PDA

View Full Version : Collisions while driving home to Lorient

Kaleun Cook
04-17-07, 02:06 AM
Ahoi,

there occurs a strange problem when I set the course back home to Lorient. When I plot the course, push up the time compression and minimize the game to do something while waiting it happens that there's the death screen when I go back into the game. It says I'd have lost the boat due to collision.

Usually that message comes up only when you hit land but my plotted course ends far off France so the boat should just stop. I tried it without minimizing the game and it worked perfectly.

Of course now "don't minimize the game then" would be a solution. But I wonder if anyone else has had this problem and probably found a real workaround.

Cook

danlisa
04-17-07, 02:21 AM
There certainly aren't any small islands around that area, so that's not your problem.

How far from Lorient does your course end? The first thing that cmoes to mind are the patrolling friendlies. It's a strange occurance that whatever course you plot you will always come very close to another vessel and high TC will only compound this as the game has not time to respond to the danger.

If you are over 300km from Lorient, there are patrolling enemy ships it's possible you have inadvertantly come acroos them.

Also, if you are approaching Lorient there is a changable minefield on the north passage and a subnet on the south passage.

All in all approaching any harbour at high TC is going to be problamatic. I usually drop to <32 TC when under 250km to harbour.

HunterICX
04-17-07, 05:11 AM
To: Base Lorient

who was that maniac that just rammed me going 20 Knots when 5 knots is the speed limit!

:rotfl:

J/k

I guess, you have hitted some sort of object like dan mentions above

when I,m in range of the harbour I mostly drop my TC down to 64.
High is not adviced when close to harbours.

danurve
04-17-07, 09:16 AM
There certainly aren't any small islands around that area, so that's not your problem.

How far from Lorient does your course end? The first thing that cmoes to mind are the patrolling friendlies. It's a strange occurance that whatever course you plot you will always come very close to another vessel and high TC will only compound this as the game has not time to respond to the danger.

If you are over 300km from Lorient, there are patrolling enemy ships it's possible you have inadvertantly come acroos them.

Also, if you are approaching Lorient there is a changable minefield on the north passage and a subnet on the south passage.

All in all approaching any harbour at high TC is going to be problamatic. I usually drop to <32 TC when under 250km to harbour.

All good points. Especially the last one.

I have lost two boats from collision in / out of Biscay.
By the way, some of the u-boat pens (outline) out of Biscay are somewhat to scale yes? Take for example St Nazaire what the heck was the engineer thinking, PIA.

spork542
04-17-07, 12:17 PM
I lost one boat by accidentally hitting the continental shelf on the return voyage. It gets pretty shallow in some parts. :o

Morts
04-17-07, 12:33 PM
To: Base Lorient

who was that maniac that just rammed me going 20 Knots when 5 knots is the speed limit!

yea:-?....about that....sorry
and by the way id suggest diving if you can...cause the entire RaF is after me

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Kaleun Cook
04-17-07, 12:50 PM
I saved a game and tried both: minimizing the game with full tc and not minimizing the game with full tc. The course did only lead near the harbour, it ended before the boat would pass that little island in front of Lorient. When the game was minimized the collision occured, when it wasn't I sailed home safely. That's why I think it is some bug.

GT182
04-17-07, 03:44 PM
My best guess is.... you HIT a freekin mine. LOL They'll sink you everytime.

Use the pulldown chart in the upper left corner of the Nav map to see where they are. Then plot your course around the mine field. :yep: Most of the ports are shown to keep you out of trouble. ;)

Telgriff
04-17-07, 07:26 PM
I lost one boat by accidentally hitting the continental shelf on the return voyage. It gets pretty shallow in some parts. :o

I ripped up the keel of my Type IX on my trip back to Brest aswell. The water gets suddenly shallow going near Gilbratar. Not nice when you are running at 30m and the sea floor suddenly rises up at you.