PDA

View Full Version : About Fed Up

Patch
04-29-07, 05:03 PM
Man oh man.............

I have been an advid fan of sub sims for many eons.....going all the way back to Silent Service on my old C64 as a kid..........every sub sim that has come out I have owned and played.........

I have got to say that so far I am so not impressed with SH4 at all.

Spending hours stalking ships and subs is great fun in my humble opinion......................but spending countless hours just trying to figure out where to end my patrol and make sure i do not run out of disel is just too damn tedious!!

Left Java on patrol to Celbes sea. I get there accomplish my mission, assigned another, accomplish that too and head to the nearest marked base since the one on Java and manila are both gone.......Brisbane looks close. Wrong answer! I refit and head for Pearl........Wrong answer! Refit and try Midway......Wrong answer! Off to Freemantle I go......low and behold that is where I was to end my patol. No one told me! Am I missing something or are we supposed to just guess???

Am I correct, that you can only refit and such where an anchor is displayed? If so, that is just plain nuts LOL

Current patrol from Freemantle to Celbes Sea.....for like the 4th time now......by the time I get there I am at like 54% disel and that is running along at 11kts. Any faster I am below 50%when I get there, any slower and it becomes just too damn tedious traveling to the assigned patrol area. Once I get there I am assigned to patrol arround and sink merchies............cannot hang arround too long if I wish to make it back to port without running out of disel.

Am I doing something wrong here or are others having the same issue?

As it stands, the countless hours just steaming between ports to refuel is pretty dang boring!!!

Any insight?

-Patch-

joea
04-29-07, 05:06 PM
Well do a search on missions, there is a guide stickied...yes there are some glitches but htey're being figured out.

Schnee
04-29-07, 05:11 PM
Glad its not just me - I mounted a patrol from Freemantle to the Celebes. Duly returned to Freemantle but could only refit. Grabbed some fuel, sailed over to Brisbane where I was allowed to dock and end the patrol.

But yeah, unless I missed something, nobody told me of the change of base.

Mind you, I did get a new Salmon class for my efforts :D

donut
04-29-07, 05:45 PM
Death dive to Davey Jones locker,no damage bug,Is turning me off off off !!! you must save,or you get the fickle finger of fate,does kill enjoyment of what could be a fine Sim. Like someone said in another post,this game does just what it wants!!!:damn: :damn: :damn: Frustrating to say the most. Patched to 1.02

Onkel Neal
04-29-07, 07:55 PM
Patch, I've changed you post title, was not sure what you meant.

The best solution for you is to use the unlimited fuel realism option. Then you can steam at flank speed and it will cut down on the time between ports.

Neal

SteamWake
04-29-07, 08:01 PM
but spending countless hours just trying to figure out where to end my patrol and make sure i do not run out of disel is just too damn tedious!!

Im sure that "real" skippers felt the same way.

marky
04-29-07, 08:10 PM
i have to agree

the fuel and other garbage is too much

Patch
04-29-07, 08:41 PM
Pretty sure real skippers knew what port they were sailing to......:)

LOL

Neal....no problem on thread title...........was typing and talking on phone and had no idea what I had typed LOL!

Turning on unlimited fuel has been an idea I have been floating..........but blows my whole realisim attempt........:)

SteamWake
04-29-07, 08:43 PM

LOL

Neal....no problem on thread title...........was typing and talking on phone and had no idea what I had typed LOL!

Turning on unlimited fuel has been an idea I have been floating..........but blows my whole realisim attempt........:)

Okay now Im officially confused !

swash
04-29-07, 10:14 PM
I guess I take the tedious approach in traveling. Slow boat to China so to say. Ahead slow all the way, 2048 TC max.

I only use faster speeds to gain position on a target, rarely flank unless I'm in a really bad spot.

Was fun in SH3 getting the Drumbeat assignment area. Had to nurse the fuel there and back.

Silent Service on a C64:D

That's where I started my virtual sealegs:rotfl:

Onkel Neal
04-29-07, 10:15 PM

LOL

Don't feel bad about playing with unlimited fuel, it's easy to override with your imagination; just pull into port and coast the last 100 feet ;)

mainexpress
04-30-07, 12:17 AM
im having the same issue to with the deisel fuel consumption,even with the couple mod packs ive experimented with,im on a patrol right now in a gato class and went on the surface only at 2/3 rds speed and ahead slow from midway and im 1000nm from the east china sea and i have only 64% fuel left,im getting fed up too:damn: so i guess ill start over with unlimited.Im supposed to drop off a spy off the yellow sea area.

heartc
04-30-07, 03:55 AM
im having the same issue to with the deisel fuel consumption,even with the couple mod packs ive experimented with,im on a patrol right now in a gato class and went on the surface only at 2/3 rds speed and ahead slow from midway and im 1000nm from the east china sea and i have only 64% fuel left,im getting fed up too:damn: so i guess ill start over with unlimited.Im supposed to drop off a spy off the yellow sea area.

Not the fuel consumption is the point discussed here, but not being able to dock at any port / not being informed when the home port changes while at sea.

You cannot zip accross the Pacific and expect to not run out of fuel, neither in game nor iRL. This is NOT a bug. 2/3 speeds can well be too much. Cruising speed is 1/3. Especially for long trips. What you can do is when you start out say in Pearl, and want to go to Honshu, you can run at Ahead Full to Midway, then refit and continue on slower. These kind of things. That's how they did it in the real world, too. But when in doubt, or you see the consumption rate is too high, always cruise at 1/3. If that's too realistic for you, use unlimited fuel. That's what this option is there for.

mainexpress
04-30-07, 11:17 AM

Not the fuel consumption is the point discussed here, but not being able to dock at any port / not being informed when the home port changes while at sea.

You cannot zip accross the Pacific and expect to not run out of fuel, neither in game nor iRL. This is NOT a bug. 2/3 speeds can well be too much. Cruising speed is 1/3. Especially for long trips. What you can do is when you start out say in Pearl, and want to go to Honshu, you can run at Ahead Full to Midway, then refit and continue on slower. These kind of things. That's how they did it in the real world, too. But when in doubt, or you see the consumption rate is too high, always cruise at 1/3. If that's too realistic for you, use unlimited fuel. That's what this option is there for.Are you actually saying the real U.S. submarine {silent service} cruised to japan at 1/3 speed the whole way.now im talking realistically during WW2,i find that hard to believe i would like to try and dig up some facts about this somewhere,please correct me if im wrong.

AVGWarhawk
04-30-07, 11:19 AM
Actually, they would run on 2-3 of the diesels on transit. We do not have the ability to shut off any engines. For the most part, yes, they cruised at 12-14 knots.

mookiemookie
04-30-07, 11:32 AM
Actually, they would run on 2-3 of the diesels on transit. We do not have the ability to shut off any engines. For the most part, yes, they cruised at 12-14 knots.

This jives with what I've read. Of course poor weather could slow the ships down a lot, but about 14 knots was considered the most economical cruising speed.

AVGWarhawk
04-30-07, 11:33 AM
This then would be around 1/3 to standard, yes?

Bane
04-30-07, 12:01 PM
For your fuel concerns might I suggest trying the Keyboard Function Mod 1.2 (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=112317). With it you can request your maximum range at your current speed with Shift+G (among other things that were present in SH3 but not enabled in SH4 for some reason). This eliminates the guesswork and makes rationing fuel much easier.

Being based in Pearl Harbor there's no way I could cruise at 12-14 knots. I would be out of fuel long before getting back to base. I cruise only at 1/3 (8 knots for Gar class). It was the same way in SH3 as well. I have no idea if that's historically accurate, but it's what I have to do if I want to play with limited fuel.

SteamWake
04-30-07, 12:34 PM

Ahead 1/3 typically gets me around 8 knots.

fredbass
04-30-07, 12:42 PM

That is correct, but why isn't 1/3 called slow in game. (sorry if its been discussed b4). Didn't feel like searching. :lol:

And for fuel conservation, I typically run everywhere, when not in a hurry, at around 6 knots during the night and 3 knots submerged during the day.

SteamWake
04-30-07, 01:10 PM

That is correct, but why isn't 1/3 called slow in game. (sorry if its been discussed b4). Didn't feel like searching. :lol:

And for fuel conservation, I typically run everywhere, when not in a hurry, at around 6 knots during the night and 3 knots submerged during the day.

This is more or less what I do as well. But in the big picture dont you think it would impact the campaign overall. I mean it can take months to reach a patrol point !

You and your crew will be out to sea much longer from what would have been "normal".

Maybe this has something to do with the "early retirements" as well ?

joea
04-30-07, 01:15 PM
Could the sub fuel consumption rate be modded? Could the amount of fuel be modded otherwise? Can't recall if this was done in SHIII or not.

Redwine
04-30-07, 01:28 PM
Hi all....

The minimun fule conpsumption is that set for max range into sub .sim file.

Most are 10knots.

Any way, into the indicator, it is not the most econo speed, it is a litlle bit under.

for a Gato and Balao it is about 9.4 knots.

Any knot above or any knot under reduce dramatically the max range.

Go into sub .cfg file and adjust for each sub :

[EngineProperties]
AllStop=0.00
AheadSlow=0.20
AheadOneThird=0.45

With ahead slow 0.20 you will have 2knots when hit silent running.

With ahead one third 0.45 you will have the fuel economy spedd 9.4knots.

I made these changes into v1.1 when the Shift+G key worked fine, it gives you the max range at present speed...

With these settings ... sailing at 9.4knots, when i pressde Shft+G into a Balao, the crew tells me we have more than 31.000/32.000km range.

If i manually move the speed at 9knots or 10knots, the range droops down to 27.000/28.000km

Sadly, after patch V1.2, Shift+G doesnt work any more in stock or any other moded keyboard....

:up::up::up:

zylark
04-30-07, 01:31 PM
I'm sure it can be modded somehow, but what is the point? Either you run realistic or you dont, ie unlimited fuel.

My self I have found that the standard speed settings are not really fuel efficient. Try a patrol where your surface speed is set to 10 knots (effective speed around 9 knots), and you will see a marked improvement in fuel-distance ratio compared to the usual 12-13 knots of standard 2/3 ahead. Not to mention Standard Ahead. It's like an SUV guzzling carbohydrates for the fun of it...

Redwine
04-30-07, 01:37 PM
I'm sure it can be modded somehow, but what is the point? Either you run realistic or you dont, ie unlimited fuel.

My self I have found that the standard speed settings are not really fuel efficient. Try a patrol where your surface speed is set to 10 knots (effective speed around 9 knots), and you will see a marked improvement in fuel-distance ratio compared to the usual 12-13 knots of standard 2/3 ahead. Not to mention Standard Ahead. It's like an SUV guzzling carbohydrates for the fun of it...

You can easy mod that with notepad, just adjust 0.45 into the position you like the economy speed. :up:

Bane
04-30-07, 02:23 PM
Sadly, after patch V1.2, Shift+G doesnt work any more in stock or any other moded keyboard.... Are you saying here that the Keyboard Function Mod's Shift+G report is inaccurate or just plain doesn't work at all? CCIP (the mod creator) stated it's made for 1.2 and it appears to be working and accurate to me. I'm confused... :confused:

SteamWake
04-30-07, 02:30 PM
I'm sure it can be modded somehow, but what is the point? Either you run realistic or you dont, ie unlimited fuel....

Well the point is that evidently as it is currently modeled it is not realistic.

As was mentioned before boats would often run with some of the engines cut off extending their range.

Also mentioned the "average" cruising speed was about 10 to 12 knots. If you try in the simulation to re-create those average cruising speeds you will not make it.

I know there is a "realistic battery" mod. Dont know about a "realistic fuel consumption" mod.

Patch
04-30-07, 02:44 PM
All the other bugs and issues in the sim I can deal with as they will be slowly iorned out or modded arround like with all other sub sims I have played............the fuel consumption/range issue and the not knowing what base to end a patrol at are highly irritating....................my hope is that one of you smart fellers out there will mod these issues away for my cuz I am old and lazy and would screw things up if I tried it meself...............;)

u48
04-30-07, 02:47 PM
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. Just been upgraded to a Balao class sub....Had to pick it up from Brisbane......( May 1943 ) So being originally based at Pearl Harbour had to fly down to pick her up. Sets off on mission ( fuel no prob coz im playing normal level )
Patrol Palau Islands.....no prob..bags a few tankers, sweet. Then told to patrol Celebes ..No prob off i sets, gets there bags three more tankers, yipppeeeee. Completes patrol not bad sunk 55,000 tons plus.......Ok head back to Brisbane.....What ? Cant dock ? Ahhhhhh must mean i gotta take her back to Pearl...........Gets to Pearl....What, cant dock ?????? Oh man, Ok try Brisbane again.....Gets there CANT DOCK ???????????????....Mmmmmmmmm..ah yes try Freemantle......gets there and YES after a month doing sweet fa, cept subriding told i can dock http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/images/icons/icon14.gif......Then told they retiring me and my sub......FFS......:damn:
MAN YOU JUST GOTTA LAUGH. Coz otherwise you will go nuts....( why no message at end of patrol say dock at so and so ? ).......Salute !

Redwine
04-30-07, 03:07 PM
Sadly, after patch V1.2, Shift+G doesnt work any more in stock or any other moded keyboard.... Are you saying here that the Keyboard Function Mod's Shift+G report is inaccurate or just plain doesn't work at all? CCIP (the mod creator) stated it's made for 1.2 and it appears to be working and accurate to me. I'm confused... :confused:

Y saw it doesnt work any more for me, nothing about its accurrate... :up:

Doest it works for you ? :huh:

What happen into my file ? :hmm:

Can you upload your keyboard file with the Shift+G working for me please, use filefront ....

:up::up::up:

Redwine
04-30-07, 03:14 PM
[quote=zylark]

Also mentioned the "average" cruising speed was about 10 to 12 knots. If you try in the simulation to re-create those average cruising speeds you will not make it.

I know there is a "realistic battery" mod. Dont know about a "realistic fuel consumption" mod.

With stock values the economic speed is about 9.4knots.

If the "real life" economic speed was 12knots, then you must to chage it into the .sim file, instead to adjust in example for a Balao 15.000 nm at 10knots, just adjust 15.000nm at 13 knots to have an economy speed of 12 or 12.5knots.

I suspect this small diference is due to the waves, engine must be at RPM for 13knots, but you will sail a little bit under by the waves.

Bane
04-30-07, 03:14 PM
Can you upload your keyboard file with the Shift+G working for me please, use filefront ....
I just downloaded it from the mod section yesterday. Try that as the one on my computer shouldn't be any different.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=112317

Redwine
04-30-07, 03:18 PM
Can you upload your keyboard file with the Shift+G working for me please, use filefront .... I just downloaded it from the mod section yesterday. Try that as the one on my computer shouldn't be any different.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=112317

Many thanks... i will try it.

I used the version for v1.1 and works fine, but later the file for v1.2... doesnt works any more.... :up:

Deep Six
04-30-07, 03:20 PM
I don't know but is it me, when I'm told via radio that cities/ports have fallen to the Japanese offensive.....Should they not change colour, not unlike SH3?

I seem to remember that they remain the same blue colour but the anchor sign just disappeared, would be nice to have an updated map showing how and where by colour the enemy is advancing....I'm sure real skippers would have this marked up on there maps as well.

And yes the "No-Go Port" is frustrating...we could at least be told that our previous port has fallen to the Japanese offensive, you new port of duty will from )Date here) be ........Blah blah....

Deep Six