PDA

View Full Version : More CTDs in 1.2 than in 1.1...

GuillermoZS
04-21-07, 11:49 AM
Hi,

it seems Memory management issues havenīt been fixed in the patch and it also seems they are worst now... Iīve suffered CTDs now on hiting ships, map zooming/scrolling, external views,... where never happened before...

Is someone else having this problems too?

maerean_m
04-21-07, 12:29 PM
I've never had any CTDs so far, yet I've even played SH4 for 8 straight hours :up: .

I only use the excellent mod with the black dials in the HUD ( :rock: ).

Steps to take:

1. Uninstall SH4 and do a clean install of SH4 1.0
2. Launch SH4.exe and wait for the auto-patcher to tell you that a patch (1.2) is available, so you install the official patch from ubisoft.
3. Try it for a while, unmoded. See if you encounter any CTDs.
4. Install only the mods that are mentioned to be compatible with patch 1.2, and maybe one at a time to detect any mods that causeCTDs by themselves.

Hope this helps

sbrengard
04-21-07, 01:52 PM
You are not alone ... I am also getting many more CTDs using the 1.2 patch. I'm thinking its video related. Seems to happened more often as I switch views.

Snowman999
04-21-07, 02:33 PM
You are not alone ... I am also getting many more CTDs using the 1.2 patch. I'm thinking its video related. Seems to happened more often as I switch views.

Ditto. I was able today, by changing graphics settings, to get for the first time the shaking water bug and the screen flash bug. And I had a CTD while doing a simple transit from Midway, no contacts, on the surface, simply going from the nav map to the external view with the F11 key. Goodbye career.

This is rapidly becoming not fun. I turned the game off and went back to my War in the Pacific epic.

NefariousKoel
04-21-07, 02:52 PM
What vid cards are you guys using?

I've not had one CTD since 1.2 and I've put some time in on it.

NEON DEON
04-21-07, 02:58 PM

After re-installing the game, patching to 1.2, and defragging the hard drive, I have had no CTDs too.:up:

AVGWarhawk
04-21-07, 03:01 PM

After re-installing the game, patching to 1.2, and defragging the hard drive, I have had no CTDs too.:up:

Exactly what I did after my first CTD.....this was my last CTD:yep: . Just need to look at your system and figure it out sometimes.

vanjast
04-21-07, 03:05 PM
The CTD's might be linked to the size of your PC's virtual memory(mine is 8GB), as well as the graphics card memory (as all the game objects are loaded here - some mods increase the number of objects so resulting in memory problems). Also make sure there are minimum background processes running? :up:

TDK1044
04-21-07, 03:08 PM
I had no CTDs with 1.1 and also none with 1.2

CCIP
04-21-07, 03:10 PM
I had no CTDs with 1.1 and also none with 1.2

Likewise. Well, I did have maybe one or two, but for reasons that have so far been explained.

I think most of the complaints as far as stability are related to problems in people's system rather than the game - at worst, perhaps the fact that the game is not optimized for their particular system.

MadMike
04-21-07, 03:19 PM
Reinstalled SH4 with 1.1 and 1.2, some of the mods were already present in my game files. So far so good...

Yours, Mike

oritpro
04-21-07, 03:23 PM
Hi,

it seems Memory management issues havenīt been fixed in the patch and it also seems they are worst now... Iīve suffered CTDs now on hiting ships, map zooming/scrolling, external views,... where never happened before...

Is someone else having this problems too?

No CTD's here (yet); However, I just rebuilt my system because the hard drive died a couple days before 1.2 was released and I just rebuilt it yesterday.

I have done one patrol, so far so good.

NefariousKoel
04-21-07, 04:36 PM
If anyone is having CTDs I'd recommend uninstalling SH4, deleting any files left over in Program Files and My Docs folders. My uninstall took them all out but you should check as it's helped some other people.

I think installed a straight 1.2 patch. You don't need to install 1.1 that I've seen.:)

AVGWarhawk
04-21-07, 04:51 PM
This is what else I do for smooth sailing. Once the game is loaded I cache all the screens. Doing this allows the computer to throw up the page you are asking without hesitation next time you call it up. What does this do for you? Easy, say you come up on a convoy, rough weather. At this time your computer is running top end to make it work for you. Now, hit the U key for TBT and this page has not been cached...oh oh, computer says stop, let me get that page for you and in the mean time I'm dropping the other crap while I do this. BAM, ....CTD :damn: . So once all screens/stations are cached allows the computer not having to stop to go find it. It is hanging out in virtual memory and not spinning up the hard drive looking for it. Seems simple but it is very effective.

I played another 4 hours today. No CTD. My wife hates the game....she is having a CTD:roll: . Maybe I should spool her up in the virtual memory as well.;)

CaptainHunter
04-21-07, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the tip....AVGWarhawk:know:

vanjast
04-21-07, 05:15 PM
It is hanging out in virtual memory and not spinning up the hard drive looking for it. Seems simple but it is very effective.

Err AVG, virtual memory is on the Hard Drive.. :up:

NEON DEON
04-21-07, 05:21 PM
It is hanging out in virtual memory and not spinning up the hard drive looking for it. Seems simple but it is very effective.

Err AVG, virtual memory is on the Hard Drive.. :up:

The hard drive is cached. Some drives have 8 mb. This allows you to cruise thru different screens faster. I do the same thing when I load. Cycle thru the different stations.

-Pv-
04-21-07, 05:23 PM
I have had zero CTDs on 1.2 in over 30 hours of play. Another thing to check is make sure you're not trying to play pre-1.2 saved games. Your computer has to be running clean and the hardware has to meet the min game specs. Seek advice frok the help threads if you don't know how to optimize your system for gaming.
The devs warned in the 1.2 readme the memory load increased with this version.
Well, we asked for the higher rezolutions didn't we?
-Pv-

cdrsubron7
04-21-07, 05:24 PM
This is what else I do for smooth sailing. Once the game is loaded I cache all the screens. Doing this allows the computer to throw up the page you are asking without hesitation next time you call it up. What does this do for you? Easy, say you come up on a convoy, rough weather. At this time your computer is running top end to make it work for you. Now, hit the U key for TBT and this page has not been cached...oh oh, computer says stop, let me get that page for you and in the mean time I'm dropping the other crap while I do this. BAM, ....CTD :damn: . So once all screens/stations are cached allows the computer not having to stop to go find it. It is hanging out in virtual memory and not spinning up the hard drive looking for it. Seems simple but it is very effective.

I played another 4 hours today. No CTD. My wife hates the game....she is having a CTD:roll: . Maybe I should spool her up in the virtual memory as well.;)

Since I've installed the 1.2 patch I've more CTDs also. When taking a screenshot, trying to end a patrol, or just in the middle of playing. I did a clean install of SHIV before applying the patch. I have a few mods installed through the jsgme. When playing SHIV with just the 1.1 patch installed I've never had any CTDs.

As I am not all that computer literate in some areas, AVGWarhawk, could you be so kind and describe how one loads all the screens in SHIV in the cache?

Thanks

cdrsubron7 :up:

Skubber
04-21-07, 06:17 PM
This is interesting.

I had numerous CTDs before patch 1.2 but since installing it I haven't had any.

Probably put in about equal hours playing both.

These must be pretty machine-specific issues.

Weigh-Man
04-21-07, 06:29 PM
If anyone is having CTDs I'd recommend uninstalling SH4, deleting any files left over in Program Files and My Docs folders. My uninstall took them all out but you should check as it's helped some other people.

I think installed a straight 1.2 patch. You don't need to install 1.1 that I've seen.:)

I tried all of that and more with 1.2 and it was just unplayable, I was getting random CTD's all the time, I have tried many different things to stop them but nothing worked.

In the end I went back to 1.1 and have very few problems with that at all (once a few mods are installed, RM mod, A key fix etc)

It's been a very frustrating experience for me with 1.2:damn:

Fearless
04-21-07, 06:38 PM
As I am not all that computer literate in some areas, AVGWarhawk, could you be so kind and describe how one loads all the screens in SHIV in the cache?

Thanks

I think what AV means is that when you are in-game, you then access every station available. That will load each station into the cache so when you access a particular station next time, it loads quicker.

That's what I do. :)

cdrsubron7
04-21-07, 07:45 PM

Thanks

I think what AV means is that when you are in-game, you then access every station available. That will load each station into the cache so when you access a particular station next time, it loads quicker.

Thanks, Fearless. I just didn't quite understand what AVGWarhawk had meant. :up:

cdrsubron7 ;)

JerM
04-21-07, 08:09 PM
i haven't had any CTDs but the other day after i installed 1.2 i started a career. just outside of pearl i hit the f11 button to look at my sub and the whole screen went green. the whole thing green. wierd. i could tell the game was still running beacause i hit several other buttons and i could hear the backround noise. then i restarted.

AVGWarhawk
04-21-07, 08:54 PM

Thanks

Thanks, Fearless. I just didn't quite understand what AVGWarhawk had meant. :up:

cdrsubron7 ;)

Basically you have pulled all the SH4 files up to the front of the line. This allows for quick retrieval of the files you need. Your RAM is shoving all it can to run the game and reducing the fetch time of a new interface page helps the game run smoother. So at the start, I prefetch all I will need to play. This is done by just hitting all your places you can go. Like the bridge, sonar, crew screen, torpedo screen, map screen, etc. These are all gathered and just waiting. At this point I commence my patrol. All pertaint files are ready to go at click of key. Like I said, if you head out and get caught in a high demand senerio(convoy, weather, night time) you might be asking for a CTD if you go to a screen that has not been cached. Your computer has to stop momentarily to go find it. This stop to go get in a high demand process can ruin a whole day. Unless, you have a super computer like some have. Guys like me who are on the edge of processor explosion need to find other ways to get the max out of the computer. This is one way to keep you processors humming along. If you have not tried this give it a go. You will find once all stations have been pulled up and in the cache, the next time you hit the key it will not lag for a few seconds. The page should pull right up. Again, I do not start the patrol where I left off until I visit each station. Once done you are ready to go and you have reduced the possiblity of CTD in a high demand situation.

macky
04-21-07, 08:57 PM
only CTD i have ever had was tha 'a' key scenario. 1.2 fixed that so been ok since then:yep:

DragonRR1
04-21-07, 09:05 PM
I didn't really play version 1.0 much.. I shelved it after one patrol (I received a copy quite early). When patch 1.1. came out I installed over the top without re-installing and I played 2 or 3 patrols with several CTDs. I noticed a few posters suggesting that a re-install had cured their CTDs but I again shelved the game and waited for 1.2. When 1.2 appeared I completely removed SH4 deleting all save games and the documents and settings folder. I have played about 4.5 patrols with 1.2 and have not had a CTD to date.

Weigh-Man
04-22-07, 09:35 AM
It's very strange, with 1.1 I had some bugs, most of which were solved by the superb modders here at subsim, CTD's were something that I never had with 1.1 in 50 - 60 hours of playing.

With 1.2 I can't go more than 5-10 minutes without a CTD, I thought it might be the increased screen resolutions putting too much strain on my system, so I tried at the minimum settings, no change CTD's all the time.

System - P4 3.2HT, 2gb ram, Nvidia 7800GSOC AGP,X-fi Sound card

I have tried new drivers, old drivers, defrag, clear cache, Affinity settings, re-install, then 1.1 then 1.2, reinstall then straight to 1.2

Sorry about the whinge, am just frustrated:hmm:

GuillermoZS
04-22-07, 10:33 AM
Hi, thanks for the comments ;)

I tried turning off ALL the mods i had running and the game works MUCH better (I still have some CTD some times, specially in External/underwater view) This happened to me in 1.1 also.

I think itīs not an especific mod causing problems (all are 1.2 compatible) but the accumulation of all of them. They seem to make the game consume extra memory for some reason... so I try to keep the number of mods Iīm running as low as possible.

CCIP
04-22-07, 10:36 AM
System - P4 3.2HT, 2gb ram, Nvidia 7800GSOC AGP,X-fi Sound card

I have tried new drivers, old drivers, defrag, clear cache, Affinity settings, re-install, then 1.1 then 1.2, reinstall then straight to 1.2

Sorry about the whinge, am just frustrated:hmm:
You know what's strange? My system is a P4 3.01HT, 2gb ram, Nvidia 7800GSOC, X-fi sound card... and I have not had had a single CTD with this patch yet (and I've played a good 4 full patrols already) :hmm:

Something's up. But I'm sure it's not the system specs. Odd how some people have it and some people don't - especially when the people have virtually identical specs.

Tobus
04-22-07, 10:38 AM
I have had numerous problems after I patched to 1.2 from 1.1. Torps not firing, CTD's and a completely unreadable navigationmap. After uninstall - reinstall - patch straight to 1.2, no more problems, just the normal bugs.

I did have one CTD this afternoon. I was going for my patrolgrounds when I got the message if I wanted to loose the special forces I I had to drop. Since this was not my mission, I told it to postpone, which gave me a CTD.

I reloaded a save, passed through the same point on the map, but now everything stayed fine. Weird?!

cdrsubron7
04-22-07, 10:55 AM
I'm currently running e6700 Intel processor on a eVGA 680i motherboard with 2gb of G.Skill PC2-6400 ram and a XFX Geforce 8800 GTX. After reading some of the posts here I reduced my AF and AA settings from 16x to 8x. Played last night with no problems. Actually did a double-barreled patrol. I refitted at Mios Wendi and went back to the SCS looking for some action. Headed back to Fremantle to end my patrol and when I was asked to end patrol I clicked on Yes and got a CTD. After installing the 1.2 patch I had this happen twice before I was able to end a patrol. What gives?

cdrsubron7 :hmm:

AirborneTD
04-22-07, 02:20 PM
I haven't had as many CTDs as with 1.1 but I do have a strange screen freeze happening after playing for a good while. My screen will freeze and become all fuzzy and jagged. When this happens, I have to reboot my PC. Bummer.

Specs: 3.4g P4, 2gig ram, Geforce 7600gs 512 pci express

CCIP
04-22-07, 02:22 PM
I haven't had as many CTDs as with 1.1 but I do have a strange screen freeze happening after playing for a good while. My screen will freeze and become all fuzzy and jagged. When this happens, I have to reboot my PC. Bummer.

Specs: 3.4g P4, 2gig ram, Geforce 7600gs 512 pci express

I'd be careful with that. Sounds like a video card issue; I've had that when my video card was overheating.

Snowman999
04-22-07, 05:41 PM
The CTD's might be linked to the size of your PC's virtual memory(mine is 8GB), as well as the graphics card memory (as all the game objects are loaded here - some mods increase the number of objects so resulting in memory problems). Also make sure there are minimum background processes running? :up:

MS Knowledge Base indicates Windows XP max virtual memeory file size is 4GB unless you use multiple volumes. How do you get 8GB?

Snowman999
04-22-07, 05:47 PM

This one gives me hope.

Ever since Windows 3.1 I've let the system manage virtual memory. After reading this post I went to look (can't hurt, right?) and found it locked on 2048 MB! Windows was telling me the minimum it needed (no apps loaded) was 3069 MB. I don't know when or how this setting got changed and locked, but I changed it to 3069 minimum and 4095 MB max. Will see if it helps.

Grothesj2
04-22-07, 11:30 PM
No CTD with 1.2 here and just a couple with 1.1.

GuillermoZS
04-23-07, 12:28 AM
Ok, I uninstalled, reinstalled, patched and defragmented my HD. I played a full patrol with no CTD at all :up: It seems this solved the problem. Thanks :D

oritpro
04-23-07, 01:06 AM
Had a CTD while returning from my second patrol on the v1.2 patch. I had just surfaced the boat and went to go to the deck when it happened. Fortunately, I saved the game less than a minute earlier.

This happened on a machine that I just rebuilt a couple of days ago.

CCIP
04-23-07, 02:04 AM
Eh, if it's a single crash - that can happen to any game! Your memory might've just temporarily choked up.

The real concern should be when these happen regularly.

Roadsweeper
04-23-07, 08:42 AM
Im getting CTD's all the time, but, its reproduceable. I know roughtly whats causing it, just not exactly, and not how to fix it.

Everythings works as it should, until I take the external cam underwater, then within 30 secs... bang, SH4 ctd's, I can run the external cam above the surface for hours quite happily. Ive had the CTD using the scope too (looking through the lense while its underwater, and crashed once while on the bridge (large wave put the bridge underwater, and ctd'ed).

Notice a simialrity... yeah its all underwater, definately video issue here, just dunno what. Ive got the latest direct X, display drivers etc.

system is as follows

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Ultimate (6.0, Build 6000) (6000.vista_rtm.061101-2205)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: INTEL_
System Model: D975XBX_
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU X6800 @ 2.93GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.9GHz
Memory: 2044MB RAM
Page File: 904MB used, 3404MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 6.00.6000.16386 32bit Unicode

GFX card is a GeForce 9750gx2 (1gig ram)

I highly suspect its the nvidia drivers doing it, MS and nvidia dont seem to be communicating with each other very well with regards to high end 7 series card and vista, but the odd thing is, its only done it since ive installled the 1.2 patch, pre-1.2 I could run the underwater cam for hours.

Tried deleting the plankton (left me with solid grey water under the surface, couldnt see a thing. So replaced that and deleted the rocks and plants... no effect, still ctd'ed.....

Tried a fresh install, and tried playing unmodded/modded, no difference, my hard drives are regualry maintained and defragged, so thats not the problem.

ANyone else got any ideas?? Please... Not being able to see underwater is really very very annoying.

maerean_m
04-23-07, 01:52 PM
Try disabling the under water effects (light shafts (and maybe, just maybe, volumetric fog)).

Nice rig, btw :D, can't any better than that

You didn't say anything about Antialiasing or Texture filtering forces from the driver...
Not to forget, 9750gx2 actually uses SLI although is just one card. So it could be an issue related to SLI.

There is something important that changed in patch 1.2: true resolution rendering. So there could be thing related to light shafts and the big resolution. What resolution are you using?

DragonRR1
04-23-07, 02:19 PM
I would tend to agree.. A combination of Vista and the 7950GX2. There are issues with SLI and Vista:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=77109

NEON DEON
04-23-07, 02:20 PM
Can you run Direct X 9c on Vista?

maerean_m
04-23-07, 02:22 PM
Still, it happends on 8800 GTS with 640 mb. So it could be one of the shaders used under water what tries to count the video memory and overflows when there is more than 512 installed.

maerean_m
04-23-07, 02:24 PM
Can you run Direct X 9c on Vista?
When installing any version of DirectX, it installs all versions up to that version (DirectX is just a collection of interfaces made public through COM) so you can run any game, no matter the version the game what created with (7.0, 8.1, 9.0 etc).