PDA

View Full Version : Irritated with life

Penelope_Grey
04-29-07, 06:33 PM
Last thing I want to do is whine and complain, but I think I am at a bit of a low ebb at present. Lately I just don't know what to do with myself, sure I have my little job and I am happy there in my tiny office and I have my e-mail pal coming to visit me soon and all, but when I get free time its like, I don't know what to do at all! Its really frustrating and since I must share the PC with my brother that rules out games as a cure all.

I am still peeved about the death of Lizzie the Lizard. She still plays on my mind quite a bit, my chief confidant is now gone. So I have nobody to tell all my darkest secrets to. I feel a bit upset about it still.

I don't know... ugh... I seem to, look for things to do rater than just chilling and taking it easy. Maybe that is where I am going wrong in short, I don't feel too happy lately. I hope its just a temporary thing because I like to be happy and uplifted I hate feeling low.

Camaero
04-29-07, 06:40 PM
You can tell all of your darkest secrets to us, we won't tell anyone.

Just find something that makes you happy and do it. If you don't like your job then (gasp) quit and find something you do like. Start an Iguana farm and listen to the lizard king. Far out man!:sunny:

TteFAboB
04-29-07, 06:57 PM
Brother, problem. No brother, no problem.

:huh: :-? :damn: :dead: :roll:

Skybird
04-29-07, 07:12 PM
Maybe that is where I am going wrong in short, I don't feel too happy lately. I hope its just a temporary thing because I like to be happy and uplifted I hate feeling low.

Sounds as if exactly that is the problem. ;)

kiwi_2005
04-29-07, 10:00 PM
Getting out of the same old same helps, whenever im bored ( irratation to me means 'myself' is bored & needs a lift) i'll go out,grab some friends and hit the town, or watch a movie, or just being around friends helps.

Trick for me is to now and then temperary change the same old same lifestyle. :)

bradclark1
04-29-07, 10:08 PM
Rent 'Alien vs. Predator', get your favorite junk food and beverage, turn the volume up high and you will probably feel better after.:up:

geetrue
04-29-07, 10:30 PM
Have you tried laughter? I was just watching a show on satellite called America's Funniest Home Video's, comes on every sunday night over here.
Makes you feel good to laugh.

Have you tried a trip to the sea shore, especially on a stormy day with the waves bashing the rocks, causes positive eon's to burst in the air?
Makes you feel good.

Have you tried looking at old family photos with your brother or other family members?
Makes you laugh and feel good to remember old memories.

Have you tried tying one on? No don't do that ... alcohol is just a temporary solution and can lead to a life time of problems.
Plus shorten your life span.

Depression is real ... millions of people face it every day, even I have been known to be depressed, but my new computer lap top from Dell
(only $30 a month on approved credit) keeps me happy lately.
Now I have no excuse to finish writing the next award winning submarine screenplay to be sold to a major movie production studio.

Cheer up Penelope_Grey, we love you, subsim loves you, your brother loves you, even God loves you ...

I'll be praying for you ... :yep:

GlobalExplorer
04-30-07, 04:27 AM
The best advice that I can give you:

Exercise. When I feel down, it helps a lot to do short runs. The positve effect of sports is well established and can be felt almost instantly. Just dont overdo it - its not necessary. Running 1 km every two days will already do.

Take everything with humour. That will also make you very popular with other people.

Eat well. When I feel unhealthy, I cook a soup everyday that contains good vegetables like tomatoes, potatoes, garlic, and olive oil.

Don't do things that you don't want to just because everybody tells you they are good for you.

Find something that gets you hooked, like learning how to program or building aircraft models.

If you want supplements, take omega acid of very high EPA/DHA rating. Their effectiveness is disputed, but I found them to increase my energy and well being, without any side effects.

The Avon Lady
04-30-07, 04:38 AM
Volunteer to help others that you can contribute to, making you realize how much you can help others and bring to light how much you yourself have to be grateful for - with or without a lizard. ;)

P_Funk
04-30-07, 04:54 AM
Usually that kind of restless feeling comes from feeling trapped by your life or because you don't feel fulfilled with your routine.

I've known that feeling. Maybe you need a date or something. Or go to a concert.

The secret is to resist doing whats easy. Go out there and do something new and wild. And as much as I love SH3. Computer games are alot like sex without love; they just make you sad in the end.

GlobalExplorer
04-30-07, 05:50 AM
The secret is to resist doing whats easy. Go out there and do something new and wild.

That can work out, but also make your life more miserable. What if you are not able to or just don`t want to? That way people often end up in the old vicious circle of feeling depressed because they are depressed.

I've known that feeling. Maybe you need a date or something.

Again it can work but you might start thinking "I must enjoy myself / I must have a date / I must be the complete opposite of what I am", and thats much worse then depression.

Don`t put impossible requirements on yourself. If people have problems and try to solve them by doing impossible things, they will break down under the pressure.

Therefore my advice is always to first get the machinery working again, through healthier food, sport, fresh air. People are not depressed because they are too stupid to enjoy life, but because their body is producing too many ill-feeling chemicals. And they are not doing themselves a favour by letting others push them into stressful situations.

KevinB
04-30-07, 06:01 AM
Be true to you heart.

P_Funk
04-30-07, 06:04 AM
The secret is to resist doing whats easy. Go out there and do something new and wild.
That can work out, but also make your life more miserable. What if you are not able to or just don`t want to? That way people often end up in the old vicious circle of feeling depressed because they are depressed.

I've known that feeling. Maybe you need a date or something.
Again it can work but you might start thinking "I must enjoy myself / I must have a date / I must be the complete opposite of what I am", and thats much worse then depression.

Don`t put impossible requirements on yourself. If people have problems and try to solve them by doing impossible things, they will break down under the pressure.

Therefore my advice is always to first get the machinery working again, through healthier food, sport, fresh air. People are not depressed because they are too stupid to enjoy life, but because their body is producing too many ill-feeling chemicals. And they are not doing themselves a favour by letting others push them into stressful situations. I think you're overdoing it a bit there.

I'm not suggesting she join the circus. I'm saying go do something new. Sometimes pursuing a meaningful relationship is worthwhile. Sometimes you just aren't getting out often enough. Without being her shrink I can't assume anything about her.

All I know is sometimes people just get locked into dull monotony. Unless Penelope wants to confess to a B vitamin deficiency I can't go Homeopathic on her with my advice.:p

When I say resist doing the easy thing I mean instead of sitting at home on friday, go out. Instead of eating at the same restaurant, try some new place. Instead of meeting the same friends, call up one that you don't see very often.

Just shake it up. Don't do anything too crazy, just try and look outside your normal routine.

S'all I was saying.:roll:

jumpy
04-30-07, 06:16 AM
"Cheer up, it might never happen..."

One of the most useless things anyone has ever said to me when I was/am in a similar feeling to you. So little worth of sentiment but they said it anyway. What's worse was that it was from a total stranger passing me in the street.. wtf?! who are you to offer me lip-service and to judge by my demeanour that I need consolation? :rotfl:
I concede I probably did have a thundercloud on, heheh.

Do you play an instrument?

I have found music to be an awfully therapeutic indulgence over the years. Either listening to something that just makes you well up with positive emotion or gives you 'goose-bumps' all over. Or playing music; my acoustic guitar has provided me with many a happy hour of twiddling away boredom or misery. Plus you can always learn something new on it.

Music is most forms is always good for the soul.

P_Funk
04-30-07, 06:24 AM
Good point.

This oughta put a dip in yo' hip and a glide in yo' stride.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmkoAUs0WKI

"Hey Bootsy!"

GlobalExplorer
04-30-07, 06:29 AM
P_Funk I have no problem with what you say, but the point of my post was absolutely not to prevent anybody from doing something out of the ordinary to get out of a "dull monotony", as you call it very fittingly.

It's just that most people have no first hand experience with real mood disorders, and they think all you have to do is just be normal again.

A similar situation happens to most of us when a person has a talent to do something very well (think of painting or mathematics) and that person tells us: look it's that easy, why can`t you just do it too?

Now why can`t you?

GlobalExplorer
04-30-07, 06:31 AM
I have found music to be an awfully therapeutic indulgence over the years. Either listening to something that just makes you well up with positive emotion or gives you 'goose-bumps' all over. Or playing music; my acoustic guitar has provided me with many a happy hour of twiddling away boredom or misery. Plus you can always learn something new on it.

Good point. I found too that music helps me, and it should also be very good for one's intelligence, opening pathways and such.

Just make sure that it's no depressing music. :rotfl:

P_Funk
04-30-07, 06:52 AM
P_Funk I have no problem with what you say, but the point of my post was absolutely not to prevent anybody from doing something out of the ordinary to get out of a "dull monotony", as you call it very fittingly.

It's just that most people have no first hand experience with real mood disorders, and they think all you have to do is just be normal again.

A similar situation happens to most of us when a person has a talent to do something very well (think of painting or mathematics) and that person tells us: look it's that easy, why can`t you just do it too?

Now why can`t you? Im not sure if you can say Penelope has a mood disorder. (sorry for referring to you in the 3rd) I mean. I have felt very much the same way as her. Shes right around my age too. This is a tough age to be. One thing I noticed was I let myself fall into a stupor and not do much for a number of months. The few things that I did do I put all my hope and emotional self esteem into. So when this girl acted like a silly teen girl or when that friend turned out to be a douche it really dragged me down.

But I got a handle on it all by figuring out how to get my life moving again. Its different for everyone. And like I said, I don't know anything specific or clinical about Penelope. All I have is a generic message of unhappiness to work with. But its a common thread for teens.

I just know what works for me and a few people I know. No offense intended to you Explorer.;) And I'm not trying to say "just do this and you'll be better. Whats wrong with you? Its so easy!". I'm far from happy. I'm way to angst ridden and left wing to be happy. But I'm managing to find a way to be less down about it all.:smug:

P_Funk
04-30-07, 06:56 AM

Parliament Funkadelic is far from depressing. Its absolutely funktastic! Its a shot in the ass with a bop gun!

Good point.

"Hey Bootsy!"

joea
04-30-07, 07:05 AM
Good stuff P_Funk, no one can stay depressed with that music!

"Hey Penelope!" Cheer up we're rooting for you!

danlisa
04-30-07, 07:21 AM
I think I know what you mean Pen.:yep:

I find that more often than not I feel the same way. It's not something that you can put your finger on or change something and suddenly all is well again. It's just 'there'.

My mood is up & down like a yo yo most days, it's not my diet, it's not my work, it's not my social life & it's not my health. The only solice I can take is that it doesn't last forever.

Everyone can't be 'up' all the time and if they are, meh, they're on drugs.:rotfl:

There is this 'stigma' these day's that says, 'you have to be busy, you have to be doing something, you need every minute of your day filled' to lead a happy & productive life. Bollocks!! The only thing you need to do is have some 'alone' time. Whether that is reading a book, watching the TV, listening to music, playing a game etc. It's called 'escapism'. Something that takes your mind off the usual hum drum of every day life and anything that might be playing on your mind.

I have found that most people who 'stress' about 'what to do next' or how to keep themselves busy usually find themselves spiraling further into depression, just from worrying about it.

There are two options here, first, find something that you can do while relaxing and that you enjoy. The second, well, there is a natural remedy for 'the blues' but don't offer it here or you'll have all these dirty sea dogs 'coming down on you'.....no not that:damn:....'coming after you'......not that either:damn: (well maybe;))......oh nuts!!! You know what I mean.:rotfl:

Until such time as you feel better within yourself, we are here for you.:up:

Take care.

GlobalExplorer
04-30-07, 07:38 AM
There is this 'stigma' these day's that says, 'you have to be busy, you have to be doing something, you need every minute of your day filled' to lead a happy & productive life. Bollocks!!

Yes I think that is the root of the problem. The modern disease of not allowing youself to be what you are. Bending yourseld to resemble idealized images. People know deep in their heart the extent to which they are bored, lazy, but they are afraid to show it.

kiwi_2005
04-30-07, 07:57 AM

Parliament Funkadelic is far from depressing. Its absolutely funktastic! Its a shot in the ass with a bop gun!

Good point.

"Hey Bootsy!"

Ahh i always would wonder if your name really meant the P Funk from the band Parliament "Give up the funk" or an old favourite when discos were in :rotfl: was "Flashlight" by Parliament. Parliment was one of my favourite bands back in those days....along time ago:D

P_Funk
04-30-07, 08:22 AM

Good point.

"Hey Bootsy!"
Ahh i always would wonder if your name really meant the P Funk from the band Parliament "Give up the funk" or an old favourite when discos were in :rotfl: was "Flashlight" by Parliament. Parliment was one of my favourite bands back in those days....along time ago:D
Oh you better believe that my name is the genuine article of funk. I love the P.

Who couldn't? George Clinton is basically responsible for any and all music worth listening to after 1975, with the exception of punk.

geetrue
04-30-07, 11:59 AM
More fellowship with people doing whatever GlobalExplorer posted to do ...

If you fellowship (hang around) with complaining/lazy people ... They will turn you into a bird of a feather and you know what birds of a feather do?

Avon Lady had a good suggestion too, volunteer for something that really helps others ... this can change your entire life. I volunteered to help out in a convelesant home back in 1985 and another girl volunteered too.
She was about 22 years old and had just got off drugs and was in rehibiltation, but she had lost her little baby in the process.
Within nine months I saw her come out of her funk and she became a real live person again (she had been dragging feet), plus she got her child back.

See you had more friends than you thought, uh?

STEED
04-30-07, 12:12 PM
Penelope, all you got to do is run naked though the high street for a laugh. ;)

Tchocky
04-30-07, 12:22 PM
You first, STEED :up:

STEED
04-30-07, 12:24 PM
You first, STEED :up:

I did many moons ago, it really made me laugh along with a few others. :lol:

Hitman
04-30-07, 12:26 PM
I suggest you start reading Schopenhauer in german. Once you have gone past the first chapter, anything else than continuing reading it will probably seem marvelous and bringing a new joy into life (Talking out of own experience;) ).

Nah...seriously...Avon Lady gave you the best advice IMO. My experience so far tells me that the times in my life I have felt better are those when I stopped thinking about myself and concentrated in making someone else happy. Egocentrism is too easy and gets you unnoticeably at first but then burns you completely. I feel more balanced and happy since I have my wife and our two sons were born. Feeling yourself unimportant in the life-chain and that your whole existence is dedicated to help those who come after you growing and finding their place in life is probably the best antidote against boredom. I'm not suggesting you go rushing out to get pregnant, but any activity that involves helping others will also help you.

My two cents for you:up:

Penelope_Grey
04-30-07, 12:54 PM
WOW! Lots of replies I am shocked and touched! I wasn't expecting such a feedback! :D

Well I am really really grateful to you all and I read it all through. And lots of good advice, you see the real trouble is I just feel you know... unfullfilled, like you know I am afraid for what happens next.

But I do feel a bit better today, still I could be worse, my brother is pining terrible for this girl in work and he is really shy so doesn't know how best to make a move on her, so I decided to put me energies into helping him for now, phase 1, send a text to her tomorrow and try and arrange an innocent meeting, I know what I'm doing... I think. I'll either shove him to the promised land or I will doom him in the process but either way at least he will know instead of this ridiculous sitting around.

There is something else that could be bothering me, I have been holding onto a big secret of late, well, I am nothing like one of my friends, in fact, I am not 100% sure why we are friends we have nothing in common really, well, she is pregnant, only problem is, she is not sure which out of two men is the father of her baby. ITs just me, I am still a virgin and although I don't have a problem with that, I think if people in my life knew I was, they would have a problem with it when the conversation gets onto sex and things I always clam up because while its nothing to be ashamed of, its something that could get me mocked.

Anyway, feel better today. :)

danlisa
04-30-07, 02:29 PM
Glad you're feeling better today.:sunny:

More power to you gal! If anyone has the audacity to mock you, it's only because they wish they had waited longer.:yep:

Be proud of who you are.:rock:

ASWnut101
04-30-07, 02:44 PM
Please do us a favor though. Stay off any "anti-depressants." That stuff makes people go crazy way too often (ie. Suicide). The best way is always a natural way (No drugs. Those can, and most likely will, tear your life apart).

...Otherwise...

Glad you're feeling better! :D

I'm no psycologist (did I even spell that right? :88) ), so I can only hope that you get even better sooner! :up: :up: :D

PeriscopeDepth
04-30-07, 02:46 PM
I have those off days too. Temporary chemical imbalance perhaps?

PD

ASWnut101
04-30-07, 02:56 PM
I have those off days too. Temporary chemical imbalance perhaps?

PD

Yes, but for others it is a permentent chemical imballance in the brain. I don't want to go into too much detail, but (although it's still not fully understood) it's when something (The wrong "balance" of "chemicals") blocks certain signals in the nerve connections, causing mood swings and depression.

Oberon
04-30-07, 03:04 PM
I would also recommend staying off the A/Ds, as once you're on them you get very dependent on them, also they have some sucky side-effects, including drowsiness (Particularly Ciprilax or something similar.)
Try hard not to fall into a rut of depression as once you're there, it's a struggle to pull yourself out, change things, don't get into a set routine, find things that make you laugh and collect them...build yourself a little 'Laugh repository' (I, in particular, love Dennis Nordens shows, It'll be alright on the night....cracks me up everytime its on :D ) Youtube is good for this if you have a broadband connection.

And above and beyond all things...don't give up hope, nothing lasts forever, neither good or bad, sun will follow rain as day will follow night.

(No...Yoda my name is not. Hmmm! :lol: )

Tchocky
04-30-07, 03:08 PM
A/D's have gotten quite a bad rap, but in some cases they can really help. I wouldnt advise drugs/no drugs without a clearer idea of the conditions, which i'm not qualified to ask for

bigboywooly
04-30-07, 03:24 PM
Dont be ashamed to be a virgin at your age Pen
Tis a pity a lot more girls didnt feel the same

Kudos to you

And if they truly are your friends they will understand

Dont get yourself down over the actions of a " friend "

Hope your visit from your email friend shakes the blues

:()1:

Ishmael
04-30-07, 03:39 PM

Good point.

"Hey Bootsy!"

Quite agree P_Funk. Brother George Clinton said it best:

"Free your mind and your A** will follow."

Try this one for a Soul Vaccination from the Funky Doctor, Lenny Pickett & Tower of Power:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvAoOwesu4k

Tchocky
04-30-07, 03:42 PM
Doctor Funkenstein!

Skybird
04-30-07, 05:20 PM
Chasing happiness is like grabbing sand: the tighter your grip, the more it vanishes between your fingers. Hating an emotional low is like hating yourself: having times you feel low is part of human nature.

It's a freaky idea of the modern time to assume that we always must be happy, and funny, and feeling "wunderbar. It also is a hint of how small our tolerance for frustration has become.

Penelope, leave it as it is. Don't take a bait. You must not follow your moods, nor must you lead them. Being aware of them, and then carry on doing what you do (even if it is doing nothing) is enough. The span of your life is the same, no matter if you laugh or cry. The only thing you really have in your life is the sound of your own breathing.

And one advise with a serious background: don't be so careless to discuss aspects of your sexuality in public on the web. You eventually may trigger attention of a kind you do not want.

Also, that the internet is an anonymous place does not mean that social taboos are all of a sudden switched off. The web can't replace vis-a-vis contacts, if you want to talk about sensitive issues. If you feel you need the web to talk about intimate items, because you have nobody in your real life - than this is a sign for much deeper trouble you're in.

baggygreen
04-30-07, 07:24 PM
bahahha, weeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEE

no, stay away from the A/ds, i see way too many people hooked onto em. I see their hands start to shake before i hand it to them and then i take it back, telling them to consult with our specialist about it before im happy to give it to them.

A bit of chocolate, a night in front of the fire with a good book n a nice glass of wine, and you'll be good. well better anyways. look for the simple pleasures, dont go finding wild and wacky stuff to do (tho a streak down high street might get you nationally recognised:rotfl: ). the simple pleasures are often the best. bugger often, they ARE the best. And bugger what your friends think about you, cos lets face it its your choice, not really their business! i got a few years on ya, and i told my mates where to go about it. works wonders:smug: tho i do agree with sky, normally it can better to leave some things unsaid on teh interweb, even in as friendly a place as here:D

I do have the best solution for your mood tho... get outta england, do like so many other pommies do and come find the sun! all that gloomy weather cant be good for anyone...:rotfl: :rotfl:

TteFAboB
04-30-07, 07:36 PM
The last thing I want to know from Miss Grey is the state of her virginity.:dead:

Good God Girl! Spent all your time working on your A grades and forgot to attend the Lady classes? It's not about shame, it's about maintaining your sphere of intimacy, preserving your privacy.

First: send mocking friends to hell and rub their children of uncertain fathers, STDs and the ripped ****** and ***** they have after being raped so much in their faces.

Second: take your privacy back and send all of us who commented it to hell aswell and tell us to mind our own business.

baggygreen
04-30-07, 07:49 PM
as nicely as possible, would you mind editing that post just a wee bit?? just a bit?

Iceman
04-30-07, 09:10 PM
Matthew 11
[27] All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him.
[28] Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
[29] Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
[30] For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Philippians 4
[8] Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Rilder
04-30-07, 09:18 PM
Penelope, all you got to do is run naked though the high street for a laugh. ;)

Agreed nakedness fixes everything. :arrgh!:

SUBMAN1
04-30-07, 10:19 PM
Why are you keeping such dark secrets in the first place? Maybe that is contributing to your problem. Maybe some people have a ton of skelitons in the closet, but if I had any opinion on the subject, it is probably best to get them out of the closet so that they can be smashed in the street. Just my two cents. However, in the preservation of family name, you should never subject your own family to anything negative ever! You take your family secrets to your grave if at all possible. So disregard my comments when it comes to family itself.

-S

P_Funk
05-01-07, 02:50 AM
Is it any surprise that sex somehow entered the picture?:roll:

Sex in general as a subject just buggers all us young people up. Especially if you're not gettin' any and or facing potential stigma/peer pressure.

Sex... bloody hell.:roll:

I hate holding big secrets. Like when someone who was friends with my friend's ex girlfriend. Tells me she's a lesbian! But I can't tell anyone. :doh:

dean_acheson
05-01-07, 10:13 AM
Read a good book, something by McCulloh or Morrison. I am swimming though his 11 vol. history of the U.S. Navy. Pretty cheap buying used books on amazon.

Listen to some Vivaldi.

Build a model.

Just buy a bottle of booze.

Penelope_Grey
05-01-07, 10:28 AM
I am not going to be taking anti-depressants, also the state of my you know whatsit to me is not a concern but it seems to be to my knocked up friend. Well, that's where sex has gotten her. Still... I had no idea that saying what I did was such a bad thing, I still don't see what the big deal is.

I have always been a private person about a lot of things but lately I think perhaps I have kept a little too much private like my pregnant friend. She just keeps on and on at me for this and that. Today I snapped when she called me at work, and told her if she needs something, to try the baby's father whoever that may be and slammed the phone down... Just couldn' take no more. Oddly enough, I felt better then.

She was then waiting for me at home to "have it out" and I did something absolutely terrible. She was ranting at me for my insensitivity just generally throwing a guilt trip on me, and I lost my temper and grabbed her by the collar of her and I actually lifted her clean off the floor in my temper. I am quite a hefty gal, height wise (5'10") as oppose to her (5'3"). I was going to chuck her into the hedges but I took hold of myself, and I just told her to "get the hell out of my face" and that I don't want to speak to her for the next few days.

Do you know, what the most awful part of that is, the more anger and more aggression I showed and the worse language I let myself use... I enjoyed myself, I was actually enjoying the fact I scared the crap out of one of my friends. I feel guilty now, but, I also feel MUCH better. I feel like I got something out of my system that was hurting me.

I said I feel irritated with life and unsure what to do with myself and it was because I was carrying round a stigma, feeling inadaquate and being used like an agony aunt to people who just take take take, and give nothing back in return. I still feel a bit stuck in a rut, but now, its more bearable, it was like I needed to lash out, and it was good to get what's bothering you out off your chest and into the open.

Penelope_Grey
05-01-07, 10:35 AM
Build a model.

Just buy a bottle of booze.

My brother and I are building a model of the Bismarck Dean, we spend a lot of good quality time together, we are very close but, I'm starting to think I could confide in him a little more than I do that I don't have to be so private anymore. I had the problem that I confided to my pet iguana, and that meant I had told someone, so that meant I had talked about it. Problem solved. Only now there is no confidant maybe I should have allowed myself to talk to Mikey more than I have done, he talks to me, but... I never wanted to burden others with things bothering me. Perhaps I need to think of me a little more.

I'm not much of a drinker, to be honest I am not best keen on booze and avoid it where possible. I did buy a pack of menthol cigarettes though as I am a bit of a light smoker, I don't have any intention of smoking them if I can help it. They are just there as a "just in case" its a psychological thing more than anything. They are still in the wrapper!

But I feel more perky anyway.

Ishmael
05-01-07, 12:34 PM
I said I feel irritated with life and unsure what to do with myself and it was because I was carrying round a stigma, feeling inadaquate and being used like an agony aunt to people who just take take take, and give nothing back in return. I still feel a bit stuck in a rut, but now, its more bearable, it was like I needed to lash out, and it was good to get what's bothering you out off your chest and into the open.

Just play them this:

http://www.youtube.com/v/HIJeEWMj0dE

bigboywooly
05-01-07, 02:03 PM
Seems you found your cure
:rotfl:

Dont let your friends " position " put you in that place again

Be open
You will - and do - feel better for it

Sail on and smile Pen :up:

STEED
05-01-07, 02:10 PM
Break wind in the cinema that always gets a laugh. :lol:

robbo180265
05-01-07, 04:38 PM
I found myself in a similar position not so long ago.

I have something of a reputation around these parts as a person you can unload your problems on. For years this has worked well, I'm a pretty good listener and it is sometimes easier to offer advice when you're not directly involved in the problem.

Then a friend introduced me to a girl who had really been through it, she'd had a rough time in her teens. She had OCD and had suffered from an eating disorder, she'd also had an abusive boyfriend as well - a real horror story.

As you might imagine we started talking, and she started unloading. I really didn't mind too much, until it seemed like it was happening all the time. Even if I was with friends, she'd drag me off to a corner and talk. Also I noticed that she wasn't really listening to any advice I gave(including I can't really deal with this, you need professional help) I was begining to suspect that it was the attention that she was after.

After that I tried to distance myself from her a little(plus I was going through a divorce at the time as well)
I can't really go into details except that one night she fabricated a problem to get my attention causing all manner of grief for everybody present. We don't really see much of each other anymore, to be honest I feel uncomfortable in her company.

I know that all of her behaviour was probably linked to her past, but I really couldnt cope with her problems plus my own. Also the fact that she wouldn't seek help drained me as well.

I guess what I'm trying to say in my long winded way is:

Look after No1
If a friendship becomes hard work - it maybe time to bin it
Never be afraid to admit defeat - Dust yourself down, start again

Good luck Penny, I'm sure you'll get through it:up:

geetrue
05-01-07, 06:03 PM
I see a lot of other people's personalities coming out into the open over your problem Penelope.

Wouldn't it be cool if we could all go down to the local pub or Pizza Hut and have fellowship together, especially if we were all open and honest like we have been.

Except for Steed of course:

He would have made a good submarine sailor for sure ... :yep:

You meet the most interesting people online too bad we are seperated by many miles and even an ocean or two in some cases.

Ishmael
05-01-07, 06:27 PM
"How Can I Miss You When You Won't Go Away?"

By Dan Hicks

Oh I talked to your momma & I talked to your dad,
They say they tried but it's all in vain.
I've begged and I've pleaded, I even got mad.
Now we must face it. You give me a pain.

How can I miss you when you won't go away?
I keep telling you day after day.
But you don't listen, you only stay & stay.

Your never-ending presence really cramps my style.
I dream that it won't always be the same.
At first I was attracted, but after a while,
Have you ever heard of the hard-to-get game?

Out of six billion people, why must it be me?
Oh why, oh why won't you cut me loose?
Do me a favor and listen to my plea.
I'm not the only fish in the sea.

I talked to your mother and I talked to your dad.
They say they tried but it's all in vain.
I begged and I pleaded, I've even got mad.
Now we must face it. You give me a pain.

But you don't listen. You only stay & stay.

kurtz
05-01-07, 08:19 PM
I often get those feelings you describe and also find it can make you feel a lot better having a good shout at someone. What I generally try and do is go to Aikido (on the web or try karate/kickboxing). However Aikido has a bit more thought about it and the people you meet there are generally deeper thinkers than most other martial types (sorry other martial arts types!). I know it's hard to do I've not been for months and it's getting harder to go back but I know once I do I'll be fine for ages, torn muscles aside.

Also have a look at airsoft that usually gets the stagnant chi out of my system.

I know people have said this already but, the mind isn't seperate from the body just a good run (I know it's hard to do and I make all sorts of excusues to myself) will make a big difference.

Stay off ADs you just lose years of your life and do go listening to the god botherers they're always on the hunt for someone who seems vulnerable.

Mike

Rilder
05-01-07, 08:53 PM
Do you know, what the most awful part of that is, the more anger and more aggression I showed and the worse language I let myself use... I enjoyed myself, I was actually enjoying the fact I scared the crap out of one of my friends. I feel guilty now, but, I also feel MUCH better. I feel like I got something out of my system that was hurting me.

Ahh yes, simular to me, always gutting down anger and releasing them on people you love...

If you live in the country, go out into the woods, find a sturdy stick and unleash Hades on the trees... :stare:

STEED
05-02-07, 04:32 AM
Except for Steed of course:

He would have made a good submarine sailor for sure ... :yep:

You meet the most interesting people online too bad we are seperated by many miles and even an ocean or two in some cases.

The last time I was at the cinema I let out a loud one and someone shouted better out than in and a lot of folk had a good laugh. :lol: