PDA

View Full Version : Minimum DC depth setting

GoldenRivet
04-09-07, 09:42 PM
There should be a minimum depth charge setting for these IJN sub chasers.

They launch a hand full of depth charges and they are set so shallow that the depth charge racks get blown up and the ship slows to a crawl and can only manage slow speed and it seemed like he couldnt turn. I think one of them eventually sank from the self inflicted damage.

this was a problem with the flower corvettes in SH3.

does anyone know if any patches or mods will fix this AI function?

or is there a CFG file where the text can be modified to change the depth settings on the DCs. i dont know what the minimum depth is.. i would guess 0 or maybe 2 meters or something like that, but it really needs to be more like 10 - 20 meters minimum to keep these sub chasers from killing themselves.

Acmark
04-09-07, 09:45 PM
Haven't encountered this problem yet. Just completed my first successful patrol (over 60k tons) without a scratch, well besides the damned aircraft almost putting out my deck gun. I'm sure I will encounter what you talking here next patrol.. well I hope not hehe.

tater
04-09-07, 10:14 PM
In the book Wolfpack there was an account of a jap PC or subchaser doing just that. Set the charges shallow and blew the $%@$!$# out of itself.

GoldenRivet
04-09-07, 10:20 PM
in torpedo junction there was an account of a US ship doing that off the US east coast. the ship suffered only light damage though.

i could understand it as a rare - oh hey look at what they did must be a rookie crew type of thing.

but i have had almost every sub chaser that attempted to attack me do this to themselves.

Redwine
04-10-07, 06:37 AM
There should be a minimum depth charge setting for these IJN sub chasers.

They launch a hand full of depth charges and they are set so shallow that the depth charge racks get blown up and the ship slows to a crawl and can only manage slow speed and it seemed like he couldnt turn. I think one of them eventually sank from the self inflicted damage.

this was a problem with the flower corvettes in SH3.

does anyone know if any patches or mods will fix this AI function?

or is there a CFG file where the text can be modified to change the depth settings on the DCs. i dont know what the minimum depth is.. i would guess 0 or maybe 2 meters or something like that, but it really needs to be more like 10 - 20 meters minimum to keep these sub chasers from killing themselves.

The problem happens when there are many DDs bombing you, and some one cross in the saling line of the bombing DDs and it was enforced to reduce speed to avoid a colision between DDs... then, a shaloww depth charge can explode so near of the DD and damage it.

This not happens in a high speed DD bombing run.

peterloo
04-10-07, 08:10 AM
If you traced back to Destroyer Commander, you'l know the setting for US DCs ranges from 50feet to 950feet (though I highly doubt the figures) :huh:

For Japanese ones... Let me see :ping:

Visit http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WAMJAP_ASW.htm to see IJN DC infos

p.s. although IJN DCs are weak weapons, just like Type95 Chi-ha tank when compared to M4 Sherman, they do significant damage especially when you get caught in shallow waters :|\\