PDA

View Full Version : Video card question

shad43
04-11-07, 11:32 AM
Im currently using an ATI x1600 512 PCIe, its an ok card, runs the game fine but this particular card has well know overheating issues and I find ATI drivers to be buggy most of the time (always been an nVidea guy) anyway I also have a GeForce 6600 128 its also an ok card ran, SHIII well but is miles apart from the x1600 performance wise.
I see the 6600 is supported by SH4, is anybody running one?
Also Im thinking about getting a cheap card to tide me over until I can afford a new system (I have 2 teenage daughters = no money for Dad's toys!) my system only has a 300 watt ps so my choices are limited...I've found a Geforce 7300 that looks to strike a compromise between the aformentioned cards but see that the game does not support it...is anyone running one?

Cheers :D

(maybe this should have been in tech, oop's sorry Gizz)

AVGWarhawk
04-11-07, 12:04 PM
I see a lot are looking but not writing. I believe your ATI card will out perform the Nividia card. There is a new driver 7.3 for the ATI card. It is stable on my X1300 XGE 512mb card. This card runs the game very well. I did read about the GeForce 7300.....game will run poorly on this card. The 6600 card, a step up from my 6200 card...this 6200 card ran the game badly. I feel you will get no gain with the 6600 card.....IMHO.

I recommend the new ATI drivers and tweek it for best pic/performance:yep:

shad43
04-11-07, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the reply Hawk, Im fairly happy with the x1600 its just the heat issue, I even have an oversized case fan, it helps some, most of the time theres no problem but on occasion the card will simply shut down, a restart fixes the problem but you never know when its gonna happen...man its so hard not to mention expensive to keep up with tech these days.
I was running 7.1 cats, I'll update now.

Thanks, this was exactly the kind of info I needed :D

AVGWarhawk
04-11-07, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the reply Hawk, Im fairly happy with the x1600 its just the heat issue, I even have an oversized case fan, it helps some, most of the time theres no problem but on occasion the card will simply shut down, a restart fixes the problem but you never know when its gonna happen...man its so hard not to mention expensive to keep up with tech these days.
I was running 7.1 cats, I'll update now.

I have the 1300 and heat seems to be OK. I have done nothing for more cooling. I guess you tried the old canned air to clean off dust? Fan doing its thing? Make more vent holes?

Maybe some guys with this card might have the answer to the heat problem you are having.

SteamWake
04-11-07, 12:46 PM
Its curious that you mentioned the power supply.

Let me relate and experience I have had.

I purchased an X1800 and installed it in my machine. It whistled and whined and the little fan was running its bearings off untill...... POP and the machine quit. It took about 2 hours.

I had blown the fuse in the power supply. I went out and bought a new larger power supply. After installation the fan on the video card now just idles and cruises along. Ive had no problems since.

My theroy is that the old smaller supply could not keep the voltage at necessary levels causing an increase in the current therefore increasing the heat.

Anyhow it is good that you have figured in your power supply in the considerations and werent a dummy like me ;)

FIREWALL
04-11-07, 12:48 PM
Hi I'm asumeing it's an AGP card. From TigerDirect got a xgx7600gs 512mb
ddr2 8x $150.00 Didn't want to spend the money but the game plays sweet at full power. Later this year new rig and a pair of "88's" SLI. :D

Snuffy
04-11-07, 12:54 PM
I run mine with an SLI pair of nVidia 7600 GS cards. Runs just fine.

AVGWarhawk
04-11-07, 12:57 PM
He has the 7300 card. I think there will be issues.

Shad.....power supply as Steamwake suggested?:hmm: Hmmmmm...could be getting somewhere.

Commander Ryan
04-11-07, 01:02 PM
Hi there new to the forum but enjoying the buzz
Ive just purchased a ATI RADEON 9550 256mb 8XAGP CARD and it seems to be running great I had PCI but invested in a new motherboard with AGP and its Great.

I Was just wondering if you could tell me how to get a picture at the side of my profile i went to edit signature but it only comes up at the end of my messages not sure what to do please can someone help

FIREWALL
04-11-07, 01:03 PM

Shad.....power supply as Steamwake suggested?:hmm: Hmmmmm...could be getting somewhere.

Who mentioned a 7300 card ?

Cakewalk
04-11-07, 01:07 PM

Who mentioned a 7300 card ?

Shad43 in his first post.

FIREWALL
04-11-07, 01:22 PM
OOPS!!!:oops:

Partsking
04-11-07, 01:24 PM
I'd look into getting a Zalman to go on your x1600. Should reduce your temps up to 10-15c on both idle and load. You'll be able OC that card and squeeze out some extra performance after that. :rock:

Here's your link:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118006

shad43
04-11-07, 01:41 PM
Its curious that you mentioned the power supply.

Let me relate and experience I have had.

I purchased an X1800 and installed it in my machine. It whistled and whined and the little fan was running its bearings off untill...... POP and the machine quit. It took about 2 hours.

I had blown the fuse in the power supply. I went out and bought a new larger power supply. After installation the fan on the video card now just idles and cruises along. Ive had no problems since.

My theroy is that the old smaller supply could not keep the voltage at necessary levels causing an increase in the current therefore increasing the heat.

Anyhow it is good that you have figured in your power supply in the considerations and werent a dummy like me ;)
This could very well be my issue, 300 watt ps - x1600 300 watt minimum.
Perhaps I can find a bigger ps that will work, I have an HP A730N with a ASUS
PTDG1-LA mb, I know that some of the big name computers, Dell for instance don't like to have the ps changed, will fry the mb (I've read) anyway I cant find any info regarding my particular setup...so maybe I can swap her out with no troubles.

Thanks for the info's guys
Cheers :D

shad43
04-11-07, 01:54 PM
Ok, I've found a few ps that fit my budget, now if the dimensions are similar (to fit in the case) and the dongles supplied with the new ps match the old HP ps, it should work?...is there anything else to consider? :hmm:

Think I've answered my own question...looks like this will work
Thermaltake / PurePower / 430-Watt / ATX / Dual 80mm LED Fan / 20/24-Pin / SATA Ready / PCI-E Ready / Power Supply (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1389575&CatId=1078)

within the budget, maybe I'll give it a try, if all else fails at least I've got a better ps.

Partsking
04-11-07, 02:09 PM
I'd go higher if I were you. Minimum of a 550 if possible. That'll leave you some room for upgrading the card later.

shad43
04-11-07, 02:15 PM
I'd go higher if I were you. Minimum of a 550 if possible. That'll leave you some room for upgrading the card later.

I thought of that but I'll most likely get a new system before I spend much more on the one I got, so 400 is plenty, not to mention the price :up:

AVGWarhawk
04-11-07, 03:11 PM
Ok, I've found a few ps that fit my budget, now if the dimensions are similar (to fit in the case) and the dongles supplied with the new ps match the old HP ps, it should work?...is there anything else to consider? :hmm:

Think I've answered my own question...looks like this will work
Thermaltake / PurePower / 430-Watt / ATX / Dual 80mm LED Fan / 20/24-Pin / SATA Ready / PCI-E Ready / Power Supply (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1389575&CatId=1078)

within the budget, maybe I'll give it a try, if all else fails at least I've got a better ps.

Might cure the ills! Let us know!

shad43
04-11-07, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the reply's!

Incandescent
04-11-07, 03:32 PM
If you are going to buy a new power supply, spent the extra money and get a stable platform upon which you can build.

550W min. Must have SLI, 6-prong plugs too.

AVGWarhawk
04-11-07, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the reply's!

Hey, just read in another thread that higher power supply helps prevent over heat on cards:hmm:. By God man....you just might be in good standings with the new power supply:yep:

cmdrk
04-11-07, 04:08 PM
Just some info to your first post's question
"I see the 6600 is supported by SH4, is anybody running one?",

I have a GForce 6600GT OC 128 ddr2 AGP card from MSI, which has Dynamic Overclock Technology. It takes 300w and I have a 350w supply.

The results with settings at med and no post processing or environmental effects - I get 20fps in Pearl, 30's to 40's fps at sea and in convoys, and 30's to 60's fps in the sub.

It still looks good to me and plays fairly smooth. I checked on other cards that would work - not many to pick from that are AGP - a review on a 7600GS card was just a few fps faster, not worth the $150-$200.

This game has me itching to buy a new system, but it will have to wait.

shad43
04-11-07, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the reply's!
Hey, just read in another thread that higher power supply helps prevent over heat on cards:hmm:. By God man....you just might be in good standings with the new power supply:yep:

I love it when a plan comes together :D

Hartmann
04-11-07, 06:43 PM
I have a 6600 gt 128 ddr3 no OC and i donīt recommend buy it for sh4 .

It runs between 10 and 25 frames with everything out,depending if is in the bridge,control,room,convoys.

Afortunately the mouse runs decently , and sh4 as a naval simulator is playable.
With this frames, an action game could be unplayable.
But is in the edge .

Iīm looking for a cheap agp card for a final upgrade of my 2400+ and 1gb ddr400 of ram before build a new computer and use the actual as a backup or second line machine. but it depends of the prices.. perhaps could be better wait and upgrade all,( mainboard Pci-X,cpu duo, 8.XXX)

SteamWake
04-11-07, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the reply's!

Its a good thing where folks can learn by others mistakes :rock:

Grunt
04-12-07, 12:47 AM
GeForce 7900GT 256MB, and no problems whatesoever.

TopcatWA
04-12-07, 06:36 AM
Just some info to your first post's question
"I see the 6600 is supported by SH4, is anybody running one?",

I have a GForce 6600GT OC 128 ddr2 AGP card from MSI, which has Dynamic Overclock Technology. It takes 300w and I have a 350w supply.

The results with settings at med and no post processing or environmental effects - I get 20fps in Pearl, 30's to 40's fps at sea and in convoys, and 30's to 60's fps in the sub.

It still looks good to me and plays fairly smooth. I checked on other cards that would work - not many to pick from that are AGP - a review on a 7600GS card was just a few fps faster, not worth the $150-$200.

This game has me itching to buy a new system, but it will have to wait.

:) I'm running the same card on the settings quoted but using a 500w power supply because of the extra gear on my PC. The game [ver.1.1] runs smooth apart from the bugs experienced by all since the game was produced. If you don't want to go to the expence for resolution the 6600 is a good middle of the road graphics card for a cheap price.
Cheers