PDA

View Full Version : Rules of Engagement in 1939?

siber
04-20-07, 07:56 AM
Hi all.

A question regarding the hundreds of radio transmissions received on the first patrol of 1939:

BdU keeps telling me to observe London treaty and Prize rules and the like, and not to sink passenger ships. Then they say you have to stop ships with your gun and inspect their papers (!!!)

Is this all eye-candy, or does it impact upon your career? I mean, if you're told 'don't attack passenger vessels, can you attack Passenger/Cargo ships? How am I to know what's in the boxes on the fore-deck? Cabbages, or rifles? If it's eye-candy, surely then it's just a question of sink-'em-all-and-hang-the-consequences!

Especially difficult in a Type II when you've only got a 20mm flak gun and also have trouble outrunning asthmatic snails.

If these mission orders do impact upon your career, do they then carry over to the next misson, and the next until they're recinded or superceded?

STEED
04-20-07, 08:01 AM
Hi all.

sink-'em-all-and-hang-the-consequences!

That's the spirit, kill them all. :D

siber
04-20-07, 08:03 AM
Easier said than done in a Type II, with all of 6 torpedoes! :down:

STEED
04-20-07, 08:05 AM
Easier said than done in a Type II, with all of 6 torpedoes! :down:

You can get one big one and one small one just make them count, and to answer your question eye candy that's all.

But in the real events it was different.

P_Funk
04-20-07, 08:07 AM
Its only for show. Though in real life the U-boats were theoretically limited in their forms of engagement, practically speaking you only need to worry about Neutrals.

The messages are just there for fun. Although you can role play along with them, to the best of your abilities.

siber
04-20-07, 08:09 AM
You can get one big one and one small one just make them count, and to answer your question eye candy that's all.

But in the real events it was different.
The state of my torpedo aiming, I can get one hole in a bow and 5 swimming off to a beach somewhere... :oops:

I just wish those ships wouldn't wriggle around so much. I think they see my first shot. :shifty:

STEED
04-20-07, 08:12 AM
The state of my torpedo aiming, I can get one hole in a bow and 5 swimming off to a beach somewhere... :oops:

I just wish those ships wouldn't wriggle around so much. I think they see my first shot. :shifty:

Keep at it, and if your in 1939/40 sail up to them and sink them close up your be OK as they don't have guns yet.

Umfuld
04-20-07, 08:20 AM
I just wish those ships wouldn't wriggle around so much. I think they see my first shot. :shifty:Cargo shouldn't be wriggling around at all, unless they've detected you.

Make sure you're running silent as you approach. It's my guess that many players do make surface night raids, but my style is to go to peri depth for every attack.
Usually under the water by 4,000m.

STEED
04-20-07, 08:25 AM
Directive No.5 30th September 1939

From section d4

Attacks on passenger ships or large ships which obviously carry considerable numbers of passengers in addition to cargo are still forbidden.

Directive No.7 18th October 1939

The Navy may attack passenger ships in a convoy or proceeding without lights.