PDA

View Full Version : U-572 has fallen on hard times

GoldenRivet
04-17-07, 12:01 AM
One of the commanders i play as a lot has recently upgraded to a Type VIIC out of Lorient. for the past three patrols we have sighted virtually NO ships.

The latest patrol was a long one. Assigned to patrol off the coast of Miami Florida. took a stop at one of the milk cows for fuel. Encountered a convoy of 3 Neutral Tankers in the vicinity of Bermuda. not wanting to take the renown hit i avoided contact.

for days i saw nothing. patrolled off the Florida coast then worked my way north toward Norfolk. Encountered one small tanker with the SHELL logo on the smoke stack. Sent two fish her way and took her out.

Nothing for the rest of the journey.

Went all the way from Lorient to the vicinity of Bermuda down to miami up the east coast to norfolk and back to sink ONE tanker.

this has been the way the past 3 patrols have gone.

The 2 patrols before this one had me down by the canary islands and Gibralter. I evaded plenty of air attacks but never once did i make visual or sound contact with anything remotely resembling a boat. NOT ONE STINKING BOAT.

i guess i can rest easy knowing that i have earned 317,784 tons, the Iron Cross 1st class and 2nd Class, he knights cross with oak leaves swords and diamonds and the front clasp and u-boat badge during the 20 patrols Since september 1939 and survived them all. Now it is 27 August 1942 and im quickly preparing to enter the dreaded 1943 years... i feel that the happy times are going away as targets become harder and harder to come by.

Deathfrombelow23
04-17-07, 07:31 PM
Cheer up! In a couple of years, the type XXI will be available. From about mid-1942 on, my experience becomes... it's better to live to fight another day. Submerge early when attacking convoys... very early... and if they said past because you're too far away... oh well, you survived at least. Don't fight it out w/ Aircraft on the surface... always dive. You will still sink ships, but once the game enters the end of 1942, you won't do so as often or with as much success, unless you put yourself, your boat and your crew in a lot of risky situations. I'd play it safe and wait until April 1944, transfer to Bergen and get a XXI... then stick it to those Allied convoys!! Best of luck, Captain! :rock:

Kpt. Lehmann
04-17-07, 08:03 PM
It would seem that since Enigma was broken... the Allies simply routed traffic away from your area of operations.

Hang in there... the next evolution of the Enigma code will be UNBREAKABLE!!! :arrgh!: