PDA

View Full Version : Refueling problem

ProV1
04-23-07, 10:28 AM
I went on a long patrol and was low on fuel. I stopped at several ports marked in Blue to refuel but nothing happened. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

SteamWake
04-23-07, 10:32 AM
the "ports" have to have the anchor icon at them otherwise fuel is not available.

One of the first thing you learn in SH4 is to be really really stingy with fuel.

It might take you a month to sail to Japan at 4 knots but at least you will have fuel to get back.

Its a shame they dont have tenders in the game.

FIREWALL
04-23-07, 10:35 AM
Hi Guys

Is this something that can be modded into the game ?

SteamWake
04-23-07, 10:40 AM
Tenders ?

Possibly (shrug) there was a work around in SH3 for the "Milch Kows".

FIREWALL
04-23-07, 10:59 AM
Tenders ?

Possibly (shrug) there was a work around in SH3 for the "Milch Kows".

Great gameplay feature.:up:

ProV1
04-23-07, 11:02 AM
Thanks, that was what I had surmised but just wanted to check.

SteamWake
04-23-07, 11:33 AM
One tip that helps a bit is to stop at Marshal on your way out to top off.

But yes that slogging it out at ahead 1/3 for weeks / months just to get where your going gets old.

Almost makes me want to forget "limited fuel".

Tenders are sorely needed.

9th_cow
04-23-07, 02:29 PM
they have "tenders" in 44, maybe in 43 too.
its a blue and white striped icon as opposed to just dark blue.
i find it strange none apear before 43, but perhaps they didnt opperate then

btw by tender you do mean a ship as opposed to a harbour right ? they dont have "milkcows" but they do have boats that do the same job.
you can fair zip about in 44, because your never far away from a refuel and rearm.

Fat Bhoy Tim
04-23-07, 02:32 PM
Does anyone know for sure if 1/3 gives better economy than 2/3, I know it did in stock SH3 but GWX corrected it.

SteamWake
04-23-07, 02:36 PM
Does anyone know for sure if 1/3 gives better economy than 2/3, I know it did in stock SH3 but GWX corrected it.

Absolutley in fact running at 10 knots will give you even greater range.

SteamWake
04-23-07, 02:38 PM

Hrm... I havent seen them wonder how you find them or how you "call" them.

Egan
04-23-07, 02:43 PM
Hrm... I havent seen them wonder how you find them or how you "call" them.
You don't call them. All tenders are at fixed posistions as they were in real life: Exmouth Gulf, Milne Bay, Johnstone Atal. There are lots of others that appear as the war progresses. They acted as advance bases for refueling the same as they do in the game. The US did not use a 'milch-cow' system like the German's did. The Tenders went to one location and stayed there.

Quillan
04-23-07, 02:46 PM
Johnstone Atoll and Exmouth Gulf appeared on my map during my last patrol, Sept 1, 1942. I haven't seen Milne yet. Johnstone seems wierd to me; it's so close to both Pearl and Midway I don't really see the point. Exmouth does keep south Pacific boats from having to head all the way around to Fremantle, but if I was near Japan then Midway would be closer than Johnstone.

mainexpress
04-23-07, 03:24 PM
im gonna try the real life battery mod to see if that helps.:D

SteamWake
04-23-07, 03:28 PM

Wont help much with your diesel consumption...

mainexpress
04-23-07, 03:37 PM

Wont help much with your diesel consumption... then the game needs to be more historically acurate to how the real U.S. submarines made there trips across the pacific,hopefully a 1.3 patch can fix this or it can be somehow modded correctly.which in time i know the devs are doing awesome work, kudos to you guys.:up:

Quillan
04-23-07, 04:04 PM
At the root, it's probably the same basic cause as that used to enable the "real life" battery times in that mod. In the game, each boat had a default speed set in the file (.sim file I think, but don't recall right now). All energy usage calculation was based on that speed. If you increased the speed beyond that point, it increased the energy usage by the square of the speed increase factor. Double the speed equalled four times the energy usage, and the default submerged speed was 2 knots. CCIP set it for 4 knots, and the result is that sumberged endurance at 4 knots is pretty much what it was supposedly in WWII. The submerged endurance at higher speeds is closer to true than it was with the default settings, but endurance at slower than 4 knots is a good bit higher than real life was.

Probably the game has a default speed setting for surface movement, likely 10 knots from what has been said, and moving faster or slower than that speed changes fuel consumption. Since going slower means you don't move quite as far in the same time while you might use less fuel per hour you don't get quite the same fuel economy that way.