PDA

View Full Version : okay is this a bug or not ?

9th_cow
04-24-07, 03:41 PM
okies, i wont go into details because it will take forever, but im heading home in a damaged sub after the best mission i ever played in any game.
perhaps the most exciting 3 hours ive experienced in any game ever.

and i run into a problem there is a channel ( up near tokyo i beleive) and i need to make my way out.
ok shouldnt be too hard as long as i avoid detection. i got in after all.

and there in the problem lies, i got caught with a convoy behind me and a task force infront. will make getting out hard. ( but it isnt the 20+ destoyers in this area that actually stop me getting out, they all behave)

so never mind run deep run slow. ease past them.
well, and this is where the strange thing happens.

come morning im half way through, i avoid detection. then at 6:41 it happens ( 30+ attempts from my save game taken at night time all produce the same result)
a destroyer spawns several miles behind me in shallow waters, and no matter where i am or what im doing, it makes a beeline for me. ive even gone back the way i came instead of heading south. to see if i can avoid triggering it. i cant.
regardless of manouevers or depth, it takes out my screws automatically, then circles back to finish me off.

ive tried about 34 times now. and every time as soon as it spawns on the horizon, it tears towards me no matter where ive manouevered too, and bang, game over.

needless to say having the best game i ever played ruined by this had me close to throwing it in the bin. death is unavoidable and the whole incredible, exciting, and intense mission is ruined.

now what the heck causes this ? is this some sort of feature ? maybe the emperor truly is a god, and has the ability to summon ships manned by sorcerors ?

is it copy protection ?

is it a bug ?
it would be bad enough if it happened normally. but after such an incredible mission,. its ruined my spirit, playing my next hollow career now till bugs break it too.
but is it even a bug ? or is this some "great" feature.
maybe a super wizard destroyer ambush or something. would explain how it spawns at that exact time, out of range of every thing except radar, and zooms at me ( often in reverse) and kills me instantly. who needs sonar when you have amazing powers of the mind.

ok so im a little pissed off, but seriously, from amazing to godawfull and infuriating in a heartbeat is pretty infuriating funnily enough.
seriously ive nothing against dying in a good mission. ive wrote of some 20 careers already due to that, i make a mistake or get surprised, so be it.

but ive never gone through such a wonderfull mission or patched up my sub after so much damage, i want to see what happens when i get to port, so i thought, ill cheat and reload it. mainly as i didnt know how a sub hidden and silent at the bottom of the sea would be found, when it hadnt been in combat for 3 days or so.
and after some 8 attempts or so i noticed this damn destroyer that wont stop killing me litterally spawn near an island, reverse to my possition ( nothing had detected me) and bang, screws bust. game over.
repeat, repeat, repeat. over and over.

i had to stop in the end or i would have thrown the game out.
btw using 1.2 no mods. clean install.
and indeed original too, no cracks

it hasnt helped in a way because its been around 14 careers now, that all ended when something went funny and i gave up on it.

Is this game picking on me :) i have the most amazing missions, then they all go down the drain due to some weird stuff happening.

well im off to mourn the loss of the kind of mission they would make a movie about..

AVGWarhawk
04-24-07, 03:46 PM
Not a bug that I'm aware of. Apparently there are rookie, good and veteran DD. Sounds like you got the veteran DD. Sorry for a bad ending. I have been there many times:oops: In essence, it is a mixed bag of what you are going to get pertaining to DD behavior.

Quillan
04-24-07, 03:46 PM
It doesn't sound like a bug to me. If you've ever used the editor for SH3 or 4, then it's probably a coastal defense boat. The way they are scripted is that every so often, one (or one group whose composition is determined randomly within parameters) spawns at a set point. Then it heads off to it's next waypoint (which is preset, but has a certain area within which it is randomized) and continues until it reaches the end of the path, where it despawns. At the next time interval another one spawns. It sounds like you arne't triggering anything, it's just spawning at the correct time.

Now as to it beelining for you, I don't know about that. It might be automatically aware of any enemy vessel within sensor range (visual, hydrophone or radar as appropriate) when it spawns. Have you tried heading back in slightly to see what it does?

9th_cow
04-24-07, 03:51 PM
im limited as to my heading options due to having a convoy behind and task force infront,i would most likely avoid the sod if i could get thru the convoy behind me, but in 44 thats not easy.
closest i came to getting past him was indeed making for the convoy, but with 6 destoyers, and in shallow waters it is too tough.

i suppose thats the real problem, there is indeed deep water. i sat in the bottom, and let the convoy and task force pass me by.
and it works!
but that damn thing spawns north of me, and knows im there.

maybe its indeed something like auto detect on spawn.

its a damn shame though.