PDA

View Full Version : A little too Quiet

Telgriff
04-15-07, 06:11 PM
Commanding my first Type IXB U-Boat, much prefer this to the smaller though more agile VII's. Currently on my first partol sailing out towards CF84 in August 1940. Have almost reached the grid, sailing in almost perfect weather and calm seas (as calm as the Atlantic is at least), though the entire trip I have yet to encounter a single contact. No aircraft (though it is a bit early in the war for them), not a single hydrophone contact. Either my sonar man is deaf, or I seem to be in a dead section of the sea.

Have been trying to decided where I should shift my hunting grounds to after my 24hr patrol, do any of the IXaholics have an recommendations for good hunting grounds?

Am currently running SH3Commander and the TorpDamage Mod.

melnibonian
04-15-07, 06:14 PM
Since you have an IX boat you can afford to go and hunt in far away seas. Try the areas around Cuba, Curacao, Jamaica, Gulf of Mexico, Miami, New York, Halifax (loads of Convoys there), Freetown, Cape Town and Rio de Janeiro.

Telgriff
04-15-07, 06:46 PM
Thanks for that. Will have a look and map out a good route to get up and back for either Halifax or Freetown for my first patrol :up:

Brag
04-15-07, 08:34 PM
Thanks for that. Will have a look and map out a good route to get up and back for either Halifax or Freetown for my first patrol :up:

If you draw a line from Gibraltar Strait to the edge of the shallow water off Cape San Vicente, you'll find lots of lone merchies along it. Use your hydrophones. :yep: :yep:

Telgriff
04-15-07, 09:46 PM
If you draw a line from Gibraltar Strait to the edge of the shallow water off Cape San Vicente, you'll find lots of lone merchies along it. Use your hydrophones. :yep: :yep:

Duly noted. And if I dont get any contacts, then sonar man is getting keelhauled.:arrgh!:

melnibonian
04-16-07, 05:27 AM
Duly noted. And if I dont get any contacts, then sonar man is getting keelhauled.:arrgh!:
...And if you do get contacts you get the Knight's Cross ;) :arrgh!:

Telgriff
04-16-07, 05:39 PM
Duly noted. And if I dont get any contacts, then sonar man is getting keelhauled.:arrgh!: ...And if you do get contacts you get the Knight's Cross ;) :arrgh!:

Well I already sunk a nice C3 with one torp and a few deck gun shells to the water line. Here's hoping the appearances continue.