PDA

View Full Version : Kill the clipboard!

DeepSix
04-11-07, 09:09 PM
Please! That blasted clipboard takes 3 full minutes to load on a 2.4 CoreDuo with 2 gigs of RAM and 2 7900 GTX cards - what is going on here? Meanwhile, Harry James is playing "Ciribiri- ciribiri- ciribiri- ciribiri- ciribiribin" while the image loads.

Yeah, I'm whining a little bit, here, but only because the problem is ridiculous enough to deserve it. For God's sake, most of what's on the clipboard is merely a repetition of what you can already read in the dialog box -- "Convoy at long/lat...." etc.

Why not do away with the convoy sightings messages on the clipboard; save it for Fox and PacNews and Ultra instead -- the more unusual messages, in other words.

While I'm on it -- part of the frustration with the clipboard is that so many of these messages are for stuff going on far, far away from wherever I happen to be. For instance, I get sent to the Java Sea (from Pearl Harbor, no less, which is also a bit off, IMO), and once I'm there I get a 3-minute wait to learn that my presence is strongly desired off Midway Island. Well I'm just as sorry as I can be, but I'm disinclined to acquiesce to that request. I'm a little busy right now, because I'm out of torpedoes and still have 1000 miles to go before I get to a friendly gas station.

Ok, 'nuff complaining. I just think the game could be that much better.

1. Lose the duplicate messages on the clipboard since they're already in the dialog box.
2. For the early war period, divide the Pacific into historically realistic command areas - if you operate from Pearl, you spend most of your time off the home islands. You don't get a patrol assignment that's farther than the gas tank will allow. You can top off at Midway (as was done historically), but you should also be able to make it back at least that far at 2/3 speed (somebody correct me if I'm wrong on that). If you operate from Manila/Soerabaja/Australia, you patrol the DEI and roughly as far up as the Philippines. Again, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the division of command was between the Philippines and the Home Islands.

Just my opinions, here; I know there's a lot to work on for upcoming patches, but I figured I post because to my mind this is one incredible nuisance that could easily be fixed.

John Channing
04-11-07, 09:12 PM
Funny thing is that I get no delay in opening the clipboard at all, and I have been on patrol for 3 weeks.

I open it everytime I get a message and, so far, no delays at all. Perhaps the problem is if you let too many unread messages pile up?

JCC

Gildor
04-11-07, 09:14 PM
Install the contact message mod and you wont have this problem anymore. Check the mod list.

DeepSix
04-11-07, 09:21 PM
Hmmm... maybe... that could be making it worse; I usually read them all as they come in until the load time gets too long and then start ignoring them.... I sort of think it's the sheer volume of information the game is tracking that does it. This sighting here, that one there, friendlies over here, bad guys over there, meanwhile your course is this way, etc. Plus the audio for the occasional news broadcast. Anyway - that's not a very "tech" belief, but it seems like the more cluttered the map gets, the slower the clipboard gets.

MONOLITH
04-11-07, 09:28 PM
? Meanwhile, Harry James is playing "Ciribiri- ciribiri- ciribiri- ciribiri- ciribiribin" while the image loads.

LMAO! :yep:

I have to say, not so much due to the loading, but I'm not a big fan of the clipboard.

I miss the bigger log from SH3, and as a side note, I also miss the captains room. I play in real time, and I used to like setting the screen back to the captains quarters for the long trips while I did other stuff in the real world. Just felt right. I don't like standing in the command room for days on end.

I need my "personal space", as all captains should. :cool:

Jungman
04-11-07, 09:59 PM
Looks like there was going to be a captain's room, there is a 3D model in the data files, along with the normal command and sonar rooms.

Guess it got cut in the rush out the door.

MONOLITH
04-11-07, 10:04 PM
Here's hoping big for the 1.2 patch.....

Onkel Neal
04-11-07, 10:14 PM
You think you have it bad... I'm getting messages on the clipboard from Subsim players asking how to play the game, they need their password reset, they want a name change... I can't get away from that even on SH4 patrol :doh:

SirJAG
04-12-07, 12:14 AM
? Meanwhile, Harry James is playing "Ciribiri- ciribiri- ciribiri- ciribiri- ciribiribin" while the image loads.

LMAO! :yep:

I have to say, not so much due to the loading, but I'm not a big fan of the clipboard.

I miss the bigger log from SH3, and as a side note, I also miss the captains room. I play in real time, and I used to like setting the screen back to the captains quarters for the long trips while I did other stuff in the real world. Just felt right. I don't like standing in the command room for days on end.

I need my "personal space", as all captains should. :cool:

you play in real time?? from start to finish? wow, my patrols go like 3weeks, no way i could do that in real time......

darksythe
04-12-07, 12:16 AM
You think you have it bad... I'm getting messages on the clipboard from Subsim players asking how to play the game, they need their password reset, they want a name change... I can't get away from that even on SH4 patrol :doh:

Lol thats quite a mod you got there.

Von Hinten
04-12-07, 12:28 AM
It's little details like those that make this such a great sim Neal. The sheer amount of detail the devs put into sims these days is astounding. :up:

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Grunt
04-12-07, 12:39 AM
Noted, and I stopped reading ANY of the radio traffic after day 2.

Its just not worth the misery.

MONOLITH
04-12-07, 06:02 AM
you play in real time?? from start to finish? wow, my patrols go like 3weeks, no way i could do that in real time......

I should clarify that with a "not always", but enough that I spend quite a bit of time actually sailing to my destination, ala 'true simulation', as opposed to warping there.

I use the Time compression sparingly here and there to speed some things up, but for the most part I drive a submarine, not the Starship Enterprise. :smug:

Grothesj2
04-12-07, 06:06 AM
Soooo...have yet to see your first enemy ship then becuase you are still on your way to the patrol area? :D

GnarPow
04-12-07, 06:37 AM
The contact table mod fixed this problem right away for me... now it doesnt take long at all to load my messages up.

longam
04-12-07, 07:09 AM
Mine was fine until changed a cfg file for the planes, then it was the three min wait. After my patrol ended the next patrol it was working again.

AVGWarhawk
04-12-07, 07:20 AM
The contact table mod fixed this problem right away for me... now it doesnt take long at all to load my messages up.

Welcome aboard! You will find some of the finest modders in the world on this forum:yep:. This little beauty of a mod that saved the day for me is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to what this community can do with the SH series.:rock:

Redwine
04-12-07, 07:55 AM
Please! That blasted clipboard takes 3 full minutes to load on a 2.4 CoreDuo with 2 gigs of RAM and 2 7900 GTX cards
Hi DeepSix....

There is around there a modification made by ParaB .... wich reduce the range of notifications, i don have now the link but i made my own.

EDIT :

ParaB mod here :

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=108959

I found i never attempt to catch any contact beyond 500km. So i reduced all contacts reports at 500km

500km is more than enough, it works fine for me, i dont know wich settings had used paraB, but you can try them.

To make your own...

(be sure you made a back-up of your file before, may be you dont like the changes)

1]

Go to :

Data\Cfg

Open the file Contacts.cfg

And change the following lines :

Display Range To Opportunity Radio Contacts=500 ;[>0] kilometers
Display Range To Important Radio Contacts=500 ;[>0] kilometers

Plus, i reduce all the Pac. News.... i only let the most important, and change the settings on them, to be not repetitive, and be send only one time. This is explained at the top of the file menu.txt, you can change it.

in example 0 means the message is send only one time, and 1 means it will be send repetitive. I put all tehm to zero.

And rise up the transmit interval to one day, 1440 minutes.

2]

Go to :

Data\Campaigns\Campaign

Open the file menu.txt

Erase all text inside....

and copy and paste the following lines.

#Date (Begin Transmision) Time (Begin Transmision) Date (End Transmision) Time (End Transmision) Message Type ( 0 = transmit once , 1 = transmit until received ) Probability (%) Retransmision Interval (minutes) Priority (0=High 1=Low) @FROM@ ^TO^ &TITLE& [INVOLVED SHIPS,INVOLVED SHIPS] Message content
19411207 1755 19411207 1900 0 100 1440 0 @PEARL HARBOR^…^&Fox Traffic&AIR RAID PEARL HARBOR X THIS IS NOT DRILL X
19411209 1800 19411209 2300 0 100 1440 0 @...@^...^&Pac News&CHINA HAS DECLARED WAR ON JAPAN OFFICIALLY X IT’S ABOUT DAMNED TIME X
19411211 1800 19411211 2300 0 100 1440 0 @...@^...^&Pac News&GERMANY AND ITALY DECLARE WAR ON THE UNITED STATES X THE US CONGRESS WILL NOT BE OUTDONE AND DECLARES WAR ON GERMANY AND ITALY X JAPANESE FORCES HAVE BEEN TURNED BACK AT WAKE ISLAND X GOOD JOB BOYS X
19420125 1800 19420125 2300 0 100 1440 0 @...@^...^&Pac News&THAILAND SIDES WITH JAPANESE X DECLARES WAR ON ENGLAND AND USA X JAPANESE TROOPS HAVE BEGUN OPERATIONS IN SOLOMAN ISLANDS X
19450428 1800 19450428 2300 0 100 1440 0 @...@^...^&Pac News&BENITO MUSSOLINI CAPTURED AND EXECUTED BY ITALIAN PARTISANS X
19450430 1800 19450430 2300 0 100 1440 0 @...@^...^&Pac News&RUSSIAN SOURCES STATE THAT ADOLPH HITLER IS CONFIRMED DEAD IN BERLIN X
19450507 1800 19450507 2300 0 100 1440 0 @...@^...^&Pac News&VICTORY IN EUROPE X GERMANY SURRENDERS UNCONDITIONALLY TO ALLIED FORCES X CEASEFIRE EFFECTIVE TONIGHT AT 1 MINUTE PAST MIDNIGHT WITH GERMAN FORCES X
19450508 0001 19450508 2359 0 100 1440 0 @COMSUBPAC@^...^&Fox Traffic&EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY ALL VESSELS FLYING GERMAN COLORS ARE NOW NEUTRAL X DO NOT FIRE UNLESS FIRED UPON X
19450809 1800 19450809 2300 0 100 1440 0 @...@^...^&Pac News&NAGASAKI JAPAN IS BOMBED BY DEVASTATING NEW ATOMIC WEAPON X
19450815 1800 19450815 2300 0 100 1440 0 @...@^...^&Pac News&EMPORER HIROHITO UNCONDITIONALLY SURRENDERS JAPAN TO US AND BRITISH FORCES X
19450815 1900 19450816 1200 0 100 1440 0 @COMSUBPAC@^...^&Fox Traffic&EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY ALL VESSELS FLYING JAPANESE COLORS ARE NOW NEUTRAL X DO NOT FIRE UNLESS FIRED UPON X STAY ALERT X
19450902 1800 19450902 2300 0 100 1440 0 @...@^...^&Pac News&JAPAN HAS SIGNED ARTICLES OF SURRENDER ON USS MISSOURI IN TOKYO BAY X

After these changes no more clipboard hang up... :up:

I whish it can help... :up:

tommyk
04-12-07, 08:29 AM
Please! That blasted clipboard takes 3 full minutes to load on a 2.4 CoreDuo with 2 gigs of RAM and 2 7900 GTX cards - what is going on here? Meanwhile, Harry James is playing "Ciribiri- ciribiri- ciribiri- ciribiri- ciribiribin" while the image loads.

Hahaha, great write DeepSix! I had the same pain. The little radio mod from ParaB fixes this (until it is hopefully fixed).

SteamWake
04-12-07, 08:42 AM

Me thinks its time for a vacation !