PDA

View Full Version : Bow planes again...

Slick Rick
04-27-07, 07:33 AM
Well....I know I have posted about this earlier...but before I thought I had sustained damage that was incidental.....now I know it is not the case....I had just left Pearl and was doing a few practice dives and the bow planes got stuck the second time around....not only that but it seems that they DO affect my diving time....Has anyone ever timed the difference in diving time from ordering Periscope depth and Crash dive...? What was the difference in time for a Gato to get under as opposed to a Type VII....anyone know?? Its to the point where I get a "aircraft spotted long range" report and I cant get under before they are on me even when crash diving.....I dont know what to think.....

SteamWake
04-27-07, 08:20 AM
Ever notice the difference in ships speed when ordering crash dive :hmm:

I think the bow planes are purely asthetic. But thats just me.

Quillan
04-27-07, 08:27 AM
My bow planes got stuck up on my way back in from my last patrol. It didn't make any difference, and I did time it. A crash dive after running surfaced for 2 days straight (aircraft sighting) took 1:05 to reach 60 feet from the time the order was given and the claxon sounded. A crash dive after a battle surface (sank a ship with the deck gun off Japan in broad daylight) took 30 seconds. Both times we were at battle stations; I wanted to see if that had any effect, and I could see none. However, my engine compartment pretty much runs at 100% efficiency all the time, too.

GnarPow
04-27-07, 08:38 AM
GFX error, let it go... Stop looking at them and they wont matter ;)

Slick Rick
04-27-07, 10:19 AM
Ever notice the difference in ships speed when ordering crash dive :hmm:

I think the bow planes are purely asthetic. But thats just me. Yes...I always order flank speed when going under regardless....so that is not an issue

SteamWake
04-27-07, 02:02 PM
The only thing affecting dive time other than ship speed seems to be the amount of time that has passed since the previous dive. The less time the faster it dives.

Why that is I dont know I suppose it is because the ballast tanks are not completly empty.

I might add that once submerged that crash dive reaches depth quicker than normal dive.

SUBMAN1
04-27-07, 02:14 PM
I think it simply has to do with reloading a save game that was saved while submerged. If you save your game on the surface and then reload it - the planes work again. Loading while submerged and the planes will be broken. Since I never really load saved games that are in the middle of a patrol (Or rarely), my planes never seem to be stuck.

-S

SteamWake
04-27-07, 02:24 PM
Since I never really load saved games that are in the middle of a patrol (Or rarely), my planes never seem to be stuck.

-S

You sir are a brave man ;)

Or have a lot of time (compression) on you hands. It takes me at least two days to complete a patrol.

swash
04-27-07, 03:51 PM
I was wondering if others were getting this glitch. Looks like a animation error. I've seen no impact to the boat's dive performance or underwater maneuverability from the bowplanes getting stuck.

If I only use crash dive to submerge, the bowplanes continue to animate, however using P for periscope depth or if I manually click the depth dial to dive, that seems to trigger them getting stuck sometimes. Seems to be hit and miss as to when it happens.

Scoochy
04-27-07, 04:00 PM
The only thing affecting dive time other than ship speed seems to be the amount of time that has passed since the previous dive. The less time the faster it dives.

Why that is I dont know I suppose it is because the ballast tanks are not completly empty.

I might add that once submerged that crash dive reaches depth quicker than normal dive.

After reading up on what all the sub had to do to prepare for the dive, this probably makes sense. Not just in reference to the ballast takes, but also to the most of the systems/valves/hatches that need to be secured or set prior to actually submerging. The fantastic DoD Submarine Doctine that has been posted gave me great insight on wat is actually going on for the dive.

Would have been a great opportunity for UBi to also use many of this to indicate that this stuff is actually happening for the dive, vice the simplistic pre-dive klaxon and down you go.