PDA

View Full Version : REQ: I Need Another Manual

Meridian
04-14-07, 11:12 AM
Everytime I read a post in here referencing the manual they are talking about a 100+ page manual.

Mine has only 60 pages and it's crap. This is the version I bought:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silent-Hunter-Pacific-Collectors-Exclusive/dp/B000NG36V6

Which versions have this 100+ page manual? & <Edited by Drebbel: Do not ask for exchange of copy right protected material in these forums, thank you>. It doesn't have half the stuff in it some of you guys are talking about. WTF.

Drebbel
04-14-07, 12:02 PM
Mine has 60 too, it came with the Tin Can collectors edition.

The printed recognition manual has 112 pages.

flyingdane
04-14-07, 12:07 PM
Mine has 100 pages but from pg 21-48 is just pics of ships and subs.

flintlock
04-14-07, 12:26 PM
I just downloaded the 100 page pdf someone just posted (file seems to have been removed now), and it's a little better than the 60-pager that came bundled with the DE version.

Nice to have a little larger manual, so thanks.

Egan
04-14-07, 01:22 PM
I was looking over the manual and the extra booklet that came with Silent Hunter Commanders Edition last night: now that is how to do a manual. everything from information on how to get your firing solutions to biogs of various real life skippers and boats plus an entire chapter by the CO of a fleet submarine during the war.

They don't make 'em like that any more.

Teh_Diplomat
04-14-07, 06:49 PM
The Manual that came stock wasn't even useful as a beer coaster...:down:

Meridian
04-14-07, 07:19 PM
I remember the manual from Silent Service too. Microprose knew how to do a decent manual.........sighhhhh. Starting to get all nostalgic now.

flintlock
04-14-07, 07:46 PM
The Manual that came stock wasn't even useful as a beer coaster...:down: The manual that ships with SH4 has been widely criticized as being pretty thin on useful content.

Zengaze
04-14-07, 08:04 PM
Indepth/bedside reading/Paper/ bound manuals are now a thing of the past in the gaming industry, i concur with the groans of nostalgia for proper manuals, but it is a poor reflection on the nature of the modern gaming industry, and is also an intentional move, as they decided they could wrap indpeth manuals up in the title of a "game guide" and sell it over the counter!!!!! that most games now ship with a paltry pdf couple of pages on general controls is another indication of the cynical way games companies now view the gaming public. While i do not endorse piracy of games i fully support freedom of information and the way in which such money-grabbing schemes are being undermined by those who "share the wealth of knowledge" through file sharing. :up:

Long for the likes of falcon 4.0 manual (pdf understandably due to its size, as those of us who read it cover to cover know!) :sunny:

SteamWake
04-14-07, 08:49 PM
I used mine as a coaster.

sqk7744
04-14-07, 09:01 PM
I remember the manual from Silent Service too. Microprose knew how to do a decent manual.........sighhhhh. Starting to get all nostalgic now.

Yup..........http://www.compuglobalhypermeganet.tv/images/sh4/silentservice.jpg

http://www.compuglobalhypermeganet.tv/images/sh4/SilentService1.jpg

TDK1044
04-14-07, 09:19 PM
In my opinion, the worst element of Silent Hunter 4 is the user manual.

Between patches and mods, this game will be perfectly fine for those of us with some level of technical knowledge and a histoty of Silent Hunter 3, but to the casual gamer, who in the end will decide whether or not we get a SH 5, the User Manual is useless.

flintlock
04-14-07, 10:12 PM
to the casual gamer, who in the end will decide whether or not we get a SH 5, the User Manual is useless. Ubi should've saved the money they spent to print that thing and instead slipped in a piece of paper alongside the DVD that simply read: www.subsim.com (http://www.subsim.com)

Ilpalazzo
04-14-07, 10:26 PM
Oh god, agreed. When I got sh4 I felt pretty good because of the big map and rather useless but still neat to have IJN ship thingy. Compared to most manuals I have gotten lately I looked at the thickness and thought, "oh yeah this should be a decent manual." I was wroooong. There is so much information that could have and should have been put in. I felt that they really should have gone more in depth about some aspects of the game like how to finish objectives and heck everything there is to know about the crew management. I don't think I learned anything about crew management from the manual (edit just noticed there were 2 pages on this. not in the contents though). Much of it was pictures of the ships and subs in the game. I feel so dissapointed. Many things I had to learn online on this forum.

Ideally it would have been a cloth map, leather binded recognition manual and a hefty game manual with many historical facts and in depth teachings of the sub's and the game's mechanics.

Sigh, even the training was bogus. I knew it would be when I loaded up navigation training. There I am looking at the new graphics and interface. All of a sudden I see a plane go by. I check it out thinking, "ooh neat airplane." The plane took a straight course to the side of a large hill, destroying itself upon impact. That's when I knew I was in for an annoying experience. Talk about foreboding. Since that I have experienced all the ills there are to experience in sh4.

Oh god and what is with that convoy attack training. Soon as I start there's a dd headed my way looking for me. Did they really make the convoy atttack training mission take place in a scenario where the convoy already knows you're there and is taking evasive action? It took me a while to hit those zagging ships. ugh.

TDK1044
04-14-07, 10:29 PM
to the casual gamer, who in the end will decide whether or not we get a SH 5, the User Manual is useless. Ubi should've saved the money they spent to print that thing and instead slipped in a piece of paper along side the DVD that simply read: www.subsim.com (http://www.subsim.com)

:rotfl:

Ilpalazzo
04-14-07, 11:17 PM
er this 100 page manual you guys seem to like so much. There is only one 100 page manual right? Because the one I have sucks. I don't know what you guys are on about. The reason for a 60 page manual may be because the collectors one comes with a separate recognition manual right? My 100 page manual has about 27 pages of pictures of subs and ships. Is there another better 100 page manual I don't know about?

Chock
04-14-07, 11:45 PM
I've completely disregarded the SH4 manual as I think most people have. You know you're in trouble when you can read a manual from cover to cover whilst drinking one cup of coffee.

Simulations are a lot less prolific than they used to be, and that's hardly surprising when most of them ship without adequate instructions these days, it's hardly a great incentive to get into the genre. For most people who frequent Subsim, that's not too much of a problem, since I suspect many of us have shelves groaning under the weight of books on the subject, and can rely on technical data from other sources for info.

Having said that, the marketing for SH4 seemed to be attempting to entice more casual players, and I can only imagine any of this type of buyer's frustration at attempting to play SH4 with the paltry effort of a manual which comes with it, if that's their only source of info. Well, only source other than the map which comes with the SH4 European edition I bought, and frankly that's not much use since it indicates many locations which aren't even modeled in the simulation. There isn't even an extended manual as a pdf version in the SH4 folder of my installation, merely a quickly slung on pdf identical to the 60 page printed 'manual' in the box - so quickly slung on in fact, that it is the actual artwork pdf, still with the printer's crop marks on it, which is just goddam lazy.

Joking aside, as someone did on this thread, it does actually mention Subsim.com on the box for SH4 and one can only hope that buyers who are new to the world of sub simulations find their way here for help. But it's a pretty poor way to treat customers, particularly in view of the fact that the product also has problems in its currently released version.

I've just counted the number of pages in the Silent Service 2 manual - 128 of them. And that's for a 17 year-old game on exactly the same subject matter, a game that came on floppy disks without half the content which SH4 has.

Rilder
04-15-07, 01:07 AM
I remember the Sim City 2000 or 3000 manual being absoultily huge... same with the Civilization 3 manual, Kinda wish games had big manuals like that, there good to read in bed. :yep:

Antrodemus
04-15-07, 04:00 AM
Way, way back... before I was driving, the most memorable thing about buying a new game was the bus-journey home, where I'd devour as much of the manual content as possible, so I was already well-versed before I'd even installed the game (or inserted the first floppy ;)). These days, if I were to do the same thing, I'd be lucky to get as far as the next bus-stop before the last page, assuming you even get a manual and not just a PDF on the disk...

Thing is though, and I'm not excusing that pathetic excuse we got with SH4; big, thick manuals were discontinued due to rising costs of printing and paper-wastage, and when you consider the sheer quantity of games these days, and frequency with which they're produced (and discarded in favour of "The next bestest thing®"), it's really no surprise that we get little more than a pamphlet now. Also, as packaging shrunk to DVD-size boxes that suppliers/publishers can squeeze more of into deliveries, and hence, retailers get more onto shelves, the end-result is what we see today. Sad (for us), but such is progress...

Meridian
04-15-07, 04:52 AM
Printing costs is no reason for not having a decent manual. They can just put a PDF/word document on disk and just use a printed quickstart kind of manual.

Ilpalazzo: May be right about there being 2 different 100+ page manuals. Someone said on page 100 of their manual it was referencing the chrono and timing of contacts function.

Jungman: I've got the same version as you. Manual isn't worth a damn and the recog manual was a joke. In game shots of the ships at about a 20deg angle front and 45deg looking down. When are you going to be looking down at a ship through your scope, and don't anyone say after you've sunk it. :smug:

Antrodemus
04-15-07, 05:28 AM
Printing costs is no reason for not having a decent manual. They can just put a PDF/word document on disk and just use a printed quickstart kind of manual.

I didn't say it was, and in fact I specifically pointed out that it was no excuse for SH4's pathetic re-hash of the SH3 manual, which in itself was lacking. It's painfully obvious that the manual received nothing more than cursory attention, and a lot of prior-knowledge of the SH series was taken for granted. Not the best way to enlist new "recruits".

I was merely recalling halcyon days, before the world realised we were annihilating rainforests for the sake of a piece of transient technological entertainment that could become landfill within a year or two. That, and the logistical reasons for the miniturisation of game-packaging. I still have maybe 10 (at most) games that I bought 10 or more years ago, complete with their doorstep-manuals that provide enough reading material to justify the cost of the game alone, but the other (probably 100's) games have been discarded to re-sale or succumbed to the ravages of time, children or pets ;), and some of them had the same huge manuals, all now become waste. It would be great if we still got manuals like that, but with very few exceptions, notably complex applications, those days are gone.

TopcatWA
04-15-07, 05:37 AM
:damn: You would think if they wanted to save on print costs UBI would put out a complete manual in pdf format on their game support web-site!!!!!!!

Antrodemus
04-15-07, 05:39 AM
Are people suddenly incapable of interpreting plain English these days??? ...or do they only read three words into a post before hitting the "reply" button?

...you'll excuse me if I refrain from repeating myself, again.

Meridian
04-15-07, 07:50 AM
My comment about putting PDF manuals on disk to save print costs wasn't directed at your comment either. It was a general comment made towards developers.

Maybe take some of your own advice and read a post properly before going all defensive.

Antrodemus
04-15-07, 07:57 AM
Fair enough... you didn't quote or name me directly, but your post did come immediately after mine, and I didn't "go all defensive" at you, I simply responded to what I (not unreasonably) thought to be a counterpoint to mine. Granted, my reply to Teddals was kinda abrasive, but since I'd made my stance pretty much crystal clear by then, his reply seemed to have completely ignored my post directly before his.

Anyway, I guess we're all agreed on one thing; The manual is crap. :up: