PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Consumption

Insight
05-03-07, 12:10 PM
Hi,

I recently bought SH4. I had Silent Service many years ago on the SNES and SH1 or 2 a long time ago too.

Things look and sound much better these days :) I am playing the game on 92 or 100% from the outset (external views sometimes) as I like sims to be difficult. So, I need practice at blowing stuff up :) Practice = Patrols, so I went on my first patrol of the campaign and set course to my patrol area.

I set it to standard running and hit the time compression - I was less than half way there when told I had less than half my diesel left... :damn: Should I be running on 2/3 speed when cruising or am I just doing something silly?

Any advice appreciated,

Insight

Snuffy
05-03-07, 12:13 PM
Rumor has it that the stock version of fuel consumption isn't quite right.
Somewhere in the mods forums there is supposed to be a fix but danged if I know where it is.

AhhhFresh
05-03-07, 12:27 PM
The best way to conserve fuel is to play in the Asiatic fleet! ;)

2/3rds is indeed "fuel conservation" cruising mode and will get you anywhere in theater from Midway with enough to patrol and easily get back... the stated range of most WWII fleet boats is about 11k nm at 10 knots (or 2/3rds) which I think is pretty accurately depicted in SHIV. Is it the fuel consumption at other speeds that's out of whack?

zylark
05-03-07, 12:32 PM
2/3 is actually 11-12 knots, and uses a quite bit more fuel than the recommended 10 knots. Just set speed manually to 10 knots (which depending upon weather often translate into 9 knots effective speed), You can reach just about any patrol area with 75% fuel left. Should leave you room to manouver :)

FAdmiral
05-03-07, 12:32 PM
A new player using SH4 for the first time should play one or two of the
single patrols first to get the hang of the game before trying the campaign.
This way things can get ironed out or corrected before the long campaign
journey is attempted. I would run at 10 kts. if going long distances to
conserve the fuel. If patches come out or if any mods are desired, running
the single patrol won't leave you in the lurch like the campaign might....

JIM

AVGWarhawk
05-03-07, 12:34 PM
2/3 is actually 11-12 knots, and uses a quite bit more fuel than the recommended 10 knots. Just set speed manually to 10 knots (which depending upon weather often translate into 9 knots effective speed), You can reach just about any patrol area with 75% fuel left. Should leave you room to manouver :)

:yep:

Palidian
05-03-07, 12:40 PM
What the subs did historically is to run at about 10 knots on the surface during the night and 2 knots under water during the day. This will allow you to go to Japan and back with about 1/3 fuel left. It is kinda tedious though.

In addition you can stop by Midway and top off, in addition to the sub bases that open up later on.

SteamWake
05-03-07, 12:46 PM
I have not seen mods to adjust fuel consumption.

Ive seen the one for battery life.

But yes the fuel consumption model is a tad off and running at 10 knots is a good way to go.

I often run at 1/3 when I have a long run.

If someone does know of a mod please please !! let us know !

Ducimus
05-03-07, 12:48 PM
Except the S class, all boats by stock are rated at 15,000 NM @ 10 kts, which technically isnt correct.

Redwine
05-03-07, 01:13 PM

:yep:
Correct... the minimun fuel speed is that we input into the sub XX .sim file.

If we had adjusted in example 15.000 miles at 10 knots, then 10knots must be the fuel economy speed. Any knot above or under will increase the comsumption.

In the practice, it is just not exactly 10knots, it about 9.4knots.

just open your sub XX .cfg file and adjust :

AheadSlow=0.20
AheadOneThird=0.45

You will have 2knots for silent running, and 9.5knots for 1/3....

To save fuel just set 1/3 and thats all... :up:

AhhhFresh
05-03-07, 01:13 PM
I did notice that it was faster than 10 knots, but didn't realize that was having a large effect on fuel consumption... how do you set it manually? Do you mean in the files?

EDIT: Heh. Just answered... nevermind!