PDA

View Full Version : Nasty CTD

AVGWarhawk
04-26-07, 08:31 PM
So there I am, 1/2 hour into my patrol. Sunk a few. I'm busy looking at the map and all function stops. Nothing that I press works. I CTD and to my surprise........

The stinking UBI 7 day reminder to register the game fired up while I was playing:roll:. There is was, just as pretty as could be. Talk about a bug:rotfl:

This needs correcting in patch 1.3 or maybe I'll just register;)

John Channing
04-26-07, 08:32 PM
The devs are aware of this bug and recommend you register your software!

JCC

Ducimus
04-26-07, 08:38 PM
My solution was to select the "never regester" option after reinstalling the program. :88)

Popup's what popups? I dont have no stinking popups!

tater
04-26-07, 08:50 PM
I've been CTDed and BSODed by that stupid screen as well. I better check "never register." Crap like that has the exact opposite effect of what they desire, I will militantly not register it. Any they wonder why people who own legit cvopies want things like no-CD cracks.

Maybe if they shipped a product that wasn;t grossly broken I'd be more forgiving. Maybe.

Grrr.

tater

oritpro
04-26-07, 08:56 PM
So there I am, 1/2 hour into my patrol. Sunk a few. I'm busy looking at the map and all function stops. Nothing that I press works. I CTD and to my surprise........

The stinking UBI 7 day reminder to register the game fired up while I was playing:roll:. There is was, just as pretty as could be. Talk about a bug:rotfl:

This needs correcting in patch 1.3 or maybe I'll just register;)

Yep, that happened to me too. I promptly removed reg program from my hard drive and haven't had a problem since :)

Ducimus
04-26-07, 08:57 PM
I've been CTDed and BSODed by that stupid screen as well. I better check "never register." Crap like that has the exact opposite effect of what they desire, I will militantly not register it. Any they wonder why people who own legit cvopies want things like no-CD cracks.

Sad thing for me, i've acutally bought the game twice.

First time was digital D/L caues i got impatient. And then as luck would have it, my wife scored one for me AFTER the fact at an EB games. :roll:

My only hope is that after all the patching is done, i can make myself a totaly legit no CD "patch" of sorts with the digital D/L files in the sh4 root directory, and use the CD for the games raw resources. Cause im not keeping that 3-4 GIG digital D/L installer on my hard drive forever. This game has cost me 110 bucks. I should have gotten a collectors edition or something, bah!

SteamWake
04-26-07, 08:59 PM
The devs are aware of this bug and recommend you register your software!

JCC

LOL either that or select "never" !

ooops :oops:

Capt. Shark Bait
04-26-07, 10:08 PM
i just CTD'd:x . on my way into Surabaya to refit/resupply after 4hrs of sinking freighters, some of which were phantoms, and there i am, staring at SH4 needs to send an error message:damn: . i hope this is something that the devs can/will fix. now i gotta start from the last save, which is where i started from 4hrs ago:damn:

Cap'n Crabs
04-26-07, 10:24 PM
I was put through the wringer the other night. I shut off a couple of ATI services that I felt didn't need to be running, like "hot key poller".
I go to play the game, I load up my save, get to the "please wait" screen, then get the same message Shark Bait got. The game kept crashing just as it was about to get in the saved mission. I could not believe those services would crash my game. Tried restarting them but made no difference. I thought well, I'll try re-installing the ati drivers, crash... re-run 1.2 patch, crash... repair install, patch, crash... AHHHHH!!! :damn:
Finally loaded an earlier save, works.... had a corrupt save. :shifty:

Avgwarhawk, I'm not sure, but I found a register reminder in my windows startup folder. What I don't remember is if it was for the game or my turbo tax. hehe

Condor96
04-27-07, 12:31 AM
I think everyone who has registered should file a class action lawsuit for a refund+ pain and suffering

Herr Kapitan
04-27-07, 04:34 AM
I think everyone who has registered should file a class action lawsuit for a refund+ pain and suffering

now now, you will get your self in trouble talking like that.

John Channing
04-27-07, 06:07 AM
No.. you are just insuring that Silent Hunter 4 will be the last Sub-sim.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=113345

And on behalf of the people who enjoy the hobby I would just like to say thanks.

JCC

AVGWarhawk
04-27-07, 07:54 AM
Gents, it was just a matter of clicking never register.;) I got more worm intrusions during my game play that Norton detects than anything. I now turn off the internet when playing games that do not require the net.:smug:

SteamWake
04-27-07, 08:19 AM
I thought Id just chime in and counter the "This game always CTD I want my money back" posts.

Look inward perhaps.

I have not had one single solitary CTD not one !

GnarPow
04-27-07, 08:36 AM
My worst CTD problem is going from Periscope to the Campaign Map and I think it is only because my FPS drops crazy low and it crashes for some reason.

My advice is get multiple save files and save constantly... Maybe every 15-20 minutes. it only takes 20 seconds and saves you a bunch of trouble if you do CTD.

I put my 2 cents into that post by the DEV and I think you guys should read it. Every game has problems its just a matter of how they deal with it after the fact.

Cap'n Crabs
04-27-07, 08:51 AM
Gentlemen, I just want to make it clear on my part, I am enjoying the game a great deal. Fortunately, I'm not having a lot of unbearable problems.
My post was merely a reflective "Doh!". I should have tried a different save from the start. I could have spared myself a lot of trouble.
If anyone thinks I meant it any other way, my apologies.
Crashes happen, if I can't work through them, I need to stop being a computer tech. :)
I've got bigger problems than worrying over a piece of software.
(i'm only speaking for myself, other peoples issues aside)

Herr Kapitan
04-27-07, 09:04 AM
My worst CTD problem is going from Periscope to the Campaign Map and I think it is only because my FPS drops crazy low and it crashes for some reason.

My advice is get multiple save files and save constantly... Maybe every 15-20 minutes. it only takes 20 seconds and saves you a bunch of trouble if you do CTD.

I put my 2 cents into that post by the DEV and I think you guys should read it. Every game has problems its just a matter of how they deal with it after the fact.
Hardly surprising that problems exist because there is no way the game was playtested properly. Not blaming the Devs for that by the way.