PDA

View Full Version : SHIII problems with new hardware

3Jane
04-19-07, 03:49 PM
Having problems with SHIII GWX 1.03. I had to change my system due to a broken sata connection on my old asrock socket A mainboard. As the prices of new parts, that is cpu, ddrII and mainboard were within reach I decided to go down the AM 2 rout. I couldn't budget for a new graphics card, so I found the MSI K9MM-V (AM2) board to carry my AGP radeon 800 XT and audigy 2 cards. The new cpu, is an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ with 1Gb DDRII PC6400 800mhz memory stick.
The problems I have been having are mainly stalling, stuttering, locking up and CTD's, but the game takes ages longer to load aswell. The situation seems to have eased a little now that I have sailed away from land out of Lorient which leads me to think it might be a shortage of memory. But my old socket A Sempron 3000+ with 2Gb ddr handled everything perfectly, so I can not see why that should be the cause. These issues still persist even after a complete clean install right down to editing the ubisoft folders out of the registry. I thought it was just the move to the new hardware which might have caused it, just as I had to reload my graphics and sound drivers. But that was just as expected.
All my other applications, and the system overall is wroking as it should so it's not a system wide issue as far as I can see. I will try an extra stick of DDRII tomorrow to see if that helps things along.
Anyone had any similar problems.

robbo180265
04-19-07, 04:30 PM
Just an idea, but would it be worth you trying the Light Harbour traffic mod that comes with GWX? If it runs ok with that mod then I'd say that DDR might be your problem. I've 2 gb DDR and It's a bit choppy in the harbour but still playable, and I've never had a ctd.

Good luck with it, I'm sure a pooter genius will be along to help soon.

3Jane
04-19-07, 05:47 PM
It might help me to narrow it down. I will do some tests with that mod. Wonder if a change of resolution might help, 1024x768 at the moment. What's the highest resolution this game will run at, anyone?