PDA

View Full Version : HP about to offer cheaper ink

Skybird
04-24-07, 05:11 AM
German: http://www.welt.de/webwelt/article830293/Der_Siegeszug_der_Billigtinten.html

Not more than a signal. The article says that HP is reacting to most customers using not the expensive original HP ink cartridges, but are using refills and cheaper cartridges by foreign companies. A satistic says 4 out of 5 customers do not use original inks. the new cartridges will cost less than 10 euros.

Well, I have a Canon Pixma 5200, five cartridges. I pay one euro for each of them (shipping included). The little effort to cut out the chip and glue it on the new cartridge I accept. Depending on where I would buy, orginal cartridges cost 13-17 euros.

I wonder if HP will gain as much from their initiative as they hope.

Heibges
04-24-07, 01:23 PM
I used to sell Office Supplies, and the profit margin on those ink cartridges is off the hook.

NEON DEON
04-24-07, 01:30 PM
I used to sell Office Supplies, and the profit margin on those ink cartridges is off the hook.

Me too.

I used to work for PC MALL and no money would be made off the printer but the mark up on ink cartridges was amazing.

Skybird
04-24-07, 02:05 PM
"off the hook" means the margin is very wide or very narrow? Sorry, English is foreign language for me. I assume you mean a wide margin.

August
04-24-07, 02:15 PM
I used to sell Office Supplies, and the profit margin on those ink cartridges is off the hook. "off the hook" means the margin is very wide or very narrow? Sorry, English is foreign language for me. I assume you mean a wide margin.

Yes, wide margin as in "way over the top".

Subsim Monitor
04-24-07, 05:49 PM
Yay! Glad to hear it, I am at the point where I buy a new printer when the ink runs out in the old one. :dead:

Heibges
04-24-07, 06:28 PM
There was a time I remember when if you bought this printer for $60 you got two free ink cartridges so it actually was cheaper to buy a new printer than replace the cartridges.

fatty
04-24-07, 07:42 PM
I used to work in the ink industry, refilling printer cartridges in a mall kiosk. These guys are definitely following the "Gillette" model - give away the razor, make money on the blades. The sneakiest trick is that most cartridges that are included with new printers are only filled to half (sometimes less) capacity. The majority of these half-filled ones can't be filled more; the sponges inside are just that small.

This resulted in many, many disappointed customers for me.