol everyone had to make it home, then patrols where there were MIA or KIAs would, in theory, never end.

Massive respect for 8yrs on subs though, maybe there are a lot of us on this forum who are grossly unqualified to pass too many comments about submarine conditions.

sean705
05-06-07, 03:28 PM

I was just trying to point out that if to end a patrol everyone had to make it home, then patrols where there were MIA or KIAs would, in theory, never end.

Massive respect for 8yrs on subs though, maybe there are a lot of us on this forum who are grossly unqualified to pass too many comments about submarine conditions.

My apologies, it appears we crossed wires there :D Yea, I wasn't talking about all the crew making it home, just the boat as a whole, else you would be considered on "Eternal Patrol".

Thanks for those words, but I would consider myself unqualified to really comment on WWII submarine conditions. I have about as much expertiese on that as everyone else here. Being on a moderen submarine, and being on one of those subs are completely different worlds, I have the utmost respect for those guys (probably why I love this series of games so much :)).

Mudrik
05-07-07, 04:38 AM
Thanks for those words, but I would consider myself unqualified to really comment on WWII submarine conditions. I have about as much expertiese on that as everyone else here. Being on a moderen submarine, and being on one of those subs are completely different worlds, I have the utmost respect for those guys (probably why I love this series of games so much :)).

Just out of interest, is the photo of your sub?

sean705
05-07-07, 09:46 AM
Yes, that was my sub. I think we were pulling into Apra harbor in Guam when that picture was taken.

Lagger123987
05-07-07, 04:50 PM

What's KIA and MIA?

UnSalted
05-08-07, 12:54 AM
KIA = Killed In Action
MIA = Missing In Action