PDA

View Full Version : About to get started with SH3 - multiple copies?

MarkShot
04-13-07, 04:19 PM
I should have a copy of SH3 next week. I see that there are three major ways to go with the game:

- stock (or with some minor mods)
- GWX
- NYGM

Should I try to use JSGME to switch between these or should I simply go with three separate installs of the game? (How much space the does the stock game take?).

Also, if I go with multiple installs, will it be sufficient to simply make copies of the stock game folder after patching and copying to two other locations where I mod to GWX and NYGM respectively?

Thanks.

bigboywooly
04-13-07, 04:30 PM
Hi yes you can just copy the stock patched folder

Stock is around 2.4Gb
My GWX 1.03 is around 4.2Gb

Lzs von swe
04-14-07, 04:45 AM
Hi
If you go for multiple installes you should also get MultiSH3. Go here http://www.subsim.com/subsim_files/patches2005_sh3.html to get it and read why you should get it:up:

melnibonian
04-14-07, 04:48 AM
The way to do multiple installation is simple

1. Install a clean version of SH3 in the C\Program Files\Ubisoft\SH3
2. Patch it to 1.4b
3. Copy the whole folder and paste it whenever you want the new installation to be. After that rename it to whatever you like. Let's say GWX.
4. Now put the multiSH3 into the GWX folder and run it. When asked put GWX as the default directory where your careers will be saved.
5. After all this install GWX in the GWX folder, make a shortcut to the desctop and you're ready to play.
6. Now you can install the SH3Cmd 2.7 including all the extra Cfg Files (if needed)
7. After the installation is complete you right-click onto the desktop icon. You click on properties and where it say target you type "C:\Program Files\SH3 Commander\SH3Cmdr.exe" /l:"C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\GWX. Now this is the example of my SH3Cmd that will check the files in the My Documents\GWX folder that is generated by the C\Program Files\Ubisoft\GWX installation. After that this particular installation of SH3Cmd is linked to that installation of SH (GWX in this case).

I would suggest you do a different installation of SH3Cmd for each different installation of SH you have. That way you don't get the SH3Cmd confused and you don't mess up things.

Also I would suggest to leave the clean patched version of SH3 in the C\Program Files\Ubisoft\SH3 untouched as that way you can always copy it and paste it to add new mods. If you want to make new installations always copy and paste this folder and DO NOT USE the Installer of SH3 again (at least not for as long as the game is already installed)

Jimbuna
04-14-07, 04:59 AM
Mel....I think you need to update your archived doc :D
Your making no reference to the SH3Cmdr cfg file matey ;) :up:

melnibonian
04-14-07, 05:03 AM
Mel....I think you need to update your archived doc :D
Your making no reference to the SH3Cmdr cfg file matey ;) :up:
Jim you're correct. Document and post edited ;)

Jimbuna
04-14-07, 05:32 AM
:know: :up: