PDA

View Full Version : Spread angles and Torpedo Depth

Godboo
05-02-07, 02:42 PM
Does the TDC account for distance when setting the spread angle? Obviously the farther away your target is, the more the spread angle effects where your torpedo is going. I'm assuming the TDC does not take distance into account, if so, how do you know what the optimum spread angle is for ships that are, lets say, 900+ meters away?

Also, I've noticed during the tutorials I've watched that you should set the depth of the torpedo to about halfway between the water line and the keel of the ship (so if the drag is 24 ft, you set the torpedo depth at 12ft, etc). Is this pretty standard procedure on all ships? Or are there different torpedo depths you should set for different ships?

SteamWake
05-02-07, 02:52 PM
Halfway is a good rule of thumb

If a ships draft is 28 set for 14

If a ships draft is 12.... uth oh its a destroyer ! run !!!! :p

Quillan
05-02-07, 03:39 PM
That's actually one piece of information that IS in the manual. It doesn't matter as much when shooting at merchants; I typically use half the draft there too unless I'm trying for a magnetic detonation, which needs to be a few feet beneath the keel. However, against warships, they have an armored belt to protect against explosions, including torpedoes, and the manual lists some rough guidelines on where to set them. They recommend 20 feet against battleships, I think 12 feet against cruisers, and I forget the rest. 20 feet+ has worked well on the 3 battleships I've sunk, though. 3 hits sunk a Fuso, 3 hits on another Fuso didn't sink it but did knock out one shaft and reduced its speed to 4 knots. The first one I encountered (an Ise) I hit with 6 torps and it just rolled right over.