PDA

View Full Version : old questions, new questions

acid001
04-29-07, 09:28 PM
well i had my rant ,stomped off in anger,took my ball went home, ect.apologies to those who got offended.

now to business,

1.i read o lot of posts that say, "we cant fix it ,its hard coded,ie ai behavior we have to wait for the devs" ok fair enough but if people wrote this "hard code" whats to stop modders from rewriting the code? is it locked or somthing i am not aware of?
2. what is this refrence to "bernard"? i see its some kind of inside joke,could somone please enlighten me?
3 if people are waiting for a magic patch that will fix all the more serious "issues" in the game why cant modders put out a patch? they obviously are smart people. is there somthing stoppng said efforts?
4. why does this game cause so many diffrent behaviors? example some people get stupid destroyers, while others get lethal ones,some ppl get periscope depth and crashdive no problem whiile others get a one way trip to the bottom of the sea?or diffrent behaviors on one machine from game to game? this confuses me greatly. i would think that a bug or issue would be experienced all the time on all machines (excluding diffrent platforms) . maybie diffrent processors?,example few years ago most games seemed to be written on intel chisets,i remember seeing patches from like amd i think it was the amd people hs to put out the patch,not the game s publisher is something simelar happeneing now?

please exuse a dumb old man and dont flame just answer please

Monica Lewinsky
04-29-07, 09:32 PM
2. what is this refrence to "bernard"? i see its some kind of inside joke,could somone please enlighten me?He is just bilge pump juice. ;)

Someone who lubes your joint.

acid001
04-29-07, 09:39 PM
im sorry ,i got a brick for a brain:doh: i still dont get it .i see some posters saying "dont let bernard catch you doing that! could u provide an example?

ah i get it now,its like having barney fife on your crew

SteamWake
04-29-07, 10:06 PM
im sorry ,i got a brick for a brain:doh: i still dont get it .i see some posters saying "dont let bernard catch you doing that! could u provide an example?

ah i get it now,its like having barney fife on your crew

Its sort of an inside joke carried over from the days when silent hunter 3 was in a similar state of flux as silent hunter 4 finds itslef in right now.

Bernard was sort of a whipping boy for nearly everything.

search the sh3 forums for at least to dozen hits.

FAdmiral
04-30-07, 12:37 AM
4. why does this game cause so many diffrent behaviors? example some people get stupid destroyers, while others get lethal ones,some ppl get periscope depth and crashdive no problem whiile others get a one way trip to the bottom of the sea?or diffrent behaviors on one machine from game to game? this confuses me greatly. i would think that a bug or issue would be experienced all the time on all machines (excluding diffrent platforms) . maybie diffrent processors?,example few years ago most games seemed to be written on intel chisets,i remember seeing patches from like amd i think it was the amd people hs to put out the patch,not the game s publisher is something simelar happeneing now?

Having had an install of SH4 that had everthing wrong and then the 2nd install
that had it all right would lead me to believe something went bad with
the first install. And you are not a dumb old man, you get smarter as you get
older. I should know cause I am 68....

JIM

Dantenoc
04-30-07, 01:38 AM
Answer to question 1:

Humans understand human languages such as English, Spanish, and so on and so forth. Computers do not.

Computers can understand low level languages, often called "machine code", which are basicaly a very ackward set of numeric values that represent instructions to the computer. Humans can not.

The solution: a compromise. Programs are written on high level programming languages like C# or Visual Basic which resemble the languages that humans can uderstand (Most are based on the english language), and afterwards, they are "compiled" (translated) into machine code so that it can then be executable on a computer. Once compiled (translated into machine code) a program is no longer understandable to a human being, and hence can not be realistictly expected to be able to modify it. To make matters worse, translation is, for the most part, one way only, so it cannot be "untranslated" back into a high level language. Only the owner of the original program before it was compiled (the "source code") can change it and then re-compile it again.

The issue is, of course, more complex than that, but that's the short explanation.

Sailor Steve
04-30-07, 10:49 AM
1.i read o lot of posts that say, "we cant fix it ,its hard coded,ie ai behavior we have to wait for the devs" ok fair enough but if people wrote this "hard code" whats to stop modders from rewriting the code? is it locked or somthing i am not aware of?
It's extremely illegal to do it without express permission from the publisher. People pay hundred-thousand-dollar fines, go to jail, that kind of thing. They can be a little picky sometimes.

2. what is this refrence to "bernard"? i see its some kind of inside joke,could somone please enlighten me?
Look at the SH3 board "Humorous Pictures" thread. The very first one has a joke about somebody screwing up. The name used was 'Bernard', and it stuck. All stupid things are now done by Bernard.

3 if people are waiting for a magic patch that will fix all the more serious "issues" in the game why cant modders put out a patch? they obviously are smart people. is there somthing stoppng said efforts?
Patches usually involve rewriting or updating the code. See answer to (1) above.

Some of it is intentional - trying to reflect better/worse crews on the AI ships. Some of it is actual bugs - sometimes things slip by the developers; hence the patches. Some of may actually be processor-sensitive. I don't know enough about the ins and outs of computers to say more than that.

But it's fun to flame people. Unfortunately all your questions were good ones and I can't do that. Thanks for ruining my day.:rotfl:

AVGWarhawk
04-30-07, 11:32 AM
Please do not feel you are going to be flamed for asking a question here at Subsim. We like to keep it civil here as much as possible. There are no stupid questions just stupid answers.

I think Sailor Steve has you covered on answers :up: