Ducimus
04-12-07, 08:13 PM
I think I cant read your black text.

Allow me to summerize:
http://www.leskincaid.com/wine/wine%20server.jpg

clayton
04-12-07, 08:41 PM
What!!!??? The games buggy!!!???

How come no one tells me these things!!!???

John Channing
04-12-07, 08:43 PM
what I think of SH4.
One day it will be a good simulator.
In maybe sex months or a year, as it is they made it for
Games players not simulator players,
And it’s full of bugs
Every night I download the new mod’s and adds them to the game,
And slowly it’s turning in to a true simulator
But I still cannot sink a ship using the TDC manually my clock don’t
Work so I can not find out how fast the ship is moving so the ship goes
One way and my torp.s go the other every time they must have thought
Gamers will use the TDC on auto it does not matter if it doesn’t work
Just another bug in a buggy game

For the most part the TDC works fine. If you are using the fast speed setting on the torpedos then they will probably miss behind the target becase they don't actually run at fast speed. But if your torpedos are going in the wrong direction they you are putting incorrect data into the TDC. There is a problem with attacks from the port side after the the ship reaches a 90 degree AOB, but that is not the problem you are describing.

There are a number of threads here that will help you get better at it, plus a video Neal did showing you, step by step, what you will need to do.

As far as the stopwatch function goes, in reality there was no magic stopwatch on real Subs.. Captains had to use their experience and advanced mathmatic to figure out the speed of a target. In this SH4 is a true simulator.

JCC

CCIP
04-12-07, 08:43 PM
I wish I had sex months :doh:

clayton
04-12-07, 08:47 PM
I wish I had sex in six months :lol:

CCIP
04-12-07, 08:59 PM
I wish I had sex in six months :lol:

Well stop playing SH4 :rotfl:

clayton
04-12-07, 09:06 PM
I can't stop!

wait a minute...

there...better...

I can't stop! :oops:

Drokkon
04-12-07, 09:25 PM
Chad your wrong the navigator used his mastery of mathematics not the capt. The capt gave the numbers to the navigator and weapons officer and the put the numbers to work.. I spent 4 years on the bridge of a US warship and never did the capt do the navigators job. He would ask questions about different course changes and time how long it was to get the answer to build morale but never did anyone elses job. Heck he would even ask the deck crew questions on the station they were standing. Never to demean, but to build confidence and morale.

The only thing the chronometer is simulating now is that your navigator is in his rack and not at his station.

Radtgaeb
04-12-07, 10:02 PM
Ah, I remember when I used to Auto-speed....wait, that was only a month ago.

Dude, use the 3:15 rule, or r=D/T, or you could just guesstimate by viewing bow and stern waves.....but....true studs don't use the auto-speed :cool:.

Drokkon
04-12-07, 10:33 PM
Why should I? I stood watches in RL now I want to be the man who makes all the decisions. I don't see a mini game to simulate the cooks job in SHIV.Food poisoning will affect crew preformance and morale. Maybe they need to add this so I can truly immerse myself in submarine life. Lets not forget to check oil levels of the diesels every watch, and sticking the diesel fuel tanks and reporting the amount.

I'm tired of people saying deal with it. We are letting them know what we want. Somehow they missed this issue in 2 patches. I'm not asking for the devs to be beaten. I just want them to focus on this issue and the dying crew and any other game play buggs before they tweak graphics again.

mookiemookie
04-12-07, 10:34 PM
I, for one, am extremely relieved that someone told us that there were bugs in the game. Can you imagine me continuing to have a great time playing the game, working around the bugs, secure in the knowledge that the next patch was fixing most every critical one?

Man...glad I was told otherwise.

PS: Sex ain't as good as sinking a carrier. But I guess it depends on who you're doin! :rotfl:

Sagan
04-12-07, 10:41 PM
I wish I had sex months in six months.

Wow we just came up with a tongue twister.

We should start writting a tongue twister book.

1.write it
2. ????
3. profit!!

Drokkon
04-12-07, 10:52 PM
Mookie for most people TDC and crew deaths were high on alot of peoples lists of buggs. Makes me wonder you hinted before that you were beta testing the patch or atleast had the ear of someone who was. Since the beta testers may use work arounds for these issues they are not important to them, so they let the community down be pushing other things. Then turn around and try to belittle us for asking what happened to these issues in the latest patch to be released.

mookiemookie
04-13-07, 06:17 AM
Mookie for most people TDC and crew deaths were high on alot of peoples lists of buggs. Makes me wonder you hinted before that you were beta testing the patch or atleast had the ear of someone who was. Since the beta testers may use work arounds for these issues they are not important to them, so they let the community down be pushing other things. Then turn around and try to belittle us for asking what happened to these issues in the latest patch to be released.

The TDC is fixed in the new patch. Sorry for being coarse. Cheers.

John Channing
04-13-07, 11:58 AM

Not the way Beta testing works, at least with patches.

Having been involved in a number of them over the years they way it usually works is that the developers will supply you with a test .exe and a list of things they think are fixed. The Beta testers (the good ones, anyway) will try out the items listed as fixed to confirm that they are indeed fixed and working on a variety of different PC configurations. Then they check to see if the process of fixing the items on the list has inadvertently broken something else. If they find something that the patch has broken they report back, and then back to square 1.

Any developer worth their salt (and these certainly are) is aware of most of the faults, and tracks the forums to look for ones they may have missed.

They will fix what they can, in order of priority. The trouble is one person's low priority is another's show stopper.

I can tell you that a number of the people at Subsim.com have been very helpful to the developers of SH4:WOTP in tracking down things and spotting things that were missed.

JCC

Drokkon
04-13-07, 02:09 PM
I'm glad to hear the chrono is being fixed. Again I need to disagree with Chad. I've beta tested only 5 different game products. The devs would start polls on the beta forums of what they should focus on next.

Now being invited to beta do to your affiliation of this site, I would think they did it since you have the pulse of the community. I maybe wrong ,but I felt that the chronometer, crew deaths, message board,toning down plane attacks(not a bug), crash dive of death, and A-key ctd were pretty high on the list.After the second page I stopped readig since they seemed to repeat.

cappy70
04-13-07, 04:25 PM
Give the game a chance.

They're working on the little "buggers":up: :up:

John Channing
04-13-07, 06:26 PM
I'm glad to hear the chrono is being fixed. Again I need to disagree with Chad. I've beta tested only 5 different game products. The devs would start polls on the beta forums of what they should focus on next.

Now being invited to beta do to your affiliation of this site, I would think they did it since you have the pulse of the community. I maybe wrong ,but I felt that the chronometer, crew deaths, message board,toning down plane attacks(not a bug), crash dive of death, and A-key ctd were pretty high on the list.After the second page I stopped readig since they seemed to repeat.

I have no idea who Chad is, but I will respond anyway.

Firstly I did not mean to give the impression that I was involved with the Beta or Patch testing for SH4, If I did I am sorry.

Secondly there was really no need to post a poll. This community made their thoughts very clear.

To your second point one thing that I was involved with that I can confirm was working with Neal to tabulate the "complaints", rank them in order of the number of unique requests, rank them in order of apparent severity, tabulate the results and forward them on to the developers.

The patch list I have seen for 1.2 tells me that they were listening to the community. The ones that got the most attention from the community seem to be the ones that got the most attention in getting fixed.

One problem is that you have a few individuals here (and everywhere else) that spam just about every thread with their own personal crusade for the thing(s) they feel are important. This can create the illusion that a problem is more referenced that it actually is... and creates one hell of a headache for people who are actually trying to do something positive, as opposed to just venting their anguish.

As to the Chronometer, where did you see it was being fixed? I must have missed that.

JCC

Drokkon
04-13-07, 09:20 PM
Sorry I ment John Channing.Kids distracting me. You keep saying it's beyond our comprehension or it's not realistic. Thats why I disagree with you. You were right about the job of a beta tester you just ignored the fact that the dev team also look to the beta testers to list which detracts most from the game and which problems should be tackled right away.

Without features like chronometer it doesn't simulate being a capt of a boat. What some people tend to want simulated is after sailing out of port you hit your rack, and when you awaken 2/3rds of your crew is missing. Leaving you with only topedomen and engineers.