PDA

View Full Version : Strange messages in my head

Rasher
04-16-07, 08:35 PM
Hi Evr1

Just a quick noob question. I've started a career in 39 with 1st Flotilla. During my first patrol i got a radio message saying something like: ssss ssss ssss 46.13N

It was something like that. Is this lat long grid positions for convoys? and if so how can i find them when the map has only AN, AM grid positions etc?

TY;)

nfitzsimmons
04-16-07, 08:49 PM
The hard copy map that comes with the game has major (every 5 degrees) latitude/longitude markings on it.

GoldenRivet
04-16-07, 09:09 PM
That would be SSS SSS then grid coordinates in lat long.

thats the coding the allies used to indicate that they had sighted and been subsequently attacked by a submarine... or that they were sinking as the result of a submarine attack.

It seems like you are using GWX to me by the sound of it. That is added in for decoration, even if you did find those coordinates you would likely find nothing there.

Rasher
04-16-07, 09:56 PM
Ah Thanks very much for that guys. I'am using GWX but wasnt sure if it meant something or not. I suppose i can ignore it now. Do any of you guys know if the career missions ever send you to actual battles or operations that actually happened or do you have to go and find them yourselves independantly of the normal patrol grid missions?

Cheers

GoldenRivet
04-16-07, 10:48 PM
You will get stuff like "ALL U-BOATS IN THE AREA REPORT TO GRID SQUARE BE99 AND PROVIDE ASSISTANCE TO THE BISMARK" (dont recall the exact grid square so i made that one up)

in most cases like the one i just mentioned... if you are close enough you can either sink one of the battleships during the bismark engagement or witness the fight from long range. but you have to be close to them already. for example if the major naval engagement was historically over by 9 or 10 in the morning and you are a days voyage away from the scene of the battle by the time you get there nothing will be there.

If you read your GWX manual from page 113 down it will tell the true histroy behind a particular engagement and then it will tell you how and if it was implemented into GWX... you would be surprised how much is modeled in the game by the GWX team.

you will get a lot of messages from U-boats "SUNK LONE MERCHANT FOR 7,000 TONS IN GRID AK99" or you might see messages like "SERIOUS FUEL LEAK AND MECHANICAL FAILURES WE ARE RETURNING TO BASE" but if you try to locate the "action" behind the messages there are three possible outcomes.

1. It IS modeled in GWX and you will see the event if you get there soon enough
2. It IS modeled in GWX but it is so far away you would never make it in time unless your boat could go 500 miles per hour and by the time you arrive there is nothing there

**or**

3. The message is just for immersion into the experience and though neat... means nothing at all.

usually - in fact most of the time - it is option 3, unless the message pertains to a real historical event such as D-Day, Bismark or the norway invasion...

Rasher
04-16-07, 10:56 PM
Thanks GR! Im gonna take a look at the GWX Manual like you suggested bud.

Rasher

zombiewolf
04-16-07, 11:51 PM
Hey Rasher why are you yelling at us:lol:

Platapus
04-17-07, 01:32 PM
Hey Rasher why are you yelling at us:lol:

Must have pulled too many shifts in the engine room

Rasher
04-17-07, 03:36 PM
Hey guys

Wasnt aware my large writing offended you:) Never seen or heard of a forum where people get so hung up on Text size and colour. I'd say thats a bit racist guys, come on chill out. :):cool:

Sailor Steve
04-17-07, 04:05 PM
"Racist"? How so.

I don't know about "hung up", but when people intentionally write in an odd text it's a little jarring. Nothing wrong with it, just don't see the need.

robbo180265
04-17-07, 04:59 PM
Hey guys

Wasnt aware my large writing offended you:) Never seen or heard of a forum where people get so hung up on Text size and colour. I'd say thats a bit racist guys, come on chill out. :):cool:

I'd say it was Letterist;)

Welcome aboard matey,we're really quite friendly once you get to know us.

Rasher
04-17-07, 05:18 PM
Hey guys

Only kidding Sailor Steve :) Dont worry bout it. I dont really take that much notice of what writing styles im using thats all. Thanks Robbo, i have found you guys extremely helpful so far . I promise not to shout again HONEST!:up:

robbo180265
04-17-07, 05:28 PM
Hey guys

Only kidding Sailor Steve :) Dont worry bout it. I dont really take that much notice of what writing styles im using thats all. Thanks Robbo, i have found you guys extremely helpful so far . I promise not to shout again HONEST!:up:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Brag
04-17-07, 05:28 PM
Racist? I don't race, it ruins the diesels :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Welcome aboard

u-168
05-28-07, 05:55 AM
That's a wierd radio message.

U-168

Jimbuna
05-28-07, 07:20 AM
Welcome aboard kaleun Rasher :arrgh!: