PDA

View Full Version : Deck Gun Question

SmokinTep
04-20-07, 06:58 AM
I have GWX installed and noticed last night that my deck gun only has HE shells, no AP or Star shells. Looked in the manual about this, but found nothing.

danlisa
04-20-07, 07:12 AM
I'm sure that it's in Das Buch somewhere. Anywho, during the research carried out by the GWX devs (probably Clay Blair) they found that most U-Boats only carried HE rounds.

There are instructions on how to re-enable the other rounds in the mods forum, it's fairly easy as they have only been commented out in a config.

SmokinTep
04-20-07, 08:13 AM
Thanks, I'll take a look.

SmokinTep
04-20-07, 08:35 AM
OK, been thru about 10-15 pages in the Mod Forum. Seen a couple of things, but found nothing except this minitweaker which I don't want to install. If someone could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

danlisa
04-20-07, 08:41 AM
OK, been thru about 10-15 pages in the Mod Forum. Seen a couple of things, but found nothing except this minitweaker which I don't want to install. If someone could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

You don't need Minitweaker, see this post from BBW. MAKE A BACKUP!

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=485252&postcount=10

danlisa
04-20-07, 08:49 AM
I probably didn't make that clear. In the list on that post you can see lines that start with ; these are the original values. ; get used to comment out the values. You can also just change the 0 values.

SmokinTep
04-20-07, 09:07 AM
Thanks again............:up:

Foghladh_mhara
04-20-07, 10:14 AM
I'm sure that it's in Das Buch somewhere. Anywho, during the research carried out by the GWX devs (probably Clay Blair) they found that most U-Boats only carried HE rounds.

You mean Clay Blair is part of the GWX dev team or they use his works? Got his 'Hitlers U-Boat War' I & II in my desk here at work. Just a bit of light reading when the boss is not looking:D

melnibonian
04-20-07, 10:50 AM
You mean Clay Blair is part of the GWX dev team or they use his works? Got his 'Hitlers U-Boat War' I & II in my desk here at work. Just a bit of light reading when the boss is not looking:D
What Dan is trying to say is that the major source of reference and research for the GWX Team is Clay Blair's Books.

Sailor Steve
04-20-07, 11:02 AM

Actually that info originally comes from John Campbell's Naval Weapons Of World War Two, which I think I was the first one to mention. You can find the info quoted here:
http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNGER_88mm-45_skc35.htm
http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNGER_41-45_skc32.htm

Notice the note for the 8.8cm shell. Campbell is more specific; he has notes for both guns which say "AP and Illuminating Shell for minesweepers and subchasers". While he doesn't say "only", it's a pretty convincing argument that the subs didn't carry those shells.

Crazy Ian
04-21-07, 09:56 AM

Cool.. I do love those books.. been years since I read the pair though..

Pablo
04-21-07, 11:40 AM

There are instructions on how to re-enable the other rounds in the mods forum, it's fairly easy as they have only been commented out in a config. Hi!

This information didn't make it into V1.03 of the GWX Manual (aka "Das Buch" ;)) but it will be in the next release.

Pablo

SmokinTep
04-23-07, 06:55 AM
Changes made, works great.

Jimbuna
04-23-07, 07:03 AM
Great....everyone can 'stand easy' now :D :arrgh!: