PDA

View Full Version : TDC Questions

btaft
04-10-07, 09:36 AM
I had no problem with the TDC in SH3 but for some reason I have not fully grapsed the SH4 TDC or process. I could leave it to the crew but I think this would take half the fun away. This is my understanding of how it should operate....please let me know where I am going wrong....assuming I am in a good position.

1) Raise persicope and ID target and check the box. Lock target

2) Pull out the dial on the upper right and hit the distance bar, put the bottom line of the scope on the waterline of the target. Call up the stadimeter and place the water line of the ghost image on the top of the mast of the target.

3) I should now have a distance and relative bearing. I start the stop watch and plot the x on the nav map.

4) Wait 3 minutes and repeat steps 2+3 to get a second reading. I can now measure the distance between the 2 x's and multiply by 20 to get the speed. I can also draw a line through the course of the target.

5) With this information I should be able to enter the speed into the dial at the top and enter a future distance and AOB into the dial and wait for the target to cross that point.

6) When the target crosses that point I can then hit the red button on the dial to send the data into the TDC

I guess I get a little confused now. Does the TDC continue to update the data if you are locked on (assuming that you are not moving). Do I have to do anything on the TDC? Can I just fire away? I feel like I am missing something that I had no problem with in SH3 because well......I am missing everything :D

Hitman
04-10-07, 09:47 AM
Does the TDC continue to update the data if you are locked on (assuming that you are not moving). Do I have to do anything on the TDC? Can I just fire away?

Yes and yes. The moment you start the Position Keeper (Red Button) you start a "simulation" or "prediction" mode in the TDC, where a white cross in the attack screen will display where your TDC thinks the target is in real time (Thus it will move unless speed was zero), based on the data you have input so far (Basically enemy location relative to you, enemy course and speed). That allows two important things:

1) See if your collected data was correct. If it was, the TDC simulation will match what you see, f.e. when you find your target at 10 bearing from you and the TDc also says it should be there. This allows you to refine the solution with minor tweaks until it is good enough

2) Fire any moment you want. No need to aim visually at the target, not even raising the scope. The torpedoes will go for the target according to the TDC prediction, so if that prediction was correct, you should hit it.

Hope that clarifies it a bit more :up:

btaft
04-10-07, 10:46 AM
Hitman,

Thanks for the help!

I do have another questions.

How do I tweak the TDC, do I use the dial in the upper right hand and send to the TDC again or do I manually move the dials on the TDC?

Do I have to manually move the position keeper or does it automatically move when I send data to the TDC.

Thanks again

Hitman
04-10-07, 02:35 PM
No, the TDC dials are not meant to be operated manually. Only the "Own ship" dial is clickable and it will make you cnage course, but it is not the best way to do that. Unfortunately, you must update or change things by repeating the step of "manual input" with the tool of the upper left corner of your screen each time you want to correct something.:shifty: Hope in the 1.2 we are allowed to manually tweak the dials like we did in SH3.:hmm:

AirborneTD
04-10-07, 02:41 PM
Only the "Own ship" dial is clickable and it will make you cnage course, but it is not the best way to do that. Unfortunately, you must update or change things by repeating the step of "manual input" with the tool of the upper left corner of your screen each time you want to correct something.:shifty: :hmm:

HM, do you mean "upper right corner of your screen" ? I'm just learning the manual TDC fire control myself. thanks.

RickC Sniper
04-10-07, 02:49 PM
I'm sure he meant upper right.

That's where I adjust AOB, speed, and distance as I refine my solution. Don't forget to "send" the new data so it gets locked in.

Torpex752
04-10-07, 04:37 PM
Is it just me or is the AOB not updating? I was working a solution last night and the only item that wasnt updating as I cahnged my relative position to the target was AOB! I wonder if its a problem thats class related?

Frank
:cool:

Quillan
04-10-07, 05:27 PM
The AOB function of the Position Keeper can only correct for the motion of your boat, not course changes on the part of the target. It has to assume the target keeps the same course and speed throughout, so if it changes heading even a little it throws off the solution.