PDA

View Full Version : April 25th - ANZAC Day

Aisdad
04-24-07, 06:29 PM
It is the 25th of April here in OZ and a public holiday in both Australia and New Zealand as we commemerate the 92nd aniversary of the landing of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps units at ANZAC Cove, Gallipoli on the Dardanelles Penisula at dawn on 25th April 1915. The offensive was designed by Winston Churchill (First Sea Lord of the Admiralty) to force the Dardanelles and open a supply route to Russia by sea. The offensive also included British and other Commonwealth forces at Suvla Bay and Cape Hellas. Ultimately, the offensive proved futile (as did many) with needless sacrifice in attacking in terrain that was totally unsuitable and poorly planned.

During the First World War Australia had 2 submarines in service, the AE1 and AE2. The AE1 was lost off New Guinea and is believed to be due to equipment failure. The AE2 served in South Pacific waters until being ordered to join a British Squadron in support of the Gallipoli campaign. In April 1915, only hours before the historic landings on the Gallipoli peninsula, 'AE2' was ordered to attempt what was to become the first successful passage through the Dardanelles, a narrow and treacherous stretch of sea. After successfully penetrating the Dardanelles, 'AE2', sank a Turkish cruiser and for six days harassed the enemy in the Sea of Marmora before being sunk. Her crew was captured and imprisoned in Turkey as Prisoners of War (http://www.navy.gov.au/history/subhistory.html).

This campaign has left an indelible mark upon the psyche of Australia and New Zealand and is considered by many to be the true birth of Australia as a nation.

Australia did not have any submarines in service during the Second World War but we did provide a safe haven for our American allies.

As a former member of the Australian Army who was fortunate enough to have not been required to fight a battle, I have only the vaguest imagination of the sacrifices that were made by our servicemen and women in all conflicts.

I salute those who have served, or are serving for the protection of their freedom and right to live in peace.

"Lest We Forget".

Safe-Keeper
04-24-07, 06:32 PM
Good show, Aussies.

Iceberg
04-24-07, 06:46 PM
... the 112th aniversary of the landing of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps units at ANZAC Cove, Gallipoli on the Dardanelles Penisula at dawn on 25th April 1915. ...

I knew you people were already on april 25th but I didn't know it was april 25th 2027!;)

Talk about jet lag!! :rotfl:

Joke aside! I raise my glass to Australia and Zew Zealand.

IRONxMortlock
04-24-07, 06:47 PM
Yes, it is a special day for all Australians. I'm just about to head down to the RSL and join some of the old diggers for a beer or two (or five:p ).

(BTW, I don't believe this is the 112th anniversary though. The landings at Gallipolli occured in 1915. :know:)
________
ReineLatin cam (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/ReineLatin)

Aisdad
04-24-07, 06:51 PM
My bad, Half asleep. I was up for the dawn service after a late night. Have corrected.

pccitgo99
04-24-07, 07:05 PM
A special day as we remember events long gone. Amazingly numbers at the dawn services are growing. Especially young children, some wearing the medals of relatives who served but have now passed away. When they mentioned this morning at the Browns Bay parade in Auckland that we also commemorate our allies I could not help but think of those submariners now on eternal patrol, some of whom left ports in Australia never to return.

GT182
04-24-07, 07:49 PM
~S!~ to all our friends down under for their Anzac Day. :up:

And it's also my wife's birthday.