PDA

View Full Version : How deep have you gone?

P_Funk
04-21-07, 04:48 AM
Inspired by this thread at another site, how far down have you taken your U-boat and returned to tell the tale?

http://www.rumration.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=204/postdays=0/postorder=asc/start=0.html

:|\\

Morts
04-21-07, 04:53 AM
deepest ive gone is 340 meters:-? and lived to tell the tale:arrgh!:

Foghladh_mhara
04-21-07, 04:58 AM
230 in my VIIB and came back. 242 was the break point in my death experiment, imploded at that point

HunterICX
04-21-07, 05:01 AM
255 - 260 with a VIIC while repairing heavy flooding
I was lucky that I got back to base after that one.

:D

Penelope_Grey
04-21-07, 05:29 AM
Proportionally, the deepest I have ever gone was 190 meters in a IIA which when you consider the ramifacations of that its pretty darn deep.

Jimbuna
04-21-07, 06:03 AM
380 metres Type VIIC/41 :arrgh!:

P_Funk
04-21-07, 06:15 AM
I have a fresh career using a VIIC/41 that I created after the release of the mod that gives it its own model in game.

I took it down to 273 in my... uh... trim dive.:cool:

STEED
04-21-07, 07:31 AM
All the way to :dead:

nikbear
04-21-07, 07:58 AM

Blimey!:o what on earth sounds was the hull making at that depth:huh:

P_Funk
04-21-07, 08:05 AM
Blimey!:o what on earth sounds was the hull making at that depth:huh:
Oh I'm pretty sure that at that depth you woulnd't be able to hear much over the sobs and wimpers of the crew.

Jimbuna
04-21-07, 08:19 AM
Sorry guys it was a 'typo' :oops: It was 360 metres in 1x tc...hull integrity started to dwindle and 'ahed full and rise' was the instantaenous order :arrgh!: :lol:

TarJak
04-22-07, 01:21 AM
All the way up to me nuts in guts!:D

Kaleun Cook
04-22-07, 01:50 AM
290 or so with vii/b. the pressure already caused damage of course (i don't remember the depth that it started). in fact i went up too slow and died - but it was only a testing single mission. I wanted to hear that "Die Bolzen, sie platzen weg" sound that you can find in the sounds folder under gwx. but it didn't play.:shifty:

3Jane
04-23-07, 03:55 AM
290 or so with vii/b. the pressure already caused damage of course (i don't remember the depth that it started). in fact i went up too slow and died - but it was only a testing single mission. I wanted to hear that "Die Bolzen, sie platzen weg" sound that you can find in the sounds folder under gwx. but it didn't play.:shifty:

Yes, I was hoping to hear that one at 245 mtr, also the sound of ships sinking being audible from inside the boat would be nice as well if anyone knows how to do that.

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/666/depthunderrepostfr3.png

Genghis Khan
04-24-07, 04:24 AM
Well,I was evading two destroyers with my Type VIIB U-49 at constant depth of 200 m.Speaking generally,this "workhorse" of Kriegsmarine Aces is extremely reliable under all conditions and depthes of 200 m and a bit over are usually OK for integrity.Once I even managed to lie down to the bottom in the area near Scapa Flow - depth around 70 m.Just like in Das Boot :up:

Telgriff
04-24-07, 11:03 PM
277m in my IXB and counting. Though it may be a death dive as I cant stop the flooding from a DC attack off Hailfax, guess sinking 5 DD's made them kind of mad.

TriskettheKid
04-24-07, 11:53 PM
498m in my XXI.

Not the smartest thing I've ever done....

P_Funk
04-25-07, 12:45 AM
498m in my XXI.

Not the smartest thing I've ever done....
:huh:
Did you survive?

GoldenRivet
04-25-07, 01:51 AM
Balls Deep!!!! :rock:

Ohhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry couldnt resist :rotfl:

P_Funk
04-25-07, 02:43 AM
Balls Deep!!!! :rock:

Ohhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry couldnt resist :rotfl: :o... *ponders reaction*... :hmm:...

NICE!!!!!!! :rock::rock::rock::rock::rock:

Kaleu. Jochen Mohr
04-25-07, 08:03 AM
i went at 260 meters with a VIIB type.
and did a emergeny surface when the hull was cracking...
when i was topside the hull was down to 60%...
but still continued my mission and got safely back at willemshaven :up:

fair_weather
04-25-07, 09:11 AM
220 in a VIIB.

It was an interesting encounter...in which I ended up dead...

was on a fairly productive patrol, sank a number of ship and came up with around 44,000 GRT, when this convoy appeared on the map behind me by a few miles. So I ordered about, I still had 3 fish left, to see what I could find.

Got within visual range (16km on GWX) and saw a rather large convoy. 3 DDs, a bunch of merchs and in the centre...a Southhampton Cruiser :o

I hadn't seen a cruiser in the game yet! And I had 3 fish! SCORE!:rock:

So I went to silent running, dived to 25 meters and started creeping up to the convoy...

...then the nearest DD started pinging me...

"AAAAALARM!!!!"

Dove to 100 metres...and cut engines and waited...

ping....ping....BOOM

DCed my backside. aft tube destroyed, heavy flooding. I started repairs but the other 3 DDs came to help the lone DD, and started working in tandem, two would ping and one wouldn't move...listening for me! GAH! so I ordered a dive to 200 meters...

...reached 200...

...BOOM...

GAH!! Blow Ballast! Emergency Back Full!

She broke the surface and was met by 3 DDs...

needless to say she went all the way down again...

And yes...I was thoroughly pissed...cause I was 200 renown away from getting a 7C.

But some good news, started on a save right before that, finished the patrol, and got my 7C...

and what's more...

...I got U-96 :arrgh!: :rock:

So in the end it all worked out well (and yes, I'm flying the Laughing Swordfish on my conning tower)

TriskettheKid
04-25-07, 11:43 AM
498m in my XXI.

Not the smartest thing I've ever done.... :huh:
Did you survive?

Surprisingly, yes. I just had to deal with intense flooding as I clawed back towards the surface.

Kaleu. Jochen Mohr
04-25-07, 05:10 PM
220 in a VIIB.

It was an interesting encounter...in which I ended up dead...

was on a fairly productive patrol, sank a number of ship and came up with around 44,000 GRT, when this convoy appeared on the map behind me by a few miles. So I ordered about, I still had 3 fish left, to see what I could find.

Got within visual range (16km on GWX) and saw a rather large convoy. 3 DDs, a bunch of merchs and in the centre...a Southhampton Cruiser :o

I hadn't seen a cruiser in the game yet! And I had 3 fish! SCORE!:rock:

So I went to silent running, dived to 25 meters and started creeping up to the convoy...

...then the nearest DD started pinging me...

"AAAAALARM!!!!"

Dove to 100 metres...and cut engines and waited...

ping....ping....BOOM

DCed my backside. aft tube destroyed, heavy flooding. I started repairs but the other 3 DDs came to help the lone DD, and started working in tandem, two would ping and one wouldn't move...listening for me! GAH! so I ordered a dive to 200 meters...

...reached 200...

...BOOM...

GAH!! Blow Ballast! Emergency Back Full!

She broke the surface and was met by 3 DDs...

needless to say she went all the way down again...

And yes...I was thoroughly pissed...cause I was 200 renown away from getting a 7C.

But some good news, started on a save right before that, finished the patrol, and got my 7C...

and what's more...

...I got U-96 :arrgh!: :rock:

So in the end it all worked out well (and yes, I'm flying the Laughing Swordfish on my conning tower)

nice story :up: .
i just heve done my 1st mission on SH3 GWX. although i started 50 times.
most time my game crashed or i died :damn: .
i was lucky this time.

TriskettheKid
04-25-07, 07:54 PM
Keep in mind, I have GWX installed.

I beat it! 499m! This has got to be a fluke in my game somewhere.

I wanted to test the Type XXI, since I've barely used it because of it's size issue. The first deep dive of 498m was made because I just wanted to see how deep she could go before problems occured.

This time, though, with 499m, it was because I was forced there. I was making an attack on a task force out in the middle of the North Atlantic. My two torpedoes hit their mark and sent the BB in the middle onto her side.

Obviously, the 6 or so DDs immediately started pinging me so I set myself up for a crash dive. I put all the men I could into my forward compartments and signaled for the crash dive. Suddenly, a plane out of nowhere DCs my position.

Thankfully, the DC exploded UNDERNEATH me, which is what caused the ruckus. I got thrown to the service in an uncontrollable ascent. Once I breached the surface, I immediately Crash Dived. within a minute I was below 100m....and it wasn't stopping!

No flooding, no nothing, it just wouldn't stop diving. Passed 200m, I started to worry. Passing 300m, I remembered my men were all in the forward compartment. So I moved as many as I could to the aft compartmants.

Passing 350m, it seems I had slowed her descent, only to find (thanks to the external view) that I was now rotating about the conning tower and was now descending aft first.

Panic started to set in because I had taken this career from 1939 until 45 and I didn't want to lose it like this. So as I passed 400m, I evened out my crew, hoping to at least keep the boat level.

Passing 450m, I noticed that my electric batteries were damaged, so I sent damage control to fix it. I was reallllllly worried because my boat was creaking and moaning like it was ready to crush. At 480m, the engines came back on, and the descent slowed to a crawl. At 499m I was able to stop ALL downward motion, and slowly start to make my way to the surface (or at least a more manageable depth).

I ascended very slowly, way slower than I have ever seen in GWX, until I passed 350m. Once I passed 350m, for whatever reason, flooding appeared in all compartments. I had flooding under control by 260m, and somehow...somehow I was able to evade the remaining DDs. Used up all my decoys.

Once I was in the clear, I slowly made my way back to Bergen.

The funny thing was that on my very next patrol, I was almost unable to dive with any sort of control. I pretty much had to blow ballast every time I went under. So my last two patrols saw me with 0 tonnage because of this.

Kaleu. Jochen Mohr
04-25-07, 08:48 PM
not so good. but hey be happy you survived to tell the tale :D

most U-boats didnt:nope:

just like me when DCed of 3 Hunt II destroyers
http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/7628/sh3viibtypeismorethanwasi6.jpg

Jimbuna
04-27-07, 11:26 AM
@TriskettheKid
A very informative/interesting read :up: :arrgh!:

sunvalleyslim
04-27-07, 12:40 PM
I have personally been down to 400 ft in a Balao class sub..........

Kaleu. Jochen Mohr
04-27-07, 02:43 PM
that isnt a german sub or is it ?

P_Funk
04-27-07, 06:45 PM
I have personally been down to 400 ft in a Balao class sub.......... that isnt a german sub or is it ?
Thats an american sub. 400 ft being nothing close to 400 meters.:cool:

Kaleu. Jochen Mohr
04-27-07, 07:06 PM
I have personally been down to 400 ft in a Balao class sub.......... that isnt a german sub or is it ?
Thats an american sub. 400 ft being nothing close to 400 meters.:cool:

i see...:)

P_Funk
04-27-07, 07:14 PM
I have personally been down to 400 ft in a Balao class sub.......... that isnt a german sub or is it ? Thats an american sub. 400 ft being nothing close to 400 meters.:cool:
i see...:)
Yes I believe thats about 120 meters... only.;)

sunvalleyslim
04-27-07, 07:26 PM
i see...:) Yes I believe thats about 120 meters... only.;)[/quote]

P-Funk, only about 120 meters? Well considering test depth was 410 ft and it was 25 years after it was built, I would have liked you to be there when it happened. It wouldn't have only been 120 meters to you when your a-s was down there....:huh:

Kaleu. Jochen Mohr
04-27-07, 07:33 PM
i see...:) Yes I believe thats about 120 meters... only.;)

P-Funk, only about 120 meters? Well considering test depth was 410 ft and it was 25 years after it was built, I would have liked you to be there when it happened. It wouldn't have only been 120 meters to you when your a-s was down there....:huh:[/quote]
i bet it would be scarry. its scary enuf to go with a VIIB to 350m in the game :dead:

HM.Medico
04-27-07, 10:17 PM
Took my VIIB to 260 meters.

Hull began buckling so I ordered an immediate blow ballast

Didn't set in until about 280 meters and in the end I had about 25% intergrity and a lot of brown pants, and I don't mean that of the PO's ;)

Went back to Willemshaven and vowed to never _ever_ be so careless with test dives again :lol:

P_Funk
04-27-07, 11:30 PM
P-Funk, only about 120 meters? Well considering test depth was 410 ft and it was 25 years after it was built, I would have liked you to be there when it happened. It wouldn't have only been 120 meters to you when your a-s was down there....:huh:[/quote]
Oh I know that I liley would have shat myself.

But its just a little bit of competitive jousting.:cool:

Kaleu. Jochen Mohr
05-02-07, 08:56 PM
i recently got to 400m with my IXB and had to emergency surface then

robbo180265
05-03-07, 03:09 AM

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Don't know about you guys but I thought he was talking SHIV - not real life:o

shegeek72
05-03-07, 04:43 AM
Keep in mind, I have GWX installed.

No flooding, no nothing, it just wouldn't stop diving. Passed 200m, I started to worry. Passing 300m, I remembered my men were all in the forward compartment. So I moved as many as I could to the aft compartmants.
Does the position of the crew really effect U-boat physics? Is this in the stock game or a GWX tweak? :hmm:
--
http://tarafoundation.org/sh3_U100.jpg

Jimbuna
05-03-07, 04:57 AM
This point has been discussed/debated many times and as yet no definitive answer has arisen. Personally, I don't think the positioning of the crew has any bearing at all :nope:

Kaleu. Jochen Mohr
05-03-07, 05:38 AM
i second it

Sailor Steve
05-03-07, 11:09 AM
:o

WOW!

I didn't know there were any still operational! I've virtually been on one in a game, but never personally.

Can you get me a ride?:rotfl:

Redbear
05-06-07, 09:07 AM
Reminds me of a scene from the movie U-571, when the Special Ops agent asks the Captain how deep the U.S. sub will go:

"All the way to the bottom if we don't stop her". :yep:

TriskettheKid
05-06-07, 01:53 PM
This point has been discussed/debated many times and as yet no definitive answer has arisen. Personally, I don't think the positioning of the crew has any bearing at all :nope:

I'm fairly certain that it does. I'll run some tests on it later, but I'm certain that crew position matters.

Jimbuna
05-06-07, 02:23 PM
Mind...it has been timed using a stopwatch :lol:

TriskettheKid
05-06-07, 02:39 PM
And it's still inconclusive?

Maybe it had something to do with why flooding only appeared after I passed 350m on my way back up. As well as the reason why I was unable to control my dives in my final two patrols of the war.