PDA

View Full Version : Sub changes depth too fast??

Karl-Heinz Jaeger
04-26-07, 10:16 PM
Is it just me or do the US subs in SHIV alter depth rather more speedily than their German SHIII counterparts? I don't mean diving from the surface, but say from 100 feet to PD at 60ft. Maybe I'm just not used to dealing in feet instead of familiar metres, anyone else feel the same?

Fearless
04-26-07, 11:00 PM
That's it. It's getting used to the imperial settings compared to the Metric counterpart.

From 100 feet to 60 feet is not much in depth.

WernerSobe
04-27-07, 08:23 AM
even using imperial system sh4 subs seem to change depth indeed faster. However diving from surface takes longer. I was fully submurged in about 30-35 seconds in sh3. In sh4 i need aver 1 min. That is modeled correctly, from books i know german subs where good at diving away fast and diving very deep (compared to other subs which include the US ones). Once submurged US subs in sh4 seem to change depth faster. I havent found any information about vertical speeds for real US Subs.

Sailor Steve
04-27-07, 10:48 AM
That's it. It's getting used to the imperial settings compared to the Metric counterpart.

From 100 feet to 60 feet is not much in depth.
Exactly. That's only a 40-foot change, which is about 12 meters.

Quillan
04-27-07, 10:53 AM
I agree with the original poster. Even though it is a different measurement system, I still feel the fleet boats are more responsive (in everything but dive time) than the U-boats of SH3. I certain feel I can change depth and maneuver more quickly, although this may well be due to a slightly higher default speed. My Gato runs at 4 knots submerged at Ahead 1/3, which I expect can make a difference.

nattydread
04-27-07, 12:01 PM
I cant remember if the U-boats used comparable methods for filling and blowing the ballasts. Now keep in mind this is totally subjective, i have no real basis to back it up, but I cant help but feel in my readings that the pumps and blowers where much more substantial in US boats because the skippers made reference to them a lot. It was like they couldnt help but notice them when operating.

Now i know U-boats had these pumps and blowers, but US boats seemed to operate like US V8s, big, loud and powerful, while U-Boats had high-end 6 cylinder, highly tuned, quiet models of efficiency. Both did the job but were better and worth in some areas compared to the other.

I remember references to US boats and their blowers seemingly willing the sub to ride exeptionally high in the water to squeeze out every inch of height to allow for greater area scans and ranges. The skipper who talk about the deafing howl and whirl as they blew the ballast dry as a bone.

If you didnt care so much about running silent, i'd assume those pumps and blowers could certainly help in increasing rate of depth.

Once again, this is purely subjective.