PDA

View Full Version : Sounds Missing From Sub interior

Adm. Ahab
04-28-07, 01:44 PM
Hello all,

After playing SH4 for a couple of hours I realized the game is not playing certain sounds. Namely the sounds from interior damage (steam & water leak, glass breaking, etc) and tank blowing, flooding. These sounds are in the folder, but they don’t play in game. I can hear the other sounds that are normally audible inside (engines, crew, alarm, peri-click, ships, etc.), but not these. I haven’t had any CTD’s or graphic problems, besides some of the minor bugs listed elsewhere.

First, I must ad that all these sounds work correctly when I play SH3, the problem is only present in SH4. If anyone knows what is the difference with sound between these two maybe we could narrow it down (since SH4 “borrowed” so much from SH3).

I searched the forums and only came up with a couple of posts, without much info. But at least I know I am not the only one having this problem. So I decided to trouble shoot myself.

Here is a list. Step one was repeated throughout.

1)Uninstall/reinstall SH4 (3 times, the last I searched high/low for any file SH4 related) & all patches, with a good reboot and defrag prior to play.

2)Checked sound and volume settings (Creative Console, Windows).

3)Tried playing with the sound accel in dx

4)Adjusted sound settings in game (different sound channels, disables sound/distance)

5)Checked for latest drivers (Gfx card, sound, bios, etc)

6)Poked around in cfg files (in game folder and user folder) nothing of note

7)I tried changing the corresponding sounds volume, in the sh.sdl file, with a hex editor.

8)uninstall/reinstall sound drivers

9)Reinstalled directx and WM 9 codecs from the game CD.

10)Uninstalled Sh3 & starfu*$#! :damn:(getting desperate)

11)Reinstalled windows media player. (Not sure about what gets installed, but I have had this fix sound & video issues before, in Rome: TW which also requires WM 9 codecs).

That was all I can think of at present. I hope someone here can give other ideas as this has ruined the atmosphere of the game considerably. Not everyone seems to be affected by the problem so hopefully there is a workaround.

Also, if there are enough people with this problem, maybe it should go in bug thread.

Suggestions, comments welcome.

My system:
WinXP (build 2002) SP2
C2D E6600 2.4 GHz
EVGA 680i (w/ P27 Bios)
EVGA 7950 GT KO 512MB
2 GB Corsair 6400 (C4 I think)
Creative X-Fi xtreme gamer

Oh, and I don’t have anything overclocked.

AVGWarhawk
04-28-07, 08:22 PM
I hear the breaking glass. I do hear the leaking water. Usually when all this is going on my men are screaming this and that are busted up....end of story. These are about the only two I hear. I get the metal stress noise when submerged and the usuall stuff. My AA gun noise is screwed but I think 1.2 patch did that. Was fine with 1.1.

Does anyone else hear such noises other than what I stated?

U-Bones
04-28-07, 08:34 PM
Since day one, I have not heard dive or crashdive. Also, no matter what file I have for my deck gun, I get this weird sounding like a silenced potato gun noise... I hear the breech, brass and tube but the powder blast just isnt there.

I have chalked it up to XP Pro + SB Audigy SE

Adm. Ahab
04-29-07, 03:39 PM
I hear the sub creaks and the crew calling off damage reports, but not the flooding, pipe cracking etc., like in Sh3 (where I do hear them), the sub is eerily quite when sinking or taking damage.

What I find strange is that SH3 works fine and I don’t have problems with any other game.

AVGWarhawk, just curious what sound card do you have?

Redwine
04-29-07, 04:20 PM
Are you using 4.1 or 5.1 ?

If yes, just make a try with 2.1, adjust in both, windows, and sound card panel, (there is a "sincronize" option into sound card panel, but some times do not works.

Try and comment, may be can help. :up:

AVGWarhawk
04-29-07, 04:25 PM
I hear the sub creaks and the crew calling off damage reports, but not the flooding, pipe cracking etc., like in Sh3 (where I do hear them), the sub is eerily quite when sinking or taking damage.

What I find strange is that SH3 works fine and I don’t have problems with any other game.

AVGWarhawk, just curious what sound card do you have?

Onboard sound my good man! I did mess with the ingame 3D sound slider. At full, my AA just crackles and sounds awful. I reduced this to zero and it sound fine now.

What is your 3D sound set like?

AVGWarhawk
04-29-07, 04:27 PM
Since day one, I have not heard dive or crashdive. Also, no matter what file I have for my deck gun, I get this weird sounding like a silenced potato gun noise... I hear the breech, brass and tube but the powder blast just isnt there.

I have chalked it up to XP Pro + SB Audigy SE

Not yet, sir! Go check your 3D sound slider within the game. Mine at full made the AA just make crackling noises. I set to zero and it is fine now. See what you have going on there and if it helps your ills.

PS, I do hear dive and crash dive. No problem for me there.

pythos
04-29-07, 06:27 PM
I made a post concerning this. I titled it The sound of Silence. I was wondering why I did not hear bolts bursting, or hull screaming as the boat went far beyond crush depth. I see steam bursts out pipes, but no hiss is heard, like in SH3, where if any kind of damage happens to the compressor, or batteries there is a huge amount of noise to be heard.

Ubi, do you hear us?

Monica Lewinsky
04-29-07, 07:27 PM
Ubi, do you hear?LOUDER, can't hear you. :D

Adm. Ahab
05-02-07, 06:56 PM

If yes, just make a try with 2.1, adjust in both, windows, and sound card panel, (there is a "sincronize" option into sound card panel, but some times do not works.

Sorry I didn’t respond earlier (school:roll:).

I am using headphones and the setting is on headphones within the Creative Console.

I have tried changing speaker setup and also different headphones.

I also re-seated my soundcard last night and still no luck.

Oddly, while many players can’t hear the clicks from the TBD/Periscope, I can (Yes, I am using 1.2). Go figure.

Does anyone have any other ideas? If not I would like to submit this to the bug report thread.

First, I will start another thread so we can find out who is missing sounds, and what specs they have (for obvious reasons). I would like to narrow it down as best as possible, so that if there is a patch, it can be addressed more easily.

Vorkapitan
05-02-07, 07:12 PM
HI,

I submitted a post about sound problems..... mine happens after returning from "compressed time".

I lose all engine and ocean sound..environmental sounds.

Is your sound problem happening after "compressed time"?

Joe :damn:

Adm. Ahab
05-05-07, 02:49 AM
HI,

I submitted a post about sound problems..... mine happens after returning from "compressed time".

I lose all engine and ocean sound..environmental sounds.

Is your sound problem happening after "compressed time"?

Joe :damn:

No, it happens no matter what.

I re-read the patch list for 1.2 and there is supposed to be a fix for volume leveling.

I wonder if this has something to do with it. If I exit the game while there is leaking etc, I think I can hear the water rushing for a split second. It could be my imagination though.

Since there are a number of people who have this issue, I am going to create another thread for everyone to post there problem and hardware. The issue might be specific to Creative sound cards.

U-Bones
05-05-07, 08:24 AM
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Missing Dive Alarm
Missing Klaxxon
Missing Watch change
Missing pipes & glass breaking, hull sounfs
deck gun sounds silenced no matter what file i use
The deck gun sound does NOT sound the same in game and in WMP.

Basically I have voices and environmental noise. I am currently not running any mods that touch the sound folder.

No matter what. I also get no sound in the menu until I go into Options, sound.

U-Bones
05-10-07, 11:18 AM

Missing Dive Alarm
Missing Klaxxon
Missing Watch change

Basically I have voices and environmental noise. I am currently not running any mods that touch the sound folder.

I disabled my SB and reverted to on-board RealTek97 - no change. My current opinion is that sound is totally fubar in this game.

FIREWALL
05-10-07, 11:39 AM
EVERY sound everyone has listed works on my game. i have NO ctd .Haven't since I installed it . It's a preorder bonus material version.

It's patched with 1.2 only. Heavily modded [15] useing JSGME only.
I can't see why everyone is haveing so many problems.

If everything else fails ..... KISS!:)

U-Bones
05-10-07, 11:43 AM
EVERY sound everyone has listed works on my game. i have NO ctd .Haven't since I installed it . It's a preorder bonus material version.

Hard to get simpler than no mods touching sound. Your comments would be more helpful if you noted what sound card you have at a minimum. Its helpful to know what is not having problems too.

AVGWarhawk
05-10-07, 11:44 AM

Missing Dive Alarm
Missing Klaxxon
Missing Watch change

I disabled my SB and reverted to on-board RealTek97 - no change. My current opinion is that sound is totally fubar in this game.

Try a total reinstall. Just my suggestion. I hear all but not the water hissing out of the pipes when damaged.

FIREWALL
05-10-07, 12:29 PM

Hard to get simpler than no mods touching sound. Your comments would be more helpful if you noted what sound card you have at a minimum. Its helpful to know what is not having problems too.

Sorry Away from rig takeing a lady friend home this morning. :D

Useing onboard sound on a 3 yo Gigbyte mobo EAI865GT

PS: I go along with AVG as much as it's a pain .:damn:

U-Bones
05-10-07, 12:39 PM

Wow that narrowed it down a bit... hehe

Yeah, I think I have to give reinstall a try. You know, all this mystery "fix by reinstall" simply points to insane behavior - same actions resulting in different results. I am starting to think much of the mystery behavior is caused by the copy protection code, since it enforces legality by imposing insane behavior...

The bits on my install are exactly what they were when I installed and patched. As far as sound goes though - it has never worked for me.

FIREWALL
05-10-07, 12:53 PM

Yeah, I think I have to give reinstall a try. You know, all this mystery "fix by reinstall" simply points to insane behavior - same actions resulting in different results. I am starting to think much of the mystery behavior is caused by the copy protection code, since it enforces legality by imposing insane behavior...

The bits on my install are exactly what they were when I installed and patched. As far as sound goes though - it has never worked for me.

I must be lucky. With SH3 I was always reinstalling and sometimes it wouldn't have ANY sound and would have to do it over. I always use RegCleaner before new install. It's free.:) Let us know what happens.

Redwine
05-10-07, 01:43 PM

Sorry I didn’t respond earlier (school:roll:).

I am using headphones and the setting is on headphones within the Creative Console.

I have tried changing speaker setup and also different headphones.

I also re-seated my soundcard last night and still no luck.

Oddly, while many players can’t hear the clicks from the TBD/Periscope, I can (Yes, I am using 1.2). Go figure.

Does anyone have any other ideas? If not I would like to submit this to the bug report thread.

First, I will start another thread so we can find out who is missing sounds, and what specs they have (for obvious reasons). I would like to narrow it down as best as possible, so that if there is a patch, it can be addressed more easily.
Be sure you change both, windows control to stereo speakers, and X-Fi contol panel to 2.1 too...

Be sure you plug the speakers in the front out into the sound card... i was having same problem and swithcing to 2.1 was solved.

U-Bones
05-10-07, 09:14 PM

RE install and patch 1.2, replaces same mods, started sh4. Bingo. Menu music, klaxxon, etc. I will see how the rest sounds over the course of normal play.

I am -seriously- holding the copy proptection is question here. The number of installs that should result in identical behavior, but do not... is unusual. I know of no other app on my HD that acts differently everytime I install.

Mav87th
05-11-07, 12:24 AM

Missing Dive Alarm
Missing Klaxxon
Missing Watch change

Same card here - no problem. I have 3d sound enabled at max setting

U-Bones
05-11-07, 11:02 PM

RE install and patch 1.2, replaces same mods, started sh4. Bingo. Menu music, klaxxon, etc. I will see how the rest sounds over the course of normal play.

I am -seriously- holding the copy proptection is question here. The number of installs that should result in identical behavior, but do not... is unusual. I know of no other app on my HD that acts differently everytime I install.

OK, copy protection is off the hook on this one. By a fluke, I pinned this down to *something* in My Documents\SH4...

I copied an old set of savefiles back over the fresh install one that had working sound... no sound was back. Swapping tehm back and forth, I can say it is defnately repeatable - whatever was supressing my sounds was contained in My Documents and a reinstall was probably not required.

I spent quite a bit of time looking for "the" thing causing it, with no success so far.

Anyway - for those having sound issues, try renaming My Documents\Sh4 to something else and starting a new save directory.