PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft defense in an S Class

SUBMAN1
04-25-07, 01:38 PM
How do I get someone to man the 50 cals to shoot down some aircraft with an S-class? I have the quad 50's on the boat, but I can't use them - with either crew or to try manually!

A bug?

-S

fire-fox
04-25-07, 01:43 PM
Quad .50's !!!? i didnt now thay did those on the s-boat

Grunt
04-25-07, 02:00 PM
"RUN AWAY!" - Monty Python

starbird
04-25-07, 02:14 PM
I wonder if its related to the bug I have, where I added a 4"/50 to the bow of my porpoise, and now there are no slots in the crew screen to let me man it.

I can still main it myself.

SUBMAN1
04-25-07, 02:26 PM
I wonder if its related to the bug I have, where I added a 4"/50 to the bow of my porpoise, and now there are no slots in the crew screen to let me man it.

I can still main it myself.

At least you can man yours. I can't even man the position, and it is rather annoying not being able to shoot back! I never tried leaving it at the default of only 2 (or was it 3?).

Grunt
04-25-07, 02:42 PM
I have the same problem, save the game before you make any deck gun changes!

If this "undocumented feature" rears its head, just reload the save.

I have also found that mounting a deck gun behind the conning tower starts this bug, so try to leave the deck gun on the fore.

SUBMAN1
04-25-07, 02:55 PM
I have the same problem, save the game before you make any deck gun changes!

If this "undocumented feature" rears its head, just reload the save.

I have also found that mounting a deck gun behind the conning tower starts this bug, so try to leave the deck gun on the fore.

I haven't changed the placement of my deck gun, so I guess something else is causing it. Besides, I like to motor towards my target when using the deck gun and a deck gun behind the conning tower would be inconvenient to me! :D

akdavis
04-25-07, 05:05 PM
lol, that ain't "quad fifties." It's an older 4-inch naval gun with a 50 calibre barrel length (i.e. the barrel is 50 times the diameter in length).

panthercules
04-25-07, 09:53 PM
lol, that ain't "quad fifties." It's an older 4-inch naval gun with a 50 calibre barrel length (i.e. the barrel is 50 times the diameter in length).

LOL - I was wondering what this poster was referring to - on my S-boat I don't have any AA guns (just the 4"/50cal deck gun you refer to above), but I'm fresh out on my first patrol with a non-upgraded S-boat so I thought maybe he was talking about some later beefed up version.

One odd thing I've noticed though - on my S-boat, with no AA guns, my "man the AA guns" button stays green/pressed all the time when surfaced for some reason, even when I try to press it to turn it back off - wishful thinking I guess :lol:

MadMike
04-25-07, 10:19 PM
Some early war S-boat's were equipped with Thompson submachine guns, Lewis guns, and BAR's. They were later refit with M2 .50's and 20mm.

Yours, Mike

NEON DEON
04-25-07, 10:36 PM
The only quad fifties I could find were mounted on half track.

They look quite intimidating

http://img483.imageshack.us/img483/1315/turretelevcn3.jpg

This is a great picture of manned twin fifties on a PT boat.

http://img483.imageshack.us/img483/4403/ww257ba5.jpg

nattydread
04-26-07, 12:28 AM
There is only one fail safe defense against aircraft, dont get spotted, your next best thing is to dive. Only use the guns to spoil their bombing run as you wait for the piggier boats to get there asses under the waves.