PDA

View Full Version : Speed on the TDC

mrfritz44
04-09-07, 05:49 PM
OK, I know these have probably been answered in previous posts, but the sheer amount of argueing and opinion make it hard to retrive the answers.

Please help me enjoy this game by telling me the following:

1. Does the periscope bearing automatically get factored into the fire solution (ie: as in SHIII) ?

2. Did US subs have a targeting computer to calculate speed like the German subs? I'm reading books to try to find out, but they haven't gotten into that depth.

3. If no to both, what method are you using, besides map plotting, to calculate speed?

Thanks in advance,

Fred

elanaiba
04-09-07, 05:59 PM
1. The bearing is factored (actually transmitted) when you send range into the TDC. In other words, its not sent continously.

2. Neither german nor US TDC did have a device used to calculate speed for the target.

Captain_Jack
04-09-07, 06:11 PM
US Skippers had various methods to determine speed:

1. Counting Propeller Revolutions from the Sound Man
2. Estimating based on Bow Wake and Experience
3. Timing the Target from one point to another based on its range (The Stopwatch is suppose to simulate this)

When in doubt fire a nice 2 to 3 Torpedo Spread! :up:

mrfritz44
04-09-07, 06:27 PM
Thank you very much for the info. I feel better about missing now. Another question......what does the "S" represent on the torpedo selector? I imagine it means salvo, but I haven't been able to shoot all torps at once without manually hitting fire each time.

Finally, has anyone else had their torps revert back to magnetic from contact settings? If I wait more than five seconds to shoot, the dial switches itself.

Fred