PDA

View Full Version : AoB for "On the Move" fish slinging

Stoli
04-11-07, 09:59 AM
Mission: Convoy Training at the Naval Academy. Using the excellent intercept guides found in this forum; I positioned the boat at a good 90 degree angle perpendicular to the leading Destroyers track. Destroyer takes a fish right in the midsection – yeah Happy Days! Then the convoy starts alternating their course (no longer following the straight track). I chase down and miss a Large Tanker at 700km THREE TIMES… I can still hear the snickering of my crew when I leave the room.

So,
Are they any guides out there that discuss manual targeting “On the Move” or setting the AoB while not perpendicular?

Take Care.

danlisa
04-11-07, 10:03 AM
Dude, you've typed in black. We users of the Smart Dark Forum skin can't read it.:yep:

POSTED for the benefit of others.:up:

Mission: Convoy Training at the Naval Academy. Using the excellent intercept guides found in this forum; I positioned the boat at a good 90 degree angle perpendicular to the leading Destroyers track. Destroyer takes a fish right in the midsection – yeah Happy Days! Then the convoy starts alternating their course (no longer following the straight track). I chase down and miss a Large Tanker at 700km THREE TIMES… I can still hear the snickering of my crew when I leave the room.

So,
Are they any guides out there that discuss manual targeting “On the Move” or setting the AoB while not perpendicular?

Take Care.

Maraz
04-11-07, 11:20 AM

So,

Take Care.

You must sink merchant ships, not destroyers, didn't they tell you that at the Academy? :D

Yes, they are difficult to hit when zig-zagging (that's why they do zig-zag :D ), best shots are when you are still undetected.

Maraz

GreyOctober
04-11-07, 12:31 PM
Targetting on the move requires a fair ammount of practice. Here are some tips:

1. On a zig-zagging ship position yourself directlly behind it at about 500 or less (no less than 350), and magnetic torps only. Anticipate his next maneuver and input the aob accordigly. (check his speed aswell). It should be around 150 deg off his starboard or port side (turn off tdc updates). once hes about to reach his maximum arc (close to 150 deg) TORPEDO LOS! You can try to run parallel to it but its way more complicated as youll have to maintain sepparation.
2. On straight running ships, everything works as long as you dont get too close and it starts zigging (which emans back to base 1 for you). easiest thing would be running parallel to it about 500-600 meters. Match speed and set the aob to 90 deg and youre all set.

As a sidenote: Even in youre matching the targets speed, it doesnt mean that the TDC speed should be 0 just because the relative speed between you and your target is also 0. TDC speed should be targets speed regardless.

Welcome to Subsim Herr Kaleun!
Good hunting!

Grey

CaptainAsh
04-11-07, 02:42 PM
the zigzaging move as a cycle. Use it!
Take your time to calculate the relative speed. I mean the speed he would need to have to go from A to B with a straight heading. Use it as the target speed, with a spread shot of 2 fishes it should be alright.
The major issue is not having your fishes in the right place in the right time but more the angle of impact. As your target is zigzagin, you could have an almost perfect hit (90°) or a damn one (less than 50°). There is two way to handle this though.
First, and maybe the more realistic one, is to use magnetic pistol. If your angle is almost 90° on impact, then you have more chance to have both fishes under the target but less chance than a fish exploded. If your angle is more flat then you have less chance to have both fishes under the target but each fish has a greater chance to explode. So it s quite the same effect ;)
Second method. Not really realistic but a lot more efficient... As I said, the zigzaging has a cycle. Consider the time of the cycle as T. Using the relative speed (not the actual speed ;) ), set a course for your fishes such as they will be on target in full factor of T. Then, the actual (not the relative this time hihihihi) heading of the target in the impact time is gonna be exactly the same as the one in the shooting time. Which mean? if you re 90° of the target when you take your shoot, then the target will be 90° when the torpedoes will cross his way. KABOOOOOOOM! It s what I m calling the "warp shot" (as I m only considering warp jump from point A to B to C to .... with cycle time between each jump ^^). Still I don t consider this method realistic because it seams completely irrealism to me to have a ship zigzaging with a cycle. It s useful to avoid canon shot maybe but not torpedoes. Random zigzag would do the job...I dunno if it s modable...

Well, on that I will defied anyone to find a more efficient method than my "warp shot" :P

Mush Martin
04-11-07, 04:12 PM
As I read it, the problem may be that your shooting from 700km away
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

[edit] more seriously the real trick is in anticipation in the approach
a little practice and it will come which are good and bad angles and ranges.
timing of the zig to the base course and timing your fish to fire as the zig zagging
ship passes over its base course. also opening tubes unlocking and sliding crosshairs
a bit fwd it sounds like your going to get it without any real help from us anyway
your clearly on the right path with the pre reading.