PDA

View Full Version : Disheartened

Kapitan_Phillips
04-30-07, 01:33 PM
:cry: All I want to do is get overseas to see the girl in my sig. And the cheapest flight I could find? £431. Add to that hotel, food, insurance. I'm just really depressed and angry :damn:

joea
04-30-07, 01:39 PM
:cry: All I want to do is get overseas to see the girl in my sig. And the cheapest flight I could find? £431. Add to that hotel, food, insurance. I'm just really depressed and angry :damn:

Ugh, may I ask where she lives? I assume you are in England.

BTW I can understand, my parents live in Vancouver B.C. and my sister in New York so I know about searching for cheap air tickets. What airline was that BTW, if in Europe you might have tried Easyjet or one fo those low-cost carriers.

Kapitan_Phillips
04-30-07, 01:46 PM
Atlanta.

And Easyjet only do Europe flights, and every BMI flight on the dates I want is sold. Great, huh?

joea
04-30-07, 01:51 PM
Atlanta.

And Easyjet only do Europe flights, and every BMI flight on the dates I want is sold. Great, huh?

Ahh yes I know about Easyjet (I am in Geneva currently) I supposed your sweetheart was in Europe. Yuck, I can really understand your frustration. :damn::damn:

My parents were moving and Dad has some health issues so wanted to go help but it is very expensive right now. We need a transatlantic "low-cost" like Laker back in the day. :-?

The Avon Lady
04-30-07, 01:51 PM
Don't get any stupid ideas (http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=local&id=4980585). :nope:

Kapitan_Phillips
04-30-07, 02:03 PM
Thanks for trying to cheer me up, Avon

Camaero
04-30-07, 02:11 PM
Yeah, avoid stupid ideas like in the link Avon posted.

Instead, build yourself a crate and pack it with food and ship yourself via UPS. Second or next day delivery should do. :up: Let us know how it goes!

Oberon
04-30-07, 02:33 PM
Plane! PLANE?!! One of those new-fangled things that whiz about in the heavens, it'll never catch on.

Go by boat, just make sure it's a small boat....and one that has a deck gun or depth charges to fend off attacks by Subsimmers in Uboats.

Seriously though...I feel your pain man, how come she wound up in the States? I thought she was a UK gal...is it because of the tough phase she's been going through?

Sods law that this would happen now, in the early stages of that deal made over the US air routes, before any of the 'Easyjet' group have had a chance to move in on it.

Kapitan_Phillips
04-30-07, 02:40 PM
We met online :oops:

Oberon
04-30-07, 02:51 PM
Aaaaaah, gotcha...yeah, I met a lass like that...it didn't work out so well...put me off it for life...but I did happen to chance across a the love of my life at college so it all turned out alright.

As for hotel, food and that...can't you stay at hers, or is her place too small or something?

I found:

Our Best Flight Fare from GATWICK to ATLANTA is from £150 (+ £133 tax) flying with NORTHWEST AIRLINES. Leaving on 30 April 2007, and returning from ATLANTA on 07 May 2007.

on here (http://www.dialaflight.com/flightlist.asp?airport=692&departday=30&departmonth=2007-04&destination=Atlanta&returnday=07&returnmonth=2007-05&x=24&y=11)

There might be travel-lodges and places in the area that do cheap stays...although I'm not so sure about insurance and that. Cheap food should hopefully be fair dos, considering the pound to dollar at the moment. Perhaps you should also try KLM, or some of the less well known liners...do a search for who operates to the US...even if you have to get a cheap flight to Europe to get a cheap flight to the States (god alone knows how that'd work out...but I've never flown before so I'm guessing how the airline industry functions).

Sorry if I'm already going over ground you've covered, I've never flown before, although me and the other half are eyeing up San Fran and the West Coast for a potential honeymoon spot in the near-ish future.
I hope you find something mate, even if it's hitching a lift with Beardy Branson if he tries another Round the World in a Hot Air balloon attempt.

Kapitan_Phillips
04-30-07, 02:58 PM
Its all sorted guys :D I just overreacted. We can afford the tickets, and I dont even have to pay for a hotel OR food. I'm visiting her grandparents with her and her dad (looking forward to that, they're Panthers fans!) and then staying with a friend of her dads for the second week.

Tchocky
04-30-07, 03:06 PM
Tell me about it. I'm also separated by the Atlantic :(

Not long till summer :)

Oberon
04-30-07, 03:07 PM
ALRIIIIIGHT!!

Nice one Kapt Phil! :rock:

Understand about the over-reacting, I get like that when nothing seems to be working right and the walls are closing in. :damn:
Still, at least it's all sorted now, and you can go and see her.

Give her our best regards won't ya? Tell her that the Ubootwaffe needs their Engel back

Camaero
04-30-07, 03:18 PM
Sorry if I'm already going over ground you've covered, I've never flown before, although me and the other half are eyeing up San Fran and the West Coast for a potential honeymoon spot in the near-ish future.

If you like smelly stinky cities then san fran is the place to go. Nah, it is ok but it's not for me. If you like scenic places then flying into San Luis Obispo and taking a drive on the 1 up the coast of California is one of the prettiest things to see in the whole US. It is a winding and twisting road along the cliffs of California with the ocean on the other side. Anywhere on the central coast is beautiful. Of course stear clear from LA at all costs.:damn:

Anyway, glad you got it sorted Kap!:rock: Just remember my crate method if you run into trouble getting back.:doh:

Tchocky
04-30-07, 03:21 PM
Drive the 1, it's magical.

We did it Frisco->LA

Ishmael
04-30-07, 05:08 PM
Drive the 1, it's magical.

We did it Frisco->LA

Highway 1 is great. But why fly halfway around the world just to drive 250 miles over windy dangerous roads. Stay in S.F., get a hotel in Fisherman's Wharf, the Travelodge on the Wharf is centrally located to the wharf & Pier 39, & buy an all-day pass on the cable cars. From the Wharf, you can take a short walk to the Hyde St. Turntable, have an Irish Coffee across the street at the Buena Vista Cafe by Ghirardelli Square(best chocolate in the world there) and hop the car over towards Powell. Once the car turns onto Powell St., you can get off & walk two blocks downhill to Grant Ave. & Chinatown. Or you can catch the California St. car & ride it to Van Ness to Tommy's Joint or the Hard Rock Cafe. I recommend Tommy's Joint as an old SF landmark. You can also ride the Mason St. line down through North Beach, the Italian section of town. I recommend Little Joe's on Broadway, The North Beach Cafe on Vallejo or Restorante Buca Giovanni in ascending price order. Another place is Tomasso's Pizzeria, Francis Ford Coppola has been seen to frequent there.

SF is a small city with a good public transit system. BART also serves the greater Bay Area & can be taken from the airport to downtown SF. Most of the major tourist attractions are within walking or cable car distance from the Wharf so driving is not really necessary to get around there Most of the other attractions like the Park are accessible by bus or Streetcar. Rather than driving to LA(about 350 miles or 12 hours on hwy 1). Most hotels offer excursions to the Napa Valley & there is a ferry to Vallejo that links to those. There is also the USS Pampanito, but she may not be out of dry dock by the time you get there. Also chck out the Jeremiah O'Brien at fort Mason, The Maritime museum and lots more.

You can even get a tattoo from Lyle Tuttle's on Columbus Ave. where Janis Joplin got her tattoo. My wife got one there on my birthday one year & his female asst. was working. There were also 4 German au-pair girls getting tribal marks. After about 1/2 hour I realized that I had been in tattoo parlors all over the world & it was the first time in my life where I was the only Guy in the tattoo parlor; and I wasn't getting a tattoo.

On the other hand, if you're only interested in giving your blushing bride honeymoon cystitis in a romantic setting, try this place. It's the East Brothers Light Station B&B built on a rock about 1/2 mile from Richmond in the Raccoon Straits north of San Francisco.

http://www.ebls.org/

If you surf, there's always this place, about 30 miles south of SF on the Peninsula coast near Half Moon Bay.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mavericks_%28location%29

joea
04-30-07, 05:36 PM
Good news Kaptain :up: :arrgh!:

Rilder
04-30-07, 06:47 PM
We met online :oops:

Been there my friend. Met a girl who lived in Australia once. :p

Grats on getting over to her though.

baggygreen
04-30-07, 06:53 PM
glad its workin out well for ya KP:yep:

dean_acheson
05-01-07, 10:14 AM
Such is the price of love! :D

P_Funk
05-01-07, 08:14 PM
I met this girl once that was apprehensive about dating me since I lived 40 minutes away by bus.:-?

I think I should show her this thread.:rotfl:

geetrue
05-01-07, 11:05 PM
Why don't ya'll meet in the middle ... ?

Lets see now, one of you lives in England and one of you lives in Atlanta, right?

Bermuda is nice this time of year :rotfl:

azn_132
05-01-07, 11:40 PM

If you like smelly stinky cities then san fran is the place to go. Nah, it is ok but it's not for me. If you like scenic places then flying into San Luis Obispo and taking a drive on the 1 up the coast of California is one of the prettiest things to see in the whole US. It is a winding and twisting road along the cliffs of California with the ocean on the other side. Anywhere on the central coast is beautiful. Of course stear clear from LA at all costs.:damn:

Anyway, glad you got it sorted Kap!:rock: Just remember my crate method if you run into trouble getting back.:doh:

Or go to Diego for the beaches in stuff or visit Napa and Central Valley, maybe to the Sierras is fine.