PDA

View Full Version : Suddenly, After All This Time CTD's Grrrr

banjo
05-04-07, 04:18 PM
The game has been playing faultlessly on my old system. I am on my 3rd boat, 8th patrol, I get into a convoy--bang...black screen and then desktop. Before I was thru with that convoy I was kicked out at least 8 times. I have no idea why. I had changed my 3d sound slider but obviously put that back where it was. No change--still kept getting kicked out. I hope it was a one time thing with this convoy (I have attacked others with no prob) but it is worrisome.

SteamWake
05-04-07, 07:51 PM
Okay back up think carefully where were you when you "lost it".

in other words you must have changed something other than the sound slider.

Woops forgot to add you may have a corrupted save game. You do have a previous save to fall back on right ?

-Pv-
05-05-07, 01:12 AM
I have found a game restart helpful after playing with game settings before starting the 3D engine.
-Pv-

banjo
05-05-07, 10:18 AM
I finally abandoned that convoy (2 merchies 1 DD) and proceeded on and sunk more ships normally. I had saved and re-entered that convoy repeatedly--tried new saves, tried backing up a save or two. CTD's on all. There apparently was something about that convoy or the location of it or something that overwhelmed my system. I know that every time I attack a convoy from now on I will be holding my breath,

SteamWake
05-05-07, 09:52 PM
They had the new secret computer virus spyware pop up munitions....

Dont know what the "problem" was but glad you worked out of it.

My money is still on a corrupted save.

sqk7744
05-06-07, 06:06 PM
Couple leads

1 Remove any new mods via GME or restore old files ( if done manually)

Some mods with mess with the current campaign save and are better installed in port when starting a news patrol.

Loading a save game after adding some mods will result in a ctd.

good luck, let us know more

* Any new ships in that convoy via a mod pack?

Calbeck
05-06-07, 07:23 PM
Note that after changing hardware acceleration settings, you MUST restart for the changes to take effect.

I've found that if I once CTD after several hours of play, I will start to CTD more and more often, until I completely reboot the system --- and then it's stable again for several hours.

As the ancient Gamer's Creed goes: "Save Often, Save Well".

JSF
05-07-07, 12:06 AM
The game has been playing faultlessly on my old system. I am on my 3rd boat, 8th patrol, I get into a convoy--bang...black screen and then desktop. Before I was thru with that convoy I was kicked out at least 8 times. I have no idea why. I had changed my 3d sound slider but obviously put that back where it was. No change--still kept getting kicked out. I hope it was a one time thing with this convoy (I have attacked others with no prob) but it is worrisome.

Hey..same thing here.....the game has been playing great all this time....now for the past 2 weeks...I can't even come close to finishing a patrol before CTD!...Has me frustrated and pissed off.

And...I haven't changed any settings...period...wasn't any need to....until NOW....btw...i don't run mods either so that can't be it.