PDA

View Full Version : Some time on the treadmill anyone?

scalelokt
04-12-07, 12:49 PM
So is it just me or does the crew of an american sub look like they could use a few laps around the gym? :rotfl:

Not complaining, this isnt a "bug" report or anything. But the german crew looks like some mean mofos you wouldnt want to mess with. The guys in SH4 look like they just came from "Cheers" and havent seen some exercise in a while. My nav guy looks like he's working on quite a beer gut there. War is hell I guess, I'd be at the bar more than the gym myself back in '42. I thought it was funny though, has anyone else noticed? It might be realistic, though I think its pretty funny. I thought most of the people in WW2 were 18 - 25 or so. These guys look late 30's and pretty out of shape. :rotfl: Eh maybe its just me....

Egan
04-12-07, 12:53 PM
Pfft, I look like I ate the gym just now...the boys on the sub look like toothpicks to me. :nope:

flintlock
04-12-07, 12:55 PM
I think the new character models are well done (much better than SH3). With respect to the body shape, I like how Ubi have used a diversity of body builds. Adds variety and enhances the game in its own way.

scalelokt
04-12-07, 01:02 PM
"I think the new character models are well done (much better than SH3). With respect to the body shape, I like how Ubi have used a diversity of body builds. Adds variety and enhances the game in its own way."

I agree! :D
SH3 characters seemed pretty robotic to me and not too realistic. The crew in SH4 definitly looks more.... real. Not sure how else to say it. I cant help but laugh when I see my nav guy though. I think SH4 is really shaping up though, the new patch sounds promising and I'm really happy with how everything is going. 6 months from now this is going to be a classic subsim, its already a lot of fun, but it will only get better. :up:

AVGWarhawk
04-12-07, 01:03 PM
The characters are pretty good. One does look like he is to old to be a watchman on my tower. But then again who care as long as he is spotting ships.

I do not not suspect there was a lot of exersice on a submarine so the starchy potatoes kind of put on a 15 lbs after 5 weeks at sea:smug:

flintlock
04-12-07, 01:15 PM
Perhaps inhaling all that diesel fuel slows down one's metabolism. :)

Elder-Pirate
04-12-07, 01:30 PM
@ scalelokt & Egan,
You have to be kidding?? Before SH4 hit the shelves people were complaining about SH3 sailors being to chunky and all looked alike. We wanted the AI sailors to look more like the average human in the service, not all weight lifters. ;)

Aboard the EDD I was on ( sig ) in 1955 I was 18 years old @ 172lbs 5'11" and thought I could handle my own weight ( well sometimes anyway :oops: ). Most of the men aboard were in very good shape but very few husky weight lifting champs like SH3.

Of all the bugs in SH4 I think the SH4 Devs did a very good job on the AI characters and they do look more to life.

The complaint I have about the AI characters is not the men but the missing women on any shore in the Sim. :-? They were also in the service,so why not put some "Waves" on those docks SH4? :arrgh!:

Oh Oh wonder what shes writing up ? The nylons all askew probably? And that bottom bunk is a mess.:rotfl:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/oleman/Wroteup.jpg

And we definitely need the nurses :yep:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/oleman/Hospwave.jpg

scalelokt
04-12-07, 01:53 PM
I agree competly, the character models in SH4 are great. I was just trying to get some laughs, not make a complaint about the game. Seems everyone is so sensitive since SH4 release. Its understandable though, some people are really disappointed, some people are trying to be optimistic and getting sick of all the complaining. I'm not complaining though, the game has flaws but I love it and the new patch is going to make it even better. My advice to anyone would be to buy the game and enjoy it, its a great sequel.

AVGWarhawk
04-12-07, 02:02 PM
@Elder,

My aunt was a WAVE. She overseen 35 nurses. You talk about a tough bird after she came home after the war.:o One gets pretty tough keeping 35 young nurses away from the crews:yep: and the crews away from the nurses.

Snowman999
04-13-07, 11:54 AM
So is it just me or does the crew of an american sub look like they could use a few laps around the gym? :rotfl:

It's not the worst thing about the game, but yeah, the crew is pretty fat for the early-40s. (Look at reams of photos on-line.) They also have hair way too long and non-reg facial hair when leaving port.

I like the different heights and body types. One officer's head is mostly bald (yay!) One guy has a Clark Gable 'stash. But they're dumpy.

More than that, and I understand Ubi is in Romania, but the voice-overs just blow the immersion for me. They all sound like Kansas newsreaders or SoCal surfers. Americans in 1941 had THICK regional accents--way more than today. We need the Bronx, Appalachia, West Texas, Atlanta, North Dakota, Boston. Too much to ask for at this point I know, but in future . . .

joea
04-13-07, 01:20 PM

It's not the worst thing about the game, but yeah, the crew is pretty fat for the early-40s. (Look at reams of photos on-line.) They also have hair way too long and non-reg facial hair when leaving port.

I like the different heights and body types. One officer's head is mostly bald (yay!) One guy has a Clark Gable 'stash. But they're dumpy.

More than that, and I understand Ubi is in Romania, but the voice-overs just blow the immersion for me. They all sound like Kansas newsreaders or SoCal surfers. Americans in 1941 had THICK regional accents--way more than today. We need the Bronx, Appalachia, West Texas, Atlanta, North Dakota, Boston. Too much to ask for at this point I know, but in future . . .

Ah yea, never thought of that....people moved around (work and school wise) less in those days. (Pay my location no mind my family were a bit exceptional). Heard from British and European collegues the same held true in the "old countries."

Modders can take care of that however.

Bilge_Rat
04-13-07, 01:49 PM
They also have hair way too long and non-reg facial hair when leaving port.

you have a point about the facial hair. ideally, they would leave port clean shaven and gradually grow beards. You would also see much more casual clothing as the patrol went on. I have seen many photos of crewmen wearing just shorts or only t-shirts as top, but those are minor points.

AVGWarhawk
04-13-07, 02:00 PM
They also have hair way too long and non-reg facial hair when leaving port.

you have a point about the facial hair. ideally, they would leave port clean shaven and gradually grow beards. You would also see much more casual clothing as the patrol went on. I have seen many photos of crewmen wearing just shorts or only t-shirts as top, but those are minor points.

They did not make dynamic beards in the game:hmm:. Men wearing shorts and t-shirts....Pacific, hot, :yep:. Silent running, no A/C or fans blowing, shirts off sweating:yep:. I can see the shorts and t-shirts.

The modelled sailors look much better than the SH3 sailors with the just chiselled look.

E.Hartmann
04-13-07, 02:57 PM
They are just slouching is all. When your sub is sinking into the abyss they all toss off their shirts and look like body builders!

Sailor Steve
04-13-07, 04:44 PM
There's no room on your sub for a treadmill! If you want them to lose weight just get rid of the ice-cream machine! And cut out the steak dinners! And Spaghetti!

Snowman999
04-13-07, 06:14 PM

There's an officer in service dress blues in one of the menu screens with a full beard as well. No beards in the war years.

I think (someone will correct me) that dungarees and a white T-shirt was an approved enlisted working uniform. Since it carried no rating insignia you couldn't go to the pier in it, but it was good onboard in the tropics.

On patrol it was OK to cease shaving and go to more comfortable uniforms, although many officers stayed in khakis. I think a lot of forward watchstanders wore woven flip-flops as well. On my SSBN we were allowed to grow beards on patrol, wear "patrol shoes" (I wore Topsiders with my poopy suit), and "patrol hats", usually baseball caps.

Snowman999
04-13-07, 06:15 PM
The modelled sailors look much better than the SH3 sailors with the just chiselled look.

Overall I agree, but the officers need insignia. Right now they look like a painting crew.

CybrSlydr
04-13-07, 07:12 PM

Now, I dunno what you consider Appalachia, but where I'm originally from (south East Ohio, just on the other side of the river from West Virginia) is considered Appalachia.

You need a voice for a mod, lemme know. :know:

pocatellodave
04-13-07, 07:26 PM
Overall discipline on Subs, as far as adhering to regulations, was far less than say a Battleship sailor had to endure.what you wore,or didn't wear was not a cause for any discipline.However your performance at your job was highly scrutinized,and any foul ups would quickly be dealt with.Any young Ensigns that thought they needed to run a tight reign,were usually taken aside,and given a pep talk by the more senior officers.
Pocatellodave

Snowman999
04-13-07, 08:54 PM
Now, I dunno what you consider Appalachia, but where I'm originally from (south East Ohio, just on the other side of the river from West Virginia) is considered Appalachia.

You need a voice for a mod, lemme know. :know:

That area would work, although I was thinking more western NC or far western VA (Wise County.)

I don't do mods unfortunately, but I'd bet that collectively we have most US accents represented here. I can do a Tidewater, a Piedmont, a Minnesota (south), and a little Hawaiian pidgin.

I know of a great Fargo accent (almost Canadian), but unfortunatley she wouldn't fit in too well in Control. <g>

jdski
04-14-07, 07:15 AM
These guys look out of shape?

http://lh6.google.com/image/jwdski/RiDEy762SYI/AAAAAAAAAIk/7CEfcVkro8k/SH4Img%408-4-2007_0.45.16_46.jpg?imgmax=512

Safe-Keeper
04-14-07, 07:47 AM
I like the variety of body shapes. Far more realistic than the Hollywood approach of letting everything be crewed by super models.