PDA

View Full Version : Strategy for ships coming directly at you

DMB3428
04-12-07, 07:07 PM
Hello, lomac/IL2/fsx simmer here new to subs. I jumped right into using the manual targeting and looking for advice when in a situation with a ship heading directly at you....Go head to head or dive and avoid depth charges and wait for a more presentable shot ? My accuracy drops with torps if they are point in my direction. thx.......currently addicted to this game even with the bugs lol:D

Sagan
04-12-07, 07:09 PM
Hey, I'm from hyperlobby too. I have all those 3 games installed. Infact I've played forgotten battles today. I'm brand new to this SH4 sub game. Good to see people like me :)

DMB3428
04-12-07, 07:15 PM
Hey, I'm from hyperlobby too. I have all those 3 games installed. Infact I've played forgotten battles today. I'm brand new to this SH4 sub game. Good to see people like me :) Hey, been flying for years in various games. Now have a new respect for subs and naval warfare, been playing this game most everyday now since release!

Teh_Diplomat
04-12-07, 07:25 PM
You best bet if the ship is facing you is to A) Get into a better position, by tracking his course, then moving away and wait for him to approach you or B) If being charged by a DD then crash dive and 20 degrees to Port/Starboard(best angle for rudder without loss of speed) to avoid the depthcharges.

If you want to try an attack from directly infront, open your recognition manual, look for the draft of the ship(the height of hull under the waterline, and add 1m(2m in rough weather) and set your Torpedo's to Magnetic detonation.

SteamWake
04-12-07, 08:48 PM
Well if this was SH3 I would tell you to fire a fast shot 1 meter beneath the keel with magnetic influince pistol.

In SH4 I have had absolutly no luck with this tactic.

Gildor
04-12-07, 09:01 PM
Thats because the contact/contact influence switch is reversed right now. Try a magnetic shot wit hte switch in the contact position vice contact influence.

Contact shots are actually magnetic shots.

Tobowsi
04-13-07, 02:02 AM
I've had no problems with the contact and contact/influence switch being messed up. The only problem I have run into is that the drafts listed in the recognition manual are pretty much worthless. If I use a depth of 8 for destroyers or 16 for cruisers, I've had no problems with keel shots.

If I try a keel shot with the switch on contact, the torpedo goes harmlessly underneath the target and merrily on its way into oblivion. I have to make sure the setting is on contact/influence.

The contact/influence switch explodes on contact, though, so that works fine.

I have the "crash on loading game" bug, but I obviously don't have any issues with this supposed bug. If I choose one mechanism for detonating the torpedo (contact only), it works fine. When I choose two mechanisms for detonation (contact and influence), then it just depends on the depth of the torpedo as to which method is used for detonating, so it works fine there as well. I've just had to find correct depth settings and figure whether I want to do a keel shot or direct impact and go from there.

joea
04-13-07, 05:36 AM
Thats because the contact/contact influence switch is reversed right now. Try a magnetic shot wit hte switch in the contact position vice contact influence.

Contact shots are actually magnetic shots.

Are you sure about that? I've heard that is not the case but was a rumour.

mookiemookie
04-13-07, 06:20 AM
But in the case of a destroyer coming straight at you...you move your a$$ down on the PDQ! ;)