PDA

View Full Version : Silent Hunter 4 Mafia! [Introduction, rules, and enlistment]

Safe-Keeper
04-24-07, 06:30 PM
The USS Longbow is about to embark from Pearl Harbour, eager to avenge the atrocious sneak attack by the Imperial Japense Navy. The crew, young Americans shocked by the sudden declaration of war - are eager to prove themselves, and their homeland, by bringing the Longbow to bear against Japanese shipping. Orders will be opened and read, and the boat will head West, away from friendly forces.

But it is not the naval and aerial might of Yamamoto who will test the Longbow - the threat is confined within the vessel's pressure hull with the hopeful young teens and officers: The Longbow has been infiltrated by a team of crack Japanese special forces, indistinguishable from their mates and experts in killing silently in the dead of night. One by one, night after night, they will strike again and again until defeated. Their goal is to slay the entire American crew and capture the Longbow for Japan. Cut off from friendly aid, the Americans' only chance is to expose the assassins and kill them before they succeed in their grisly mission...
Introduction
To celebrate my getting of Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific, I hereby invite the SH4 community to a session of forum mafia with a Pacific WWII theme. As long as I manage to stick to this commitment, this should be fun indeed.

Note to moderators: I tried to PM regarding permission to post this in the SH4 forum, rather than in the General forum, but the forum engine acted up and didn't let me send the PM, so, lazily, I gave it up. Sorry. Move thread if you feel like it.
Preparations and how to enlist for duty on the USS Longbow:
Firstly, you need to register in this thread. The header of your registration post should be 'ENLISTING!' and the post should have the 'http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/images/icons/icon4.gif' icon. You need to specify if you feel comfortable playing as a Special Character (see below). Once enough players have registered (I think a dozen will be about right), I will distribute roles by PM and we will then start playing.How to play mafia:
The turn-based game of Mafia will begin at night-time. The assassins, half as many as the loyal crewmen, will communicate by PM or by some other method, and agree on who to kill. Night will last for 48-72 hours, give or take. No agreement by then means no kill.

Come morning, all players, 'bad guys included', need to decide, publicly, on who to kill. 50% of the players need to agree before a lynching happens. A decision has to be made withing about 72 hours.

Once a lynching has been made, night falls once again. From hereon, the insomniacs will become active. One of them can shield a person of his choice from being killed by the assassins and murderous insomniac. The other can kill a person of his choice. Both are on the 'regulary Americans'' side.

Additionally, the Detective, come day-time, will be able to identify the role of a person of his choice every day. It's up to the detective if he wants to stay covert and only act on his findings himself, or if he wants to 'go public'.

The game will continue until either all Japanese or all Crewman and Special Characters are dead, or until victory is impossible for one side.

The Mafia Wiki (http://www.mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie_Guide) has additional information. You can of course also ask questions here!Primary roles:
These are the basic roles of the game. They will, like the Special Roles, be randomly distributed among the players. Original names in parentheses.

Crewman (townie): Loyal crewman. Has the collective ability, along with the Assassins, of lynching one person of their choice during daytime.
Assassin (mafia): Have the collective ability to kill one crewman each night. Each night, they need to discuss their kill with each others and reach an agreement. Come morning, they'll blend with the regular crewmen and decide who to lynch.Special roles:These are the additional roles of the game, added to make the session more interesting. First-time players are recommended, but not required, to opt out of playing as a special character due to the added challenge their roles present. Original names in parentheses.

Reincarnated Ace Detective (detective): An ace investigator in his previous life, this sailor can identify the role of a person of his choice every night. He needs not disclose his identity or the results of his investigations, but can do so during day-time if he so desires.
Defensive insomniac (doctor): Can protect a person of his choice from getting killed every night.
Murderous insomniac (vigilante): Can slay a person of his choice every night.Addenda (important!:know:):

Once a person has been killed, you will instantly know his role.
If you think you'll be unable to post, please let us know.
Do not claim to be the Reincarnated Ace Detective unless you actually are him.
Vote and unvote with bold-faced fonts: 'VOTE: Player X'. If you've voted and want to chance your mind, you must unvote the player you voted for: 'UNVOTE: Player X'. You don't have to follow this template, but your votes and 'unvotes' have to be in bold face.
Mafia is a game of Dead-is-dead:p. If you get killed, you are to completely stop posting in the mafia thread. You're also forbidden from sending Private Messages to other players. You're also forbidden from posting about the mafia session in other threads around the board. In short, dead men don't talk. There are no ouji boards, mediums, or hastily scribbled and revealing notes written by the victim seconds before his death. Once you die, you lose the ability to contribute.
Sleeping men don't talk either (well, most don't;)) - only the Assassins can communicate during night-time, and then only by PM. Everyone else are to be quiet, save from when asking rule-related questions or, in the case of Special Characters, telling the Game Moderator who their target is.
It's strictly prohibited to quote Private Messages, especially from the Game Moderator (me). Anyone going 'OMG [...] is an Assassin, look what Safe-Keeper wrote in his PM to me!' will be instantly killed and removed from the game.I won't ask the moderators to enforce these rules by reading PMs or editing/deleting posts, but I will punish players myself when they step out of line. Serious offenders will lose their ability to vote, or be killed outright.

Safe-Keeper
04-24-07, 07:00 PM
Normally these threads get enough mafiosos in five minutes to hijack the whole country. Too long introduction post:p?

DragonRR1
04-24-07, 07:03 PM
Well.. perhaps a tad :)

I will carry on reading tomorrow it's about 1am here :o

Safe-Keeper
04-24-07, 07:28 PM
2 here. 2:07, in fact. I'm sure we'll see some more people tomorrow.

You may not see me, though, I've got a long school day, including a meeting down at the hospital ahead of me.

wireman
04-24-07, 07:38 PM
Hospital? Bad case of the Scratch? Typical sailor.

Safe-Keeper
04-24-07, 08:05 PM
Red Cross volunteering. Nyah.

Let's cut the chatter and get this going. Come on people, y'all need a bit of intrigue in your lives!

boadle
04-27-07, 07:44 AM
So... who's winning?

wireman
05-07-07, 06:26 PM
No such thing as the mafia.

SteamWake
05-07-07, 07:18 PM
Normally these threads get enough mafiosos in five minutes to hijack the whole country. Too long introduction post:p?

Little hard to read too.

DiveMonkey
05-07-07, 07:36 PM
LOL! sounds like "Survivor" mafia style :rotfl:

GoldenEagle8
05-07-07, 07:59 PM
OH! I like this game! I've played the card version of it with my school band before!:yep:

I'd like to play.:up:

wireman
05-16-07, 02:44 PM
well?

bruschi sauro
05-16-07, 02:53 PM
This forum is for support the patch 1.03 for Silent Hunter 4..:yep:
not for a baby game:nope: ..

Sailor Steve
05-16-07, 07:15 PM
No, the forum is titled Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific. It is for any and all threads, posts and ideas relating to that game. Safe-Keeper is a long-time and respected member here. If he wants to try something silly, more power to him. He's not hurting anything.