PDA

View Full Version : Fix to sleeping crew, torp loading and repairs.

GoldenRivet
04-09-07, 11:30 PM
It seems a lot of people have been posting thread about...

1. Torpedoes wont load even when on time compression.
2. crew falls asleep mid patrol and everything stops
3. Crew wont repair damage

the main events that cause these three issues have to do with two things

the rig for ilent running function - as well as -the man the battle stations fucntion.

If you man the battle stations - all of your crew will report immediately to their battle stations. they set aside eating, sleeping, and all other activities not immediately related to fighting. They receive an "efficiency boost" as every engineer is ordered to the engine rooms and every torpedoman is ordered to the torpedo rooms etc. They will stay in their battle stations until overcome with fatigue - then they fall sleep just like any real human being would do if left at battle stations for 3 or 4 straight days.

if you rig for silent running - the engines go to ahead slow, the crew will stop loading torpedos, they will stop repairing damage, they will whisper, they will tip toe, they will wake the guy next to them to keep them from snoring. all sound on the boat is to be stopped... in real life this means you dont turn a wrench, you dont bang a hammer, you dont play cards, you dont flush a toilet, you dont lay your fork on your plate, you dont sneeze - fart - cough - laugh or cry. If your nose whistles when you breathe then yu have to breathe through your mouth... you dont make a peep until the captain orders to secure from silent running PERIOD.

i think what is happening - we have all done this once - is that we will order a "rig for silent running" condition and it must be maintained until all is clear... but when all is clear we forget to secure from silent running.

also

when preparing to enter the fight we order "battle stations" every man in the boat leaps to action - our torpedoes are loaded faster and the gunners are ready with an itchy trigger finger for anything the IJN can toss at them. when the battle is over and we sail away victoriously we forget to "secure from battle stations".

so - to prevent myself from doing this i have made my own poor man's fix.

get a memo pad with the sticky on the back - you know the kind - tear off three memo slips.

write "SILENT RUNNING" on one

write "BATTLE STATIONS" on one

and write "CONDITIONS NORMAL" on the other

whenever you initiate any of the above conditions just stick the corresponding note to the bottom of your monitor.

when you break off from the action and are sailing away - hopefully the sticky note on your monitor that says "SILENT RUNNING" will clue you in - oh yeah... secure from silent running -duh. and every man will take a deep breath of relief. Seaman Jones will go back to snoring, Lt. Stevens will go back to letting his nose whistle, the torpedo rooms will go back to loading your fish into the tubes and the card games and what not will resume.

at least this will work until someone makes a mod that causes words to appear on the bottom of the screen that indicate which condition you are in - because the default buttons make it hard to tell when it is activated and when it is not.

just an idea :D

flyingdane
04-09-07, 11:50 PM
Yep" sure hope these are on ther list of important fixes. :hmm:

Camaero
04-10-07, 01:23 AM
I know I have forgotten to secure from battle stations. Once I realized my terrible mistake, I took the boat real deep and gave the crew a good long while to rest up and recover.

Meridian
04-10-07, 04:04 AM
This is what I use ATM and I haven't forgot to secure from Battle Stations or silent Running yet.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=109493

U56
04-10-07, 06:32 AM
This is what I use ATM and I haven't forgot to secure from Battle Stations or silent Running yet.

Agreed! That mod sure made life easier!

Regards

Snacko
04-13-07, 07:01 PM
Thanks for this post. It helped a lot.

I'm not sure if it's a bug or what. But I'm on my first career and over the past 3 days I have used up all of my first torpedos. The green lights have been flashing for a while, but I wasn't sure what that meant. Now I am lined up to sink a convoy and all of my fore torpedos are flashing green.

So, from what I can figure, even my first torpedo tube that I shot several days ago has not yet reloaded!!!? And I thought that I had not been managing my crew, but from what I've read here, that is not the problem. So, I didn't know about the battlestations thing till just now. So, I've got that on now, hoping my crew will get their ass together and load a torpedo!!

I'm wondering if this is one of those saved file bugs. Where if you save a mission and reload it, stuff gets screwed up?

robert4260
04-13-07, 10:04 PM
I had the same problem, and had to wait three or four days for them to finally load. GQ was off and Silent running was off. Their efficiency was reading approximately 33%. It finally corrected itself. I really don't know what caused it. :arrgh!:

Ostfriese
04-14-07, 01:04 AM

Use this together with the mod that makes pressed buttons looking green, and you won't forget to secure from battle stations or silent running anymore.

Takao
04-14-07, 01:11 AM
I have not experienced problems 1 & 3, but I have had #2. the first watch was totally fatigued, while the rest of the crew slept. Before you ask, No I wasn't at GQ. I located and attacked a carrier task force, sinking 2 Shokaku class CVs and 1 Akizuki class DD. There still remains 1 Shokaku(Yes, a third Shokaku, don't ask), 1 Takao, 1 Furutaka, 2 Chitose seaplane carriers, and 2 tankers. I was/am in the process of doing an end run on the Task Force, which is taking awhile, because of 2 ASW patrols from the carriers and the occasional Mavis from Japan(I'm several hundred miles SSW of Honshu). So, its run like hell, dive, run like hell, dive, rinse, repeat.

Now, while running on the surface, I hear the engines stop, and the USS Tuna starts losing speed. Every order is met with cannot comply. So, I check the crew manifest. Low and behold, the First Watch is totally fatigued, and the 2nd and 3rd watches are all sleeping. Screw 'em, I sound GQ and we get going again. Then, I stand down from GQ 1st watch, still wasted, goes back to work, and 2nd & 3rd go back to sleeping. AAAARGH! There is no way I have found to manually change the watches. So, I take every crewman on 2nd Watch and swap out the men on first watch. All goes well for about 2 hours(game time), when Ding, Ding, Shift Change! This is probably the 4th Shift change I remember during this patrol. I figured I had missed them while at high TC crossing the Pacific. Since nearing Japan, I haven't gone over X256, and since picking up the Task Force X4. But, with the shift change, the exhausted ex-1st watch goes back to work and all comes to a stand still AGAIN! So, I swap watches again, and crash dive as the SD radar picks up an inbound ASW patrol aircraft.

Too add insult to injury, I had been hitting "O" for the Observation periscope so much, I wanted the Attack periscope's better maginification to see if the carrier planes were turning towards me or away. So, in a moment's forgetfulness, I hit the "A" key(knowing full well the "A" key is for level planes and hitting it will cause a Crash). YUP! you guessed it, CTD!