PDA

View Full Version : Question on use of 5.1 sound

Skipbo
04-28-07, 10:50 AM
I ordered a Logitech 5.1 surround sound speaker system which should arrive next week (Amazon has a good deal on them at the moment plus free S&H) and am running an Audigy SE Soundblaster card currently. I've searched the forums a couple of times, but found very little about SHIV's performance with 5.1 systems. If any of you skippers are running more than 2.1 sound, how would you rate it? Any suggestions for setup? Also, does anyone know if the 1.2 patch fixed the early problem with "realistic sound delays"? Thanks in advance for any help - this forum has been a great resource for me............Skipbo

Redwine
04-28-07, 11:05 AM
I ordered a Logitech 5.1 surround sound speaker system which should arrive next week (Amazon has a good deal on them at the moment plus free S&H) and am running an Audigy SE Soundblaster card currently. I've searched the forums a couple of times, but found very little about SHIV's performance with 5.1 systems. If any of you skippers are running more than 2.1 sound, how would you rate it? Any suggestions for setup? Also, does anyone know if the 1.2 patch fixed the early problem with "realistic sound delays"? Thanks in advance for any help - this forum has been a great resource for me............Skipbo

The main problem with 4.1, 5.1 and beyond is you loss lot of sounds.

All things at your back, at back of you sight direction, are literally lossed.

Stay at 2.1 :up:, plus it will help your performance i think so.

AVGWarhawk
04-28-07, 01:20 PM
I use the Logitech 5.1 speaker system. Concerning the game and all games, I do not put the surround speakers behind me. The central speaker is head height on my desk. I have the two speakers on the sides of my monitor. The sound speaks are on either side of my head at ear hight. They are also about 4 feet from my ears. As far as surround sound play, yes the game does use this function. A example, do you know the steel stressing sound you hear when submerged in your sub? This sound will run from speaker to speaker like it is running the hull of the sub. Airplanes do have a Doppler Effect from one speaker to the others.

Canonicus
04-28-07, 02:18 PM
5.1 audio is actually quite good in SH4 , IMHO

I'm using a Logitech system w/ a Creative Soundblaster X-FI Xtreme gamer card and get nice localization, doppler effects and movements similar to what you have experienced.

Ups the immersion factor quite a bit, i'd say!:up:

Quillan
04-28-07, 03:23 PM
I've had 5.1 sound for a couple of years now, and I absolutely love it in games. It's not quite as important in SH4 than in other games, because you don't normally need the sound clues to figure out what direction the enemy is coming from, but it's still immersion. I go on the bridge while we're on the surface, and I hear diesel rumble coming from the rear speakers (which are behind me in my setup). I can tell which direction planes are in by the sound, also.

Skipbo
04-28-07, 05:18 PM
Excellent information - thanks to each of you. I thought AFTER I ordered the speakers that it would have been a good idea to ask the SubSimmers prior to ordering. Glad that I did not waste my money. Should be nice for listening to music as well. Good to hear that they will be of use in SHIV for sure. The deeper "immersion" will be worth it alone even if they are not especially useful in tactics.

Fearless
04-28-07, 05:42 PM
Yep I use 5.1 surround sound with my AC97 onboard sound and have all speakers spread around my comp room. No probs there especially when destroyers are lookin for me :lol:

AVGWarhawk
04-28-07, 07:30 PM
I failed to mention watching movies with the 5.1 on your computer and a nice LCD is quite nice also.

Watch Saving Private Ryan with the surround is very cool.

Skipbo
04-30-07, 03:50 PM
I appreciate the encouraging reports - looking forward to playing the game in 5.1 sounds. That is, as soon as I build some shelves for speakers...

Quillan
04-30-07, 03:53 PM
Heh. When I got my speakers, I ran down to Wally-World (Wal-Mart) and bought a pair of cheap imitation wood stands for $20. They work, and I don't have to impress anyone with them.

Skipbo
04-30-07, 04:17 PM
I'm into woodworking when I'm not cruising the Pacific Ocean and have LOTS of hardwood which will probably still be here when I'm pushing up flowers so not a problem to build them myself. Gets me away from the computer for a while on nice days too! I think I may have to make a run to Radio Shack (20 mile drive out here in the boondocks) to pick up some extension speaker wires though.