PDA

View Full Version : Bow topedoes went 90 degrees to the right....

Vecna
04-27-07, 08:43 AM
Ok, last night I saw some really weird stuff. Did a few nice calculations for a intercept, ran there and waited for that ohh so lovely one shot kill. I had plenty of time so I set up in a perfectly 90 degree intercept course and turned my periscope 180 degrees for a bow shot.

Ok green light and I put my crosshair right after the smoke stack and what happens? The friggin torpedo goes 90 degrees to the right when I switched to cam to look at it. Ok no panic, open 2nd tube and fire... Great, 2nd bow torpedo goes off in the same direction and blows up something like 0.5-1km away.

I get if they turn for a decoy but 90 degrees?

Btw, how long am I going to be stuck with the porpoise class in the campain? On my 3rd patrol atm...

GnarPow
04-27-07, 08:50 AM
I've had the same issue and I just chalked it up to bad torpedoes. I had it happen once in the same patrol a couple time and my torps went wayyyy off to the side so I just say they are bad torps for my own sanity.

Kant Schwimm
04-27-07, 09:02 AM
Ok, last night I saw some really weird stuff. Did a few nice calculations for a intercept, ran there and waited for that ohh so lovely one shot kill. I had plenty of time so I set up in a perfectly 90 degree intercept course and turned my periscope 180 degrees for a bow shot.

Ok green light and I put my crosshair right after the smoke stack and what happens? The friggin torpedo goes 90 degrees to the right when I switched to cam to look at it. Ok no panic, open 2nd tube and fire... Great, 2nd bow torpedo goes off in the same direction and blows up something like 0.5-1km away.

I get if they turn for a decoy but 90 degrees?

Btw, how long am I going to be stuck with the porpoise class in the campain? On my 3rd patrol atm...

Sounds like you hadnt reset from a previous target, especially since you say your torp found a target, i've done this myself before

SteamWake
04-27-07, 09:37 AM
Did you set the depth on the gyro angle by mistake ? Ive done this a few times myself.

Secondly occassionaly the torps gyro goes nuts but twice in a row ?

As was pointed out earlier you probably dident designate the new target.

Melcar
04-27-07, 10:27 AM
I had plenty of time so I set up in a perfectly 90 degree intercept course and turned my periscope 180 degrees for a bow shot.

If your scope was turned to 180 degrees that would be a Stern shot... 0 is bow. 180 is straight behind you.

SteamWake
04-27-07, 10:29 AM
I had plenty of time so I set up in a perfectly 90 degree intercept course and turned my periscope 180 degrees for a bow shot.

If your scope was turned to 180 degrees that would be a Stern shot... 0 is bow. 180 is straight behind you.

Not if you were looking astern to begin with ;)

Melcar
04-27-07, 10:34 AM
Not if you were looking astern to begin with

Well now it becomes the Question - did he turn his scope "to Bearing 180?" Or "by 180?"

Vecna
04-27-07, 12:02 PM
Did you set the depth on the gyro angle by mistake ? Ive done this a few times myself.

Guess I messed up, umm yeah I didn't change target I guess :doh:

But still, 90 degrees, that's a sweet gyro. It did find a target but what target? It was certainly not a boat because the two that went way off, 90 degrees to be more exact did blow up at different points. Can't estimate meters but lets say if the first blew up at 500 the other would be like 600 or 650.

Guess I did reverse the words in my statement but yeah I did turn my scope to a bearing of 180 :ping:

I have been playing around with manual plus auto shooting. Could it be that I was having auto on and if I set the depth manually all other manual settings will apply too and it will completely ignore any auto targeting what so ever for that session? If so then it explains it all if I was trying to set my depth but ignored the rest because I figured out I had auto on at that time...

As a matter of fact I think I changed my depth and clicked to store the settings (white button pressed so it turns red that is). This will explain it all if what I said above is true

Quillan
04-27-07, 12:11 PM
The US subs could fire torpedoes at gyroangles of something like 135°, I believe. Whether you're using manual or auto targeting, the game procedure is the same. You select a tube, whether front or rear. The game takes the input values for range to target, speed of target, and AOB (from which it determines the target's course) and calculates what heading the torpedo has to take in order to hit. The fish is fired straight out from the tube, makes a turn to the proper course, and then runs straight from that point. So, if your bow is pointing at the target and you have a stern tube selected, it would have to turn well beyond 90° in order to hit. In this case, if you had a bow tube selected but the stern pointing at the target, the same thing would happen.

Kant Schwimm
04-27-07, 12:36 PM

Guess I messed up, umm yeah I didn't change target I guess :doh:

But still, 90 degrees, that's a sweet gyro. It did find a target but what target? It was certainly not a boat because the two that went way off, 90 degrees to be more exact did blow up at different points. Can't estimate meters but lets say if the first blew up at 500 the other would be like 600 or 650.

Guess I did reverse the words in my statement but yeah I did turn my scope to a bearing of 180 :ping:

I have been playing around with manual plus auto shooting. Could it be that I was having auto on and if I set the depth manually all other manual settings will apply too and it will completely ignore any auto targeting what so ever for that session? If so then it explains it all if I was trying to set my depth but ignored the rest because I figured out I had auto on at that time...

As a matter of fact I think I changed my depth and clicked to store the settings (white button pressed so it turns red that is). This will explain it all if what I said above is true

Yup that would be it, I think clicking it whilst it white on a target resets all....maybe..anyone..:hmm:

NefariousKoel
04-27-07, 01:04 PM
Clicking that white button and turning it red sets the TDC tracker to the target you have lined up in your sights.

So.. whatever target he pointed at and flipped the tracker on.. was the one that was locked in the TDC and even though he was aiming at a different target, the solution was still tracking the previous target and fired on that solution.

WARNING: If you change targets, turn the tracker off before inputting a solution on a new target unless you plan to shoot at the earlier one while looking elsewhere.