PDA

View Full Version : Were SH3 Devs Influenced by Das Boot?

Iron Budokan
04-17-07, 09:31 AM
I think so, but maybe I'm just projecting what I want to see. I suppose there are certain elements that must be included: submarines, DDs, convoys. I get that. But, seriously, don't you guys think SH3 (both look and gameplay) was influenced a little bit, or a lot, by Das Boot?

GoldenRivet
04-17-07, 09:38 AM
well i suppose the same could be said about call of duty or medal of honor being influenced by saving private ryan or band of brothers.

this is the feeling one gets when they are watching a movie or playing a game that both deal with the same historical occurances.

It would have been difficult to make silent hunter 3 look or feel any different that das boot simply because the look and feel of the movie and the game go hand in hand because they both deal with the exact same subject matter and they both do it in a historically accurate way.

I dont know if they devs were particularly influenced by das boot directly... but i do know that Das Boot and SH3 both derived their inspiration from real life and thus, would both look and feel very similar.

Sailor Steve
04-17-07, 11:16 AM
There is no question that Aces Of the Deep was influenced by Das Boot. Probably so was every other German sub sim since, including SH3. Of course it helps that there have been great sound mods using Das Boot as their source.

Umfuld
04-17-07, 12:11 PM
It could be that they are both very realistic, and thus have the same feel by virture of capturing the feel of what it was like.